Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sneak Preview
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
Over the weekend I test fitted the new Stage II silencer with the Evo header on my race car. It fit almost perfect. The muffler only needed a minor tweak to the tailpipe for a better fit to the valence.
Today I finished installing the guts in the muffler.
I just have to do a sound test and get some dyno results to be completely satisfied that I have a winner. smilie_pokal.gif
Here's a look.
ChrisFoley
and a view of the header.
redshift
You are a craftsman.. look at the collection points on that thing.. what a spider!

Chris, I have to ask man... how much do you charge for a similar flare job, as what you have on your car? Ball park..

M
firstknight13
smilie_pokal.gif i saw this in person on the test engine and was very impressed!!! also saw the shop and they had 2 cars in the "WORKS" very PROFESSIONAL!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif mueba.gif
crash914
Hey Chris!!

at least the tailpipe is on the right side.... laugh.gif

This is my next purchase as soon as I get a job..... sad.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (crash914 @ Jun 1 2005, 06:55 AM)
at least the tailpipe is on the right side.... laugh.gif

When it was on the right side everyone thought it was on the wrong side.
Now that its on the left side you think its the right side.
I live in a topsy-turvy (914) world. wacko.gif laugh.gif

Hows the search going Herb? or are you waiting for the severance to run out? happy11.gif
william harris
Chris: show a picture of the muffler/quiet can. Does everything bolt/fit into the stock location for the muffler?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (william harris @ Jun 1 2005, 08:23 AM)
Chris: show a picture of the muffler/quiet can. Does everything bolt/fit into the stock location for the muffler?

I'll take a picture of the muffler later today, after I finish welding it. When I did the test fit it was just a hollow tube, that's why no pic yet.
The bracket is permanently attached to the muffler and bolts to the two studs on the back of the tranny. I believe that there is no (or minimal) interference with the stock heat shield.
william harris
Thanks, will check back this afternoon. biggrin.gif
crash914
yea, left is right and left.....????

Job search is ok...got a couple leads and waiting on final answers...should know something this week...

I am good here until June 10th...

I might still come to work anyway!! just call me George....
914Timo
VOW !! What a good looking system !!! clap.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I would nearly like to say that, what a pity I have a six. I would love to have that kind of header & muffler. biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
Here's the top view of the Stage II Silencer.
ChrisFoley
This is a bottom view. I'll install it on my race car and take more pics tonight.
william harris
Chris: the silencer is stainless steel? Looks beautiful wub.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (william harris @ Jun 1 2005, 09:21 PM)
Chris: the silencer is stainless steel? Looks beautiful wub.gif

100% Stainless, including the packing material.

Here's an install view, no valence this time.
ChrisFoley
and a rear view
ChrisFoley
One more look, from the end. It looks like there is NO interference with the stock heat shield. It just clears cutout in the the valence.
TimT
Nice..

Chris will you still make one of your phase 9 clones for we who dont drive 4s?

I mean just the muffler
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (TimT @ Jun 1 2005, 09:42 PM)
Nice..

Chris will you still make one of your phase 9 clones for we who dont drive 4s?

I mean just the muffler

You could probably talk me into it Tim.

I'm working on having the stainless pieces cut out by a local water jet company instead of me cutting them one at a time with my plasma cutter.

I've switched to flanged attachments for all my header/muffler connections.
TimT
V-band clamps work really well for exhausts, i know they also add a few buck to the bottom line

ChrisFoley
I'm adding this view of the header to help show clearance for anyone using a rear sway bar (especially Tarrett). It doesn't quite show clearly enough how the pipe drops down once it is behind the halfshaft. I think there is plenty of clearance though.
The header is kind of close to the trunk floor for a short distance, and I have to relocate my starter wires (which currently come in from the side) before I install it.
McMark
That's gotta be one of the craziest header systems ever! I LOVE IT!! Can't wait to buy mine. boldblue.gif
crash914
Hmmmmmm....looks like adjusting valves will be fun....Can we get a nice heat shield to cover up all that stainless? blink.gif

Just kidding...looks great!

Any idea of how the performance will compare to your current set up?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (crash914 @ Jun 2 2005, 06:57 AM)
looks like adjusting valves will be fun

Valve adjustment is easy. The header does not interfere.
I just got through doing a valve adjustment on a '75 with stock HE's. That was a major PITA!
The only place I think a heat shield might be appropriate is between the trunk floor and the secondary collector where it is about an inch away. That is, only if you have anything perishable in that part of the trunk. unsure.gif

According to Jake Raby, who compared my original 912E header to my Evo Beetle header on a 2.3L with peak hp around 6000 rpm there was no performance difference. I expect that the higher the rpm peak the more my Evo header will outperform the old header, due to more equal length primaries and meeting the engineering design lengths within specified tolerances.
An Evo Upright Conversion (Beetle) header was used on the dyno runs of my new FP engine with impressive results. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.