Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone completed a 914rubber Back Pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I have this attraction to things I know absolutely nothing about. A propensity if you will. I purchased 914rubber's 3 piece back pad and vinyl kit. The red car didn't have one so I'd little choice in the matter. Before I jump in and screw this up I thought I'd ask if any of you have purchased Mikey's back pad kit and if so, have you some install pic's and "how to tips"? If not you get to watch me screw one up. TIA, Kent beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Pretty sure there is a write up, Have you searched?
ConeDodger
Kent,
There is a classic thread. I did, with the help of my upholsterer friend. I was supposed to take pics, but Bill had me holding this and going to get that. blink.gif

It turned out nicely.

We may redo it using the latest iteration of the kit and film it for the 914Rubber website. The kit has improved since mine. It was fiberglass, which is a big improvement over fiberboard. It’s now plastic, so it’s smooth and none of the fiberglass irregularity transfers through.

Bottom line, it comes out fine. Are you going to take it to an upholsterer or DIY?
Mikey914
In the process of a new write up. Basically you can use the old pieces as a template as to how they attach together. There is no need to be precise as we do not need the tinnerman nuts like factory as plastic is thick enough to just screw together. You can layout the pieces as shown in the picture on the website and fasten together without the vinyl and padding, disassemble and use these for your guide holes when assembling after covering.
76-914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 24 2018, 07:57 AM) *

Pretty sure there is a write up, Have you searched?

I forgot that I can use Google to search this site. And yes, there is a decent write-up. I found that I need a back pad to scavenge the foam pieces from. beerchug.gif
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2018, 08:45 AM) *

In the process of a new write up. Basically you can use the old pieces as a template as to how they attach together. There is no need to be precise as we do not need the tinnerman nuts like factory as plastic is thick enough to just screw together. You can layout the pieces as shown in the picture on the website and fasten together without the vinyl and padding, disassemble and use these for your guide holes when assembling after covering.

Thx, I'll check your site now. beerchug.gif
StratPlayer
I will have mine done, I have to go through the same process.
76-914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2018, 08:45 AM) *

Couldn't find it on either of your sites, Mark. How about a link? BTW, I did leave a review w/suggestions for another of.your products. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Yes I have yet to post up. I hope to do so this week. as I have one to do also.
mark
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We have installed many of mark's fiberglass back pad pieces and all have been excellent. Our back pad recovering kit and the foam blocks fit is perfectly and when installed in the car, one cannot tell that it is not the original

We applaud him for making the new plastic ones now as they will certainly be superior to fiberglass (like most parts would be) Would be really great though to sell the three pieces with the attachment clips riveted on. The clips must be made of strong steel though so that they will not bend when being pushed into the four receivers on the back wall. Hopefully Mark can find some really strong steel that will not bend under pressure.

Mikey914
Hey guys spent some time yesterday getting to the point I can start this.
I can tell you this from the test piece we did earlier these are much easier to work with than the fiberglass. You can actually staple to the back pad material like OEM. That's where these shine
dgraves
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 24 2018, 09:49 AM) *

I have this attraction to things I know absolutely nothing about. A propensity if you will. I purchased 914rubber's 3 piece back pad and vinyl kit. The red car didn't have one so I'd little choice in the matter. Before I jump in and screw this up I thought I'd ask if any of you have purchased Mikey's back pad kit and if so, have you some install pic's and "how to tips"? If not you get to watch me screw one up. TIA, Kent beerchug.gif

I did install the 914rubber back pad vinyl using the classic thread. All went pretty smooth. I've purchased quite a bit of 914 rubber parts and generally they fit great with good quality. I found the vinyl pieces a little short here and there on the excess to staple to the backside. Maybe I got a bad piece. I think you'll be happy with the quality.
n2j2ryan
How did you actually attach the metal pieces to the back pad. Mine never actually with a back pad, so I need to fabricate the metal pieces. Is there any other way to attach?
Mikey914
Sorry guys had a customer drop in and spent the afternoon putting together a package for him. I will cover fabrication of the upper brackets and the attachment of the foam and vinyl using staples. It will be much easier than gluing everything. Some glue will be required on the flat sections behind the seats, but not much.
-Mark
76-914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 25 2018, 10:23 PM) *

Sorry guys had a customer drop in and spent the afternoon putting together a package for him. I will cover fabrication of the upper brackets and the attachment of the foam and vinyl using staples. It will be much easier than gluing everything. Some glue will be required on the flat sections behind the seats, but not much.
-Mark

Looking forward to your "How to". I bought a back pad from Bruce Stone just for the foam pieces and attach brackets. Since this was all I required I picked the ugliest from Bruce's lot. However, I found it cleaned up damned nicely and shall be using it in it's current state.
That being said; before I had acquired the back pad from Bruce I began to "lay out" the pieces to get an idea of what I was up against. The very first thing that popped up was how and when does one tie the 3 pieces together? Do you need an existing back pad from which to draw conclusion. Or should the 3 pieces, once covered, be reinstalled into the vehicle with seats fully back, then screw the outer pieces to the inner piece. I've also noticed many dimpled areas on the flanges. Are these where screws should be located or are these dimples just molding marks?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
You got it. The 3 pieces get fitted together in the car. I plan to just use 4 screws to start. Once the width is set I'll come back and put the rest in without recovering. Also need to assure the upper clips are set correctly and the holes that hold the bottom 4 screws are lined up. This way we know we have a perfect fit prior to recovering.

Then recover and re assemble using the holes I've already made.

You will need the foam and 4 clips from an old back pad. You can fabricate the clips easily (which I will show as I'm missing 2). It helps to visualize the assembly if you have an old one, but not required.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.