Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front End Mounting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
I was starting to get ready to replace all the front end today and I noticed that the mounting point for the passenger side is very different than the drivers side. Is this normal? One is fat and the other skinny. Maybe there was some rust work done on the drivers side? or one was replaced?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914werke
Nope someone did some backyard fab there...
Should look just like the other mount
simonjb
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 24 2018, 07:31 PM) *

Nope someone did some backyard fab there...
Should look just like the other mount

Thanks. Any idea where I can get a replacement ?
914Sixer
Restoration Design.
simonjb
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 24 2018, 08:11 PM) *

Restoration Design.

I looked on their website but didn’t see it
toolguy
Actually, that is the correct metal part, with a few welds added along the way. The left and right side are different. . The correct one for the right side is wider, as pictured in the 2nd post. Here is my drivers side. . identical to the original posters.
simonjb
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 24 2018, 08:38 PM) *

Actually, that is the correct metal part, with a few welds added along the way. The left and right side are different. . The correct one for the right side is wider, as pictured in the 2nd post. Here is my drivers side. . identical to the original posters.

Interesting! So I wonder how/if they changed? Mine is a 1974
bbrock
I just went out and peeked at my '73 since it is on a rotisserie. Both sides look the same and are the wider style as in the second post (Edit: "on the rear"). Could this be an early/late thing?
r_towle
To the OP.
That does not look properly welded.
I would suggest you seam weld around the outside at a minimum.
simonjb
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 24 2018, 09:06 PM) *

I just went out and peeked at my '73 since it is on a rotisserie. Both sides look the same and are the wider style as in the second post. Could this be an early/late thing?

My car is an early 1974 - some components are the same as a 1973.
simonjb
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 24 2018, 09:12 PM) *

To the OP.
That does not look properly welded.
I would suggest you seam weld around the outside at a minimum.

Agreed - thanks
Jeff Hail
Mine are a mirror match both sides, wider style.
simonjb
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jan 24 2018, 09:26 PM) *

What year is your car ?
bbrock
QUOTE(simonjb @ Jan 24 2018, 07:26 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 24 2018, 09:06 PM) *

I just went out and peeked at my '73 since it is on a rotisserie. Both sides look the same and are the wider style as in the second post. Could this be an early/late thing?

My car is an early 1974 - some components are the same as a 1973.

I just remembered that my (Edit: "front") mounts got transferred in from a donor when I patched a rusty trunk. They are skinny style (been a long day). Edit: rears are wide) Donor was either 73 or 74. Originals are in the scrap pile under several feet of snow.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I also looked the part up in the PET. Only one part # for all years (914 501 059 00). Makes me wonder if it is just two styles that are interchangeable. confused24.gif
burton73
I am very familiar with this part (or parts) on my 74 and they are both the very same thing. On my 74 and it is original. I would have to look at my 6 and see

Bob B
Mikey914
Taylors is a 73 and we just went through some repair. They were both the same.
simonjb
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 24 2018, 09:59 PM) *

I am very familiar with this part (or parts) on my 74 and they are both the very same thing. On my 74 and it is original. I would have to look at my 6 and see

Bob B

Bob, are your fat or skinny ?
simonjb
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2018, 10:02 PM) *

Fat or skinny ?
bbrock
QUOTE(simonjb @ Jan 24 2018, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2018, 10:02 PM) *

Fat or skinny ?

Looks like fat http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2563429
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(simonjb @ Jan 24 2018, 06:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jan 24 2018, 09:26 PM) *

What year is your car ?

75'
914werke
Interesting, Im guessing its is a (very) early /late thing.
for future ref. Ive got a lot of this stuff either FS or depicted HERE smile.gif
burton73
So here is a picture of my 6. The 30th one down the line. At my shop before it went to PMB Performance. The ones toward the front of the car look different than the ones to the brake master wall.

Bob B
Click to view attachment bye1.gif
Jeff Hail
The rear mounting bosses are wide and the front ones skinny. I can picture Hans and Gert getting this mixed up on occasion after a Thursday night out at the Brauhaus. (Hans says to Gert: " mach es fit lass den Hammer schlagen um es zu scheißen")
simonjb
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jan 25 2018, 08:45 AM) *

The rear mounting bosses are wide and the front ones skinny. I can picture Hans and Gert getting this mixed up on occasion after a Thursday night out at the Brauhaus. (Hans says to Gert: " mach es fit lass den Hammer schlagen um es zu scheißen")

av-943.gif av-943.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jan 25 2018, 06:45 AM) *

Man I shouldn't have posted on this thread yesterday. My brain was mush after a long day breaking trail up a steep mountain slope on snowshoes for work. But that is exactly what is on my '73: wide at rear (original), and skinny on front (from donor), and they DO have separate part numbers. 914 501 059 00 for front, and 914 501 164 10 for rear.

Amazing what a little sleep does for the brain. I'm going to edit my previous posts so as not to confuse people. screwy.gif
simonjb
I’ve hijacked a pic of another thread and this clearly shows the back are fat and the front narrowClick to view attachment
burton73
That is the drivers side of #41

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.