Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Won't a front trunk mounted oil cooler result in the front trunk getting filthy with dust and dirt?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
First off, let me just state that I am a total newbie here so I apologize if I'm asking about something that's been well solved already...

Looking at the front trunk mounted oil coolers I've noticed that some of those actually mount the cooler inside the front trunk with the front valance having an opening to with airflow in.

Won't that approach also let in any dust or dirt, or water, that the front of the car encounters?
worn
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 25 2018, 12:53 PM) *

First off, let me just state that I am a total newbie here so I apologize if I'm asking about something that's been well solved already...

Looking at the front trunk mounted oil coolers I've noticed that some of those actually mount the cooler inside the front trunk with the front valance having an opening to with airflow in.

Won't that approach also let in any dust or dirt, or water, that the front of the car encounters?

I think in some cases it does, and in other cases things are sealed off. Some of us live without a frunk, and put their cold groceries and beer in the back.. Wait. blowtorch.gif That would roast them!
mb911
There is a shroud that funnels the air out the bottom of the car.. No dust as there is a seal for the shroud..
Tdskip
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 25 2018, 03:03 PM) *

There is a shroud that funnels the air out the bottom of the car.. No dust as there is a seal for the shroud..

OK, so if I understand this right Ben the air comes in and is directed to the cooler and then directed out the bottom of the front trunk via ducting/shroud that covers all the open area so it only goes through the cooler and then back out?
brant
your going to still get a bit of dust or water
it depends on the integrity of the seal

my street car design leaks like crazy
and I've drilled holes in the front trunk floor to drain
its an ex race car so I don't care.

but front cooling is the most effective way to get oil temps down if you need that
Larmo63
My front trunk doesn't have shrouding, and it stays pretty clean. I haven't crossed the desert in a sandstorm yet.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 25 2018, 03:49 PM) *

My front trunk doesn't have shrouding, and it stays pretty clean. I haven't crossed the desert in a sandstorm yet.

But if you do the oil will be nice and cool still!
mepstein
My oil cooler doesn't have shrouding because I'm waiting on Ben to make it. Whatever he charges will be a fraction of what Mittlemotor charges for theirs.
burton73
The system will take air from the front and it will pass over the oil cooler and go out of the car in the bottom if it is a factory GT style. Will it get dirty in the oil cooler outsides and in the shroud? Dusty if you are on a dusty road. Rain. That will make it run cooler.

The thing is if used in this way you will want to clean it like washing your car. Bugs will collect just like they do hitting your license plate.

Now some people will not take their Porsche’s out in the rain like me. That is just the kind of guy I turned out to be over the years. No dusty roads for me. I am a great guy to buy a car from. Now my Lexus I will take on any road anywhere because I can just go buy another one to replace it and I have factory Platinum warranty for 8 years Bumper to bumper

Bob B

SirAndy
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 25 2018, 01:03 PM) *
There is a shroud that funnels the air out the bottom of the car.

Or up, for those of us who believe in aerodynamics ...
biggrin.gif

IPB Image
mb911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 25 2018, 02:34 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 25 2018, 01:03 PM) *
There is a shroud that funnels the air out the bottom of the car.

Or up, for those of us who believe in aerodynamics ...
biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Now that is awesome..
Larmo63
That's why Sir Andy has the rear rack......

......for luggage

driving-girl.gif
brant
we did this in the 90's when it was a wheel to wheel race car:
Steve
If you use factory GT replica parts, there is no mess in the trunk. I've been running this setup for 20 years...
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/the9146gt_fron...l_oem_nos_parts
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/the9146gt_fron...install_phase_1
I bought the replica parts from Getty
http://www.gettydesign.com/914tailbases/914coachwork/
Tdskip
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 25 2018, 06:01 PM) *

If you use factory GT replica parts, there is no mess in the trunk. I've been running this setup for 20 years...
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/the9146gt_fron...l_oem_nos_parts
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/the9146gt_fron...install_phase_1
I bought the replica parts from Getty
http://www.gettydesign.com/914tailbases/914coachwork/

Great discussion, and thank you for all the ideas. Those links were very helpful Steve, thank you.
Dave_Darling
Remember that there are other oil cooler mounting and ducting options. In general, they are less effective than the front-mounted coolers shown and discussed here, but sometimes they are good enough. If you place higher priority on keeping your front trunk intact, they may wind up being options you can pursue.

