Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 914 2.0 v 2.0S
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
szcesuil
Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between a standard 1973 2.0 and a 2.0S? My father-in-law is trying to order parts? Is there some way to identify it with the engine number?

Thanks,
Paul
mihai914
There is no difference and I don't think there's a vendor who lists parts for a 2.0S which doesn't really exist in North America.

The whole S thing is from the early marketing of the 2.0 when Porsche was figuring out what to name the car. The idea of a 914S was abandoned, I think it had something to do with the 911S...
Larmo63
My car is listed on the COA as a 914S.

So, it's an S. bootyshake.gif
Dave_Darling
Did you photoshop the S onto it? wink.gif

The "S" was a marketing thing which some dealers briefly tried. Porsche told them not to, so they stopped. There were a couple of ads, and that was basically it. There were no official "914S" cars. The few badges that we've seen have been pretty obviously made out of other badges. (E.g., a "914-6" badge with part of the "6" cut out.)

--DD
914_7T3
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 28 2018, 05:57 PM) *

My car is listed on the COA as a 914S.

So, it's an S. bootyshake.gif

WTF.gif So you're an originality guy now???

poke.gif
Mueller
I do know there is 914S 2.3 running around Nor-Cal smile.gif

(emblem looks better now that it is removed from plate and polished smile.gif )

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 28 2018, 08:51 PM) *

Did you photoshop the S onto it? wink.gif

The "S" was a marketing thing which some dealers briefly tried. Porsche told them not to, so they stopped. There were a couple of ads, and that was basically it. There were no official "914S" cars. The few badges that we've seen have been pretty obviously made out of other badges. (E.g., a "914-6" badge with part of the "6" cut out.)

--DD

No Dave - that is incorrect, except regarding the badges.

The "914S" was used at ALL dealers throughout the USA up to sometime in early 1973 by VW of America (VoA), who owned Porsche+Audi back then (deja vu to VW's ownership now) - not just by "some dealers" as you said. It was also used by Canadian dealers too IIRC, as well as similarly in Japan as "S"/"SL", & in the UK as "914SC" during all of the 914-2.0 73-76 MYs - but Japan & UK were never told to stop by Porsche AG. it was in fact printed as "914S" on ALL of the USA Porsche+Audi 914 sales brochures & materials for about the first half of the 73 MY - see pic of just one of the brochures back page below (also IIRC on Canadian marketing materials) It was likewise definitely used for Japan "S" or "SL" & UK "SC" markets as noted above), as I've also seen sales info for the Japan market using "914 SL" (see my 914S" topic in the O&H Forum for documents etc.).

However, the "914S" was basically only a "trim package" - wherein you got both the Appearance Group & Performance Group of options "for free" within the base price of the car (ergo "N/C" shows up on the window stickers for the AG & PG & any listed "included" options), but "2.0S" nor "914S" generally won't show up on the COA (but a few have). They included those extra AG & PG option packages in order to attract the former 914-6 market for the also 2.0L -6 - over to the "new" Mezger re-engineered 2.0L -4 engine, after cancelling the -6 after the 72 MY, & notably the AG & PG were added cost options on the-6's for 70-72 MYs.

IMHO PCNA & Porsche AG should list such special equipment trim packages on the COAs, such as the "914S", "914 LE", 911RS", etc. - along with detailing their otherwise optional, but on the special sub-model trim packages as "included" special features & equipment/options - for ALL of them, because otherwise you have no idea of what was actually included on a car with a particular "trim package" or "special edition" car!

A "trim package" is essentially a sub-model term used for marketing purposes, & may or may not be badged (see definition below, for those who don't believe me).

Dave is correct that VoA/P+A never tried to officially badge the "914S" - but a few dealers apparently did do so, because the Karmann plant for VW-Porsche who built them initially had no badges to differentiate the 1.7L from the 2.0L sub-models, & added it as a late change/addition. So they had to add some badges either at Karmann, &/or once sent over here, & maybe some dealers ran short of the 1.7 & 2.0 ones, & then either made do with &/or chose to use something with an "S" to match the sales documents. So apparently the earliest 1.7 & 2.0 badges were initially shipped to distributors &/or dealers to add them after the cars were out of the factory on the earliest 73 MY 914s.

VoA/P+A in North America, & Porsche in Japan & the UK, in the early 73 MY, all 3 regional/national markets took the expedient & easy step with prior Porsche precedent, as was previously commonly used by Porsche to differentiate an up-engined sub-model since the 356 & 911 days of using "S" (Super) or "SC" - & using it then for the 914 with the more powerful 2.0 4-cylinder motor + additional AG+PG options by using those same terms. In fact, since Porsche/VW-Porsche initially had no plans to add engine displacement numbers to differentiate the 1.7 from the 2.0 sub-models - therefore, you'll see many early production (Aug-Sept +/- 1972 build dates) of both 914-2.0's & 914-1.7s with 2 drilled mounting holes for the engine numbers, & 2 production stamped out holes for the 914 badge as used on the 70-72 MY's 914/4s & 914-6s - rather than the later production stamped out of all 4 mounting holes for both the 914 & engine numbers.

