Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NOS Bumblebee Negative stripes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
deemsriddle
I have a NOS set of bumblebee negative stripes that I have had for decades. I bought two sets of stripes years ago, one set I used on my first bumblebee which I sold in the 1980s. These stripes I have kept all these years. I have had 2 other Bumblebees but sold them unrestored leaving me with these. The stripes look to be Sunflower yellow but they are Saturn Yellow. What would be a good price on something this rare? I am thinking In the area of $250.00 but don't want to be too greedy. Your thoughts?Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Hi Deems you won't be happy to hear this.

Saturn Yellow is not correct for the 914 LE Bumblebee. The factory references all mention Sunflower Yellow.

AA used to sell/promote Saturn Yellow as correct for the Bumblebee because the warehouse they bought only had Saturn Yellow stripes. This from George himself.

I persuaded him that Sunflower Yellow was correct, in conformance with factory literature, once I showed him the attached P+A literature, indicating Sunflower was available.
mepstein
My opinion, since you asked, old vinyl, no matter what the color, isn’t worth anything.
horizontally-opposed
Not sure on value, but PLEASE allow someone relevant and able to produce repros is allowed to scan these for reproduction as well as color—even if the latter has to be considered according to aging, etc.
porschetub
May no stick properly anymore appears the backing has come away...just saying.
deemsriddle
I do think that the stripes are still useable. I had to pull the wrap back to attest that it was indeed Saturn Yellow. I would gladly refund the purchaser if the stripes failed to adhere.

I don't need to sell these. Might make good wall art.

It is strange that George could skew our perception that we believed that Saturn Yellow was the factory color. I always thought the yellow was closer to Sunflower yellow, which I like a lot better.

I don't mind if someone wants to scan these.
bdstone914
I think member JoeBob here on the board makes graphic like that. What is the date of manufacture of the stripes?
bdstone914
Double post.
burton73
The stickem is dead decades long ago. So it is worth really nothing. IMHO
I work with today’s modern adhesive on film and after 15 years it is much less sticky. Really almost no stick

Bob B
mepstein
Bob B knows plastics. My opinion is based on decals we've received with cars. They just don't work right after years of storage.
deemsriddle
I have the information that I needed. This is why I didn't list it for sale. I will use it for wall art. That being said, if anyone wants to scan one I will be happy to send one. I would like to have it back, but not necessary. Thanks. Deems
bandjoey
Ditto on install. I tried a 10 year old stripe and it crumpled into chips when I pulled the backing paper off. Some on the car and some Stuck on the paper. A collectible piece you have now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 27 2018, 04:41 PM) *

Not sure on value, but PLEASE allow someone relevant and able to produce repros is allowed to scan these for reproduction as well as color—even if the latter has to be considered according to aging, etc.

agree.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 27 2018, 04:41 PM) *

I have them in stock both colors the creamcycle was matched from a spare tire.

http://shop.914rubber.com/LE-Style-Vinyl-D...m?categoryId=-1

Even did them in other colors
dr914@autoatlanta.com
You certainly did Jeff, and we sincerely appreciate you doing such extensive research on the limited edition cars, actually promoting them and making them valuable collector items!!!

We bought several old vwporsche warehouses of parts years ago, all odd stuff (Tom knows how many carpet pieces we have left even today) and among them were factory vwporscheaudi packaged orange, yellow and green stripes. One would ASSUME, that they were for the limited editions, and the rare rare "grasshopper" but not so. Volkswagen Porsche made different colors available back then and many installed them. Hence the birth of the fabled "grasshopper" that was never actually made.

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 27 2018, 04:59 PM) *

Hi Deems you won't be happy to hear this.

Saturn Yellow is not correct for the 914 LE Bumblebee. The factory references all mention Sunflower Yellow.

AA used to sell/promote Saturn Yellow as correct for the Bumblebee because the warehouse they bought only had Saturn Yellow stripes. This from George himself.

I persuaded him that Sunflower Yellow was correct, in conformance with factory literature, once I showed him the attached P+A literature, indicating Sunflower was available.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.