Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front trunk cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
I bought a cable off an ebay seller in the usa some time ago and went to fit it today only to find it is 5" to short.

It had a zig zag end on the wire whic i thought was odd as it should be straight like the one i removed. So i straightened this out before fitting.

It has the screw in end for the release leaver.

Any ideas what this cable could be off? It was the inner only and is to long to be the engine lid release.
TheCabinetmaker
Got a pic?
JFG
No pics. Once i fitted it i had to walk away before i broke something. It's not going to be any more help (i don't think) i straightened the zig zag end in order to slide it into the outer white plastic sheath.

The thing that annoys me is that the threaded end screws into the cable pull handle under the dashboard. Maybe it's off another porsche.
JFG
So a little find in the loft tonight and now i'm convinced there are different cables but the length thing is an issue. I found an old pull handle which had the remnants of the old cable in it.

However this end was a long rod end with no thread. It was secured by a pinch screw.

has anyone bought a new cable which works properly? Thread end or thread less rod? or does someone have the correct overall length of the inner cable?

I may end up making my own to avoid further disappointment from a supplier.
JFG
Looking at the pictures you can see that the ends that fit the pull handles are different lengths. This is where the shortfall is and thus why the wire does not reach the latch.

Long handle end
Click to view attachment

Short handle end
Click to view attachment

I'm thinking i am going to weld the long end to the short end and will then have sufficient wire length to reach the latch at the front of the car.
Mikey914
Dude send it back. I'll throw you a new one.
Drop me a address,
Mark
JFG
Thanks for the offer but i have it all set up now. It's to late to send back now as bought it so long ago.
JFG
Put it all together and still an inch short. Ladies i now sympathise for just that one more inch! blink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.