Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB - Early mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
J123young
Looking for mirror for passenger side. To match my drivers. Let me know if anyone has one for sale.

ThanksClick to view attachment
mepstein
You want to ask for an “early” mirror.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 27 2018, 05:26 PM) *

You want to ask for an “early” mirror.

This is true only if your 914 is a 70-71 & the early part of 72 MYs, when they used the early mirrors with the sharp 90 degree angle arm, as shown in your pic above.

However, when I went to check your VIN listed, it was for a 474.... in L20E Signal Orange - so if that is the 914 for which you're looking &/or if the pic above is it repainted &/or another later late-72 - 76 914 for which you're looking for mirrors - then get 2 of the late style mirrors with the curved 90 degree arm for the mirrors, & sell this early early mirror in the pic to somebody who needs it for an early 914.

In either case, Porsche did make a specific passenger side mirror with a slight 10-15% convex glass(hard to tell the difference from flat unless side-by-side) which used the same housing as the left one but flipped. Today you can still get both left & convex right side mirrors from Porsche the last I saw - but not cheap (the early rights & lefts are long gone NLA).

However, you can also get a used of any of the early or late left mirrors & just twist it to flip for use on the right side - as appropriate for the MY of your 914.

Also, the welded in nuts on the passenger doors are always there (unless the door was reskinned or patched there), so you just need to locate them & carefully drill the outer skin to access them. Remember to use something like Wurth or Eastwood Zinc-rich primer & paint to match at the bare metal of the hole to prevent rust.

I'm not sure that there is an exact changeover mfgr./build date or VIN in 72 MY when they would all be the late mirror, since they would typically use up the stock in the bins at the factory & even then get some mixed stock of older parts.

http://p914.com/p914_mirrors.htm

So an owner might "guess-timate" for a 72 MY that they used up old stock of any early version of any parts sometime around the late Aug. or Sept. to Nov. or Dec. of the year prior to the MY (i.e.: or 1st half of the MY). sometimes there is anecdotal evidence that most all were made with the new part by "X" date.

PS - You can get the proper size mirror screws in SS from GoWesty.com & possible some other vendors on here. since they're the same screws for my 88 Westy's resto, I just got an extra set for my 914's resto - then I don't have to worry about rust on them.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Fosterjoejr
QUOTE(J123young @ Jan 27 2018, 02:47 PM) *

Looking for mirror for passenger side. To match my drivers. Let me know if anyone has one for sale.

ThanksClick to view attachment

PM sent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.