Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many feet of line to do a front oil cooler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
Sandwhich adapter, through the long, under the gas tank, and to the cooler and back wink.gif
Joe Bob
You WILL have extra....just measure from the middle of the rear trunk x2 and add two feet... dry.gif
seanery
so, 25 is enough?
J P Stein
Maybe, but it's better to have extra than too little.
Doing it Aaron's way you have to fab it in place cause you can't feed the lines thru with the fittings on....and you don't wanna do it twice... if you're using AN12. With AN 10 and if you have straight fittings it may be easier.
My long runs started right at the firewall and, as I recall, the runs were about 10 feet.
Aaron Cox
AN -10

only need 4 fittings my way.....

so 15 feet each way to be safe?
J P Stein
You could snake a tape measure thru there if you have the holes cut.....30 would be more than enuff. It's only money which is cheeper than agravation laugh.gif
Joe Bob
Buy 30 feet don't cut it until ya fish it thru....sell me the rest for 1/2 of what ya paid for it.... cool_shades.gif

BTW...I just run it up the outside of the longs under the panels....
brant
Oh... crapp... Aaron, I just thougth of another thing.

MORE MONEY THOUGH....

consider the extra $ for an inline (2nd) oil filter
it does take more fittings.
but if the motor ever lets go there will be a good chance that you can save the lines and save the cooler rather than fill them with particulate that would kill the next motor.

brant
lagunero
what kinda lines are you using? socketless blue hose?
TimT
consider the extra $ for an inline (2nd) oil filter

agree.gif werd

Ive had to take apart enough oil systems, clean coolers ( sometimes I cut the end tank off clean, then reweld it) after an engine frag, that an extra filter, or a inline strainer/filter is cheap insurance.
Aaron Cox
thinking of splurging on the braided...

answer mah PM albert smile.gif
john rogers
A couple of things to think about. When mine was done originally it had -10 hose and when I put the six in the -10 was too small, so we did it over with -12 lines. Additionally I got a cheap garden hose and ran it just line I was planning the braided hose and then ordered the length plus a little extra. Racer Parts cut the pieces since they have one of those really nice cut off saws and it is a pain to cut the braided stuff with a hacksaw. I have since used my Dremel with a diamond cut off wheel and it works well. Be sure to flush the lines really good.
drew365
Mine is a 6 with the cooler outside of the chassis just behind the front bumper. I used -12, bought 30 feet and had about 2.5 feet left.
siverson
Me too. I've done it twice on my car and both times used 28 feet. That's for a six with the oil cooler up front (tank to engine to cooler to tank).

-Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.