To help understand the "trim package" concept, the 74 914 LEs were a similar "trim package" with numbers limited to 1000 (500 each flavor) for the USA - which similary changed the typical 74 914-2.0 with "included" options, including: the 2 paint schemes ("Bumblebee" & "Crememsicle" nicknames), had accent-color matched Porsche negative side-stripe decals, & painted accent-color matching side rocker panels & Mahle 4-lug ("Baby Gas Burner") wheels, Black painted Sail & Rollbar trim but without the vinyl & lower sail trim, accent-color matched LE front lower spoiler (in Fiberglass - replacing the steel front valance) & bumpers, F & R sway bars, center console with 3 instruments & center storage box with hinged padded lid, loop pile carpet, fog/driving lights (but excluding the chrome bumpers of the AG), & some other optional equipment which I'm forgetting (see Jeff Bowlsby's 914 CaAm website for more info).

But in the LE's case it was a 1974 Porsche factory sponsored "commemoration" for their CanAm wins with the 917 racers (& a similar "Jubilee Edition" for the 100,00th 914 in Europe), & so it was both an intentional limited run which was never prematurely cancelled by the factory during it's partial year run in Spring of the 2nd half of the 74 MY, since it was already limited production, & since "LE" or "CanAm" monikers didn't rankle the uppity tail-dragger 911S types in PCA, or so the story goes as to why they stopped using the "914S" in marketing (note that a MY runs from Aug/Sept of MY-1 to June/July of MY). Also, by the 74 MY Porsche had taken over full ownership of the VW-Porsche JV from VW, so they could use the 914 as their production mid-engine sports car, to play off of the mid-engined 917 racer's success.

Also, some Porsche sources have suggested that forcing VoA to cancel the use of "914S" may have been part of the business pressure which Porsche applied to VW, in order to completely take over the VW-Porsche JV (which Porsche did in 1974), since some 60% of all Porsche cars were sold in the USA by VoA. So it could've been due to a business pressure tactic to deny the use of a known & registered Porsche sub-model terminology, from VW's biggest selling market - since 914s were sold as VW-Porsche everywhere else - but the term Porsche was used since 1969 (70 MY) & already had precedent in USA/Canada, & couldn't be denied going forward. Therefore, the oft cited "PCA 911 owners complaining" story may have been more of a "cover story" used to hide the real business shenanigans going on in the background then!.

The LEs likewise had no rear badge for "914 LE", but IIRC they did have a round 100,00th 914 commemorative edition badge in the cockpit for the Euro "Jubilee" or "914 GT" version of the LE (check that at Jeff's site); nor are the CanAm's referred to as "2.0 LE" in any parts manuals, & the sole COA identification is only by their special paint code for the combination White/Orange (Light Ivory/Phoenix Red) or Black/Sunflower Yellow versions of that trim package sub-model.

Whereas, in the case of the North American/USA "914S" - there is more confusion because the factory had VoA/P+A stop using the term in the USA (& Canada AFAIK) midway in the 73 MY, but continued to have it used in the Japan as "S"/"SL", & in the UK as "SC" markets as the Official sub-model term - but none were officially badged as such there either.

RE: 2.0 vs. 2.0S Parts:

In any case for the OP's Paul's question - the parts were never listed as 2.0 or 2.0S - just as 2.0, but you'll want the parts related to either the GA engine code for 73-74 MYs - & keep in mind that the 73s have different EFI (usually ends with -037) & some other parts - from the 74 2.0 parts; or for the GC engine code 75-76 MY.

So look at the PET 914 Parts manual in the right column for to which MY the parts apply. You can download a pdf of the latest PET for free from the Porsche website - at their Classic section, under documents.

FYI -

"A trim package (sometimes called an appearance package) is an automotive package composed by a set of cosmetic (mostly non-functional) embellishments to a vehicle. In some cases the trim package may include a specific model or ending name.
Trim package - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_package"

914 USA Dealer Sales Brochure, Back Page:

Click to view attachment

Good Luck Paul! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Front yard mechanic
I was told the s stands for slow or s box lol-2.gif
SKL1
I've got an old sales brochure somewhere that shows the 914S... but as noted above, the'73's were either 1.7 or 2.0 so if you need parts specifically for a 2.0 that should be all you need to know.

Nice thing about '73 2.0's is that they came with the factory F&R sway bars, etc which were optional in '74.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.