Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Normal suspension creaking vs bad suspension creaking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72 IXXIV
My suspension is pretty creaky. I’ve got original bushings and ball joints. And it seems to be getting a little creakier. The car feels good, handling wise. No looseness or wigglyness.

What is normal vs. something to start worrying about?

Thanks!
thelogo
. I’ve got original bushings and ball joints. something to start worrying about?

Thanks!
[/quote]

40+ year old suspension on a car thats gets pushed in corners
Not a great idea .

Hope your tires aren't that old

RickS
You really need to change them out, you could potentially be entering the danger zone.
RickS
You really need to change them out, you could potentially be entering the danger zone.
ChrisFoley
The noise could be the torsion bars rubbing inside the a-arm, which happens when the original rubber bushings sag over time.
72 IXXIV
good advice...thanks.

I got a $5k quote from elephant racing to do them....yikes.
mepstein
QUOTE(72 IXXIV @ Jan 25 2018, 12:37 PM) *

good advice...thanks.

If you don’t want to do it yourself, your local mechanic should be fine. I would talk to him about you supplying the parts if he is willing to work with you. Torsion bar suspension is about as easy as it gets. Then get it aligned at a place that knows what they are doing.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(72 IXXIV @ Jan 25 2018, 02:37 PM) *

good advice...thanks.

I have the ELephant Bushings and that is one of the expensive options. I did it myself. Put the car on jackstands. Pull the suspension. Tear everything apart. Clean up the a-arms and trailing arms and have them powder coated. Assembly is the reverse but using the Elephant instructions. The result, though there is no longer any rubber in my suspension is amazing. But, there are other options that cost less and yield pretty close to the result I got. CFR/Tangerine Racing has an option, PMB Performance has an option, and certainly others.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.