Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Wanted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Dobbsy
Hello, I am looking to buy a 914-6 for about £30K / $40k, must have matching numbers. I live in England but I am considering importing. I would like to know what condition I should expect for this amount and if anyone has experience of importing to the UK and shipping cars across America.
If I cannot travel to the view the car what is the best method of checking its authenticity and that the condition is how it has been described other than the sellers photos, I do not want a re-bodied car.
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Regards, Matt
defianty
A good six conversion car is now going for close to your budget now Matt. In fact I've seen a few go for even more. Finding an original matching numbers six will be difficult and if you do it'll most likely be a non running project. Fortunately the exchange rate seems to be heading back in our favour so that may help you.

However if you do find something, I've heard the best people to speak to regarding shipping is Kingstown Shipping, expect to pay in the region of £1.5-2K.

Cairo94507
Hello Matt - Yeah I think that is going to be a hard one to find for $40K that is not a complete rust bucket.

if you do find a candidate for purchase here in the USA, we have good knowledgable members all over the country. I am sure any one of them would be happy to go inspect the car in person and take photos or video of the car and the well known trouble spots. Additionally, a lot of us know the 6-specific parts and where to look to see if the car has been VIN swapped or re-bodied.

These cars are getting very difficult to find but patience is a virtue and I am sure one will come up. Check all of the classic Porsche club sites and post in their classifieds that you are seeking a real 914-6, not a conversion.

Best of luck-
Michael beerchug.gif
sixaddict
I believe you have already gotten the reality of your question confirmed. So we as a community could say it a 100 different ways, but I believe it will all come to a similar conclusion .....your target price is unrealistically low. A fairly nice ( or should I say decent one) just sold on ebay for $45,600 and change ........ BUT ....drum roll please..... non matching numbered engine...Add 15---or more likely --20 % to that and you have a low water mark as this was considered to be a bargain price by most. With matching engine # equivalent would be 53-55 or so. (Sorry news is not getting better)

Lastly you need to find one before the local guys that are also looking do as the extra logistics to sell export can only be rationalized but a premium ...( now that is an opinion) .

I do not mean to discourage your search but this is a non PC answer as I feel you came here to get reasonably accurate information remembering "everyone is a self appointed expert".

Good luck.
TOT
SixerJ
Agree with the comments so far. Work on $5k at least for paying for inspections in the US / shipping which leaves you down on the budget for the actual car (depending on your budget calcs)

$35k is a tough gig for a genuine six (matching or non matching numbers) and will most likely most certainly have the usual major money pit issues these cars tend to have. If (when) you find the issues expect to spend $$$ like 50% of your current budget minimum to get it back to a good six if you don't have the skills or time

You also need to factor in import / VAT / DVLA registration etc. Including converting all corners to Euro spec lights / lenses. Rears lenses are easy, but you need to modify the front turn buckets to fit the split yellow / white side light. Figure on about $700 to all the light work using 914rubber lenses (not AA) and say SPOKES LED conversion kit for the front buckets, oh plus Hella or Cibie H4 headlights. If you want genuine NOS Hella indicator lenses (ex Euro buckets), double that figure

I apologies if it sounds like I have a downer, I genuinely wish you all the best with your search for a -6, but don't dismiss the nicely converted route -4 cars as I honestly think you will get more bang for your buck considering your budget
sixaddict
Great perspective from a fellow countryman who obviously has some essential information for you to plug into you budget calculations.
stevegm
I think it’s possible to find one for $40k with matching numbers. But it will be difficult. They are very scarce, especially with the engine. And it will require $50k + worth of work to restore it correctly. Ask me how I know. PM me if you want to see pictures of one needing that kind of work.
HaraPuzo
hey Matt,
check out the Hemmings links.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?0=0&a...&modelFacet[]=914-6 [b] (you have to click the the 914-6 box on the left)

there is a numbers matching six for your price range. but its quite rusty.
good luck with the search.
might be lucky and find it smile.gif
Orest
Dobbsy
Thanks for all your replies, I did not realise how much they have gone up in the last few years, as I didn't have the money I was not looking. So I will have to re-evaluate my expectations.
So my options are
• Buy a 6 that is a rolling project like the HaraPuzo suggested
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer...id=1&pid=34
• A unfinished project
• A 6 conversion
• A decent 4 cylinder

As I intend to keep it for a long time one of the factors is how much the different options will increase in price. If I buy a project and restore it over time the cost of the restoration should be covered by the increase in value when I come to sell it. But how do you see the prices of a 6 conversion and the standard 4 cylinder.
Thanks
Matt
mepstein
Here's a terrific four - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=320356
gereed75
I suggest that you take a look at Bring a Trailer. They have an excellent search function and have had a nice cross section of 914's go across their "auction block" in the last year or so. I think it is a pretty accurate reflection of cars sold in the public realm (obviously does not reflect transactions between private sellers where prices could vary significantly).

Good luck and welcome!
PancakePorsche
Kind and realistic replies from crowd. I too was you feeling hopeless as cost of six's always outpaced my wallet. In 1982 they were selling for $7500 and I still could not swing one.
I searched using all angles until I got a return using a nationwide craigslist search engine. I short, I got the elusive 914-6 five years ago.

The "thrill of the kill" makes it a very special car to me. As Cairo94507 said be patient. Have your money ready to go because when a good deal comes along be prepared to move in a split second.
Best of luck !
PancakePorsche
Currently on Pelican. 1971 914-6 project $24K
Cairo94507
That car has been available for a while and good deal might be possible. My car, 0372, spent time on the line with that car, 0379 - few digits off. beerchug.gif
burton73
With the gas burners. This is a super deal car. I saw this for sale lots of years ago. Not sure that you would find a better deal. It has me thinking.

Bob B
idea.gif smash.gif
tpines
Hi Matt,

You might want to try Makellos Classics in Escondido. I believe they still have a 914-6 with the matching numbers engine. It's a serious project and I think some parts may be missing but it's worth looking into. Ask for Matt Kenyon. Good luck!

Clark
sixaddict
Suspect they had 52 calls this morning dry.gif
Dobbsy
Hi Clark,

There is not one listed on the website but I will email them to see if its not listed,
Thanks
Matt
QUOTE(tpines @ Jan 30 2018, 04:16 AM) *

Hi Matt,

You might want to try Makellos Classics in Escondido. I believe they still have a 914-6 with the matching numbers engine. It's a serious project and I think some parts may be missing but it's worth looking into. Ask for Matt Kenyon. Good luck!

Clark

Bobby Smith
I understand the reasoning behind wanting a real 914/6. I've owned several over the years. Unfortunately I sold before the market skyrocketed. Now, I own and auto-x a 914/6 GT 3.2 conversion. It's a far superior 914 on all levels except the collectible aspect.
IMHO on your budget you would be better off finding a nice conversion 6. I've seen really nice ones in the $35K-$50K range.
tpines
Hi Matt,

I worked there for 6 months and they don't officially have it for sale. They also have a nice original Irish Green matching numbers 6 in the 75k range. Matt Kenyon is a great guy and hopefully will be able to help you out. Let him know I recommended speaking with him. Good luck!

Clark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.