Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle cable sheath stuck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hey guys,

Replacing the throttle cable and it seems the PO used one with a very tight fitting sheath. It cracked and broke in the tube on removal. I got about 2 feet out before it snapped. Any suggestions? I tried pushing it back through with a coat hanger, but it’s really wedges in there and the coat hanger is too pliable.

Why is it that the simplest things always kick your ass?
Bartlett 914
Electricians fish tape is very stiff. You will need to cut the end off. Push it in as far as it will go. Hold it with vise grips and tap a little bit at a time. My main worry with this is having the fish tape enter the tube. I think you would want it to hit on the end of the tube. I got one stuck once and this is how I cleared it.
mepstein
Spray lube in the tube before you try anything else.
JFG
I sprayed plenty of lube through into the tube. I then used a large adjustable spanner as a handle with the inner cable wrapped around it.

I then pulled and jerk pulled ( kind of like a slide hammer action) until it pulled the sheath through.

It was a proper little bugger of a thing to sort.
Porschef
Just sell that thing already, it gives you nothing but trouble. dry.gif

I do agree with our Welch constituent, I have a slide hammer with a chuck on the end, lots of lube (self explanatory) and patience...

Can you pull it through the front, then run a tracer wire thru to pull the new one back?
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 20 2018, 10:49 AM) *

Spray lube in the tube before you try anything else.

av-943.gif Lube in the tube lol-2.gif
iankarr
Success! Thanks guys. I ended up putting lube in the tube and used a metal garden stake (the kind used to keep flowers standing) to push the sheath pieces thru. The perfect size. Bullet dodged!
iankarr
here's a pic of what I used. In case anyone else gets stuck,

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
You worry me wink.gif
iankarr
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
worn
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jan 22 2018, 12:11 PM) *

Oh, believe me, I am. Mostly of a stuck cable sheath, lubed to the gills, and explaining why I need a flower shaft.
mepstein
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 22 2018, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jan 22 2018, 12:11 PM) *

Oh, believe me, I am. Mostly of a stuck cable sheath, lubed to the gills, and explaining why I need a flower shaft.

Lube the hole. Stick it with the shaft. All in a days work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.