Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hydraulic Clutch Pedal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mowog4
I am using one of the available brackets with a Honda MC on a Subi conversion. Is the spring on the clutch pedal still used? Seems like it would b eliminated.
Thanks
Mowog4
Any thoughts?
billh1963
Aren't pedal return springs used on all pedals...mechanical linkage or hydraulic?

I know the Porsche 996 (with hydraulic clutch) uses a spring. I think pretty much every car does.

Then again, I don't claim to be an expert.
dwillouby
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 30 2018, 07:54 AM) *

Aren't pedal return springs used on all pedals...mechanical linkage or hydraulic?

I know the Porsche 996 (with hydraulic clutch) uses a spring. I think pretty much every car does.

If I recall the return spring is required to assist the master cylinder to restore pedal position.
May have to take a look.
David
Andyrew
You need to fab a return spring, which is opposite the way the stock spring works. So yes, cut out the stock spring.

andys
On my hydraulic clutch setup, I replaced the existing spiral wound spring with one that is wound in the opposite direction so as to function as a return spring. I used a McMaster-Carr spiral spring, and modified the ends to re-create the hooks. I used a small butane torch to anneal the ends in order to make them easier to form. I don't have the McMaster-Carr part number at the office; will have to wait till I get home and dig it up.

Andys
Mowog4
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 30 2018, 09:22 AM) *

On my hydraulic clutch setup, I replaced the existing spiral wound spring with one that is wound in the opposite direction so as to function as a return spring. I used a McMaster-Carr spiral spring, and modified the ends to re-create the hooks. I used a small butane torch to anneal the ends in order to make them easier to form. I don't have the McMaster-Carr part number at the office; will have to wait till I get home and dig it up.

Andys

Thanks, I really appreciate you finding the part number.
Ed
Mowog4
I do love this forum, thanks for the help
burton73
So I am using Tilton pedals for my brake and clutch. I had not thought of putting in any springs till I saw this. 2 masters for the brakes and one for the clutch.

What have my brothers that are running a race set up like this done? What to do for a brake light switch?

Thanks as always for all the info. It make it so much easer that in the old days.

Bob B
ConeDodger
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 30 2018, 11:54 AM) *

My son’s 944 has a return spring. I know this because I just paid for a new one. blink.gif

Oh, and yes it has a hydraulic clutch.
dwillouby
I left the stock spring in place.
Works perfect.

David
Mowog4
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Jan 30 2018, 03:20 PM) *

I left the stock spring in place.
Works perfect.

David

My concern is the stock spring pulls the pedal towards the floor, fine for cable actuated but the opposite of what I want in a Hydraulic,
dwillouby
What the spring does is take the slack out of the system. Puts a preload on the cable / master cyl. Does not exert enough pressure against a properly bled Wilwood m/c to cause an issue.

That's my opinion, have been wrong before. ( but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn many times smile.gif )

David
76-914
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Jan 31 2018, 07:06 AM) *

What the spring does is take the slack out of the system. Puts a preload on the cable / master cyl. Does not exert enough pressure against a properly bled Wilwood m/c to cause an issue.

That's my opinion, have been wrong before. ( but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn many times smile.gif )

David

agree.gif 3 yr's & 11,000 miles later. beerchug.gif
Mowog4
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 31 2018, 08:29 AM) *

QUOTE(dwillouby @ Jan 31 2018, 07:06 AM) *

David

agree.gif 3 yr's & 11,000 miles later. beerchug.gif

Who am I to argue with the wisdom of the Holiday Inn, it will go in with the stock spring. Thanks for the help.
Ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.