I have a cooler under the rear trunk floor. It is a fairly lousy location for cooling, but it does drop the oil temps down when I turn the fan on. And I only had to drill a couple of small mounting holes for it, and did not have to run lines through the body of the car or cut air inlets and/or outlets.

--DD
mb911
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 25 2018, 06:17 PM) *

Remember that there are other oil cooler mounting and ducting options. In general, they are less effective than the front-mounted coolers shown and discussed here, but sometimes they are good enough. If you place higher priority on keeping your front trunk intact, they may wind up being options you can pursue.

I have a cooler under the rear trunk floor. It is a fairly lousy location for cooling, but it does drop the oil temps down when I turn the fan on. And I only had to drill a couple of small mounting holes for it, and did not have to run lines through the body of the car or cut air inlets and/or outlets.

--DD

Plus now I have the GT hard lines so the task just got easier.
thelogo
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 25 2018, 06:17 PM) *

--DD

You monitor temp and turn the fan on
As opposed to thermo switch doing it automatically?
(Mine is same location but fan kicks in on its own )

And

Where is the the air exit on this one ?
falcor75
..and even if it leaks a bit into the front trunk you wont mind because unless all your other rubbers are new and 100% prefectly fitted your car will leak in other places....

Carry a small towel in the car and just dap it up after driving in wet weather. The rear trunk floor will dry the towel quite quickly....

biggrin.gif
kgruen2
Mounted mine in a custom box where the A/C condenser used to be. Has dual thermostatically controlled fans. Temps typically run 160 to 180. Highest I've seen on 100 degree day was about 210. Box is sealed on top. No dust or dirt in trunk.
Tdskip
@thelogo, externally mounted so doesn't enter the trunk. I have my oil cooler on the passenger fender well on the '74 911 with the 3.2. Between the heat loss from the lines and cooler no fan needed.

I'd imagine that 911 pictures is fine without fans since race cars don't sit in traffic much.
pvollma
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 25 2018, 10:17 PM) *

Remember that there are other oil cooler mounting and ducting options.

When I was running my 2.0 in SCCA GT-3, we mounted two coolers in series, one in each front wheel well (removing the turn signal assembly). Never got near overheating, even in South Texas in August.

Click to view attachment
brant
We did dual coolers into the wheel well on the current vintage racer.
We needed the space in the front trunk for the 15 gallon cell
SirAndy
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 25 2018, 08:46 PM) *
Where is the the air exit on this one ?

Under the car, never enters the front trunk.

One thing to note is that they are routed that way because the rulebook does not allow for venting up through the hood.

I've dealt with this issue when working on 911 spec cars ...
shades.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 26 2018, 11:49 AM) *

Me likey. I have the same issue, with a 12-gallon FuelSafe cell in there. My cooler is front-center mounted and I'm just dumping air behind it out into the frunk, with the aft edge of the lid washered up. I have some insulating heat shield on the fuel cell canister...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 25 2018, 08:46 PM) *
You monitor temp and turn the fan on
As opposed to thermo switch doing it automatically?

In my case, yes. It would be better if I had a thermostatic switch, but so far it hasn't really been a problem.

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 26 2018, 10:03 AM) *
My cooler is front-center mounted and I'm just dumping air behind it out into the frunk, with the aft edge of the lid washered up. I have some insulating heat shield on the fuel cell canister...

With the stock body, the base of the windshield is a high-pressure area. So I would be very leery of trying to vent that way.

--DD
GregAmy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 26 2018, 01:10 PM) *
With the stock body, the base of the windshield is a high-pressure area. So I would be very leery of trying to vent that way.

I agree. But it's working, so... shades.gif In fact, many times I have to block off the hole a bit to get the temps up.
Tdskip
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 26 2018, 10:49 AM) *

Very tidy indeed
sixnotfour
I love my front trunk empty...
thelogo
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 28 2018, 12:36 AM) *

This cool but i think the ruf style hood is also a very cool solution
burton73

I see how the air is going to get out but how is it going to get in. Too much static pressure in this picture.

Bob B

sixnotfour
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 28 2018, 12:35 PM) *

I see how the air is going to get out but how is it going to get in. Too much static pressure in this picture.

Bob B

i have two fans , but going to cut an opening closing naca duct into the rear hood..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.