Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carburated 914 boggs down
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LCOX
I've got a problem with my 74 914 2.0. It has dual weber carbs and an aftermarket 009 distributor. When I let out the clutch and start out the car boggs down for a second or 2 then accelerates smoothly. Once it gets past this hesitation it pulls very strong but will hesitate alittle when I change into a higher gear for a second or 2.

My mechanic Billy calls this an off idle bog and said it could be caused by one of the list.
-go up one size on the idle jets -advance the 009 timing alittle
-adjust the accelerator pump on each carb for more squirt
-replace the 009 distributor with a better Bosh 050 or
-go back to a factory Bosch fuel injection distributor with vacuum advance canister

He seems to have covered a lot of options. Any other ideas? Thanx L
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(LCOX @ Jan 22 2018, 05:31 PM) *

I've got a problem with my 74 914 2.0. It has dual weber carbs and an aftermarket 009 distributor. When I let out the clutch and start out the car boggs down for a second or 2 then accelerates smoothly. Once it gets past this hesitation it pulls very strong but will hesitate alittle when I change into a higher gear for a second or 2.

My mechanic Billy calls this an off idle bog and said it could be caused by one of the list.
-go back to a factory Bosch fuel injection distributor with vacuum advance canister

I had exactly the same problem. I got some different size idle jets and found a size that worked great. It might take a little trial and error. A better distributor might help as well.
LCOX
ok thanx
Mblizzard
The 009 is well known for this. Correct jets can help but replacing the 009 is likely the solution.
Ansbacher
I would not ditch the 009 yet. I have dual carbs and an 009 and went through the same thing you are going through. I found that going to an 050 dizzy made the car feel a bit wimpy and you will never achieve a nice idle with it. I found increasing the pump jet squirt and upping my MAIN jet size are what did the trick. Now have zero off idle bog.

Ansbacher
SirAndy
What size venturis are you running?

I had an off idle flat-spot that couldn't be tuned out until i finally went with a smaller venturi size to increase air speed.

If i recall correctly i had to choke them down to 32s, that was on a warmed over 2056.
popcorn[1].gif
gothspeed
In addition to the bogging ...does it cough/spit back at all through the carbs during the flat spot?
7TPorsh
There's a "jet" that sits in the bottom of the float bowl. Usually it's too small for a hot engine. I went from 50? to 0? and no bog.
moost
I have the same problem.. it bogs until 3k and accelerates smoothly in the top end. Every gear is like this.
gothspeed
QUOTE(moost @ Jan 22 2018, 11:35 PM) *

I have the same problem.. it bogs until 3k and accelerates smoothly in the top end. Every gear is like this.

What type of distributor or ignition are you running?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 22 2018, 07:06 PM) *

I had an off idle flat-spot that couldn't be tuned out until i finally went with a smaller venturi size to increase air speed.

If i recall correctly i had to choke them down to 32s, that was on a warmed over 2056.
popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif I also went to 32 venturis. smile.gif
moost
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jan 23 2018, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(moost @ Jan 22 2018, 11:35 PM) *

What type of distributor or ignition are you running?

I'm not sure what distributor or carb setting im running.
MarkV
QUOTE(LCOX @ Jan 22 2018, 06:31 PM) *

The Bosch 050 wont help your problem. That's the same distributor I was running with the same off idle bog. If I remember correctly the problem has to do with the range of available advance. If you set it to advance to 27 degrees the timing/advance at idle is wrong. You need a distributor that has a more adjustable advance curve like a Mallory or a 123 or something more adjustable.
porschetub
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 23 2018, 04:06 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Such a common problem with carbs on here,too larger vents and you have that low speed flat spot,no getting around it no matter what timing or distributor used it won't go away.
Carb specs are needed here otherwise not much anyone can do on to help.
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 22 2018, 10:06 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

My 2056 with 44IDF's bog issue was solved the same way. 32mm venturi solved ALL my drivability issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.