Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 914 2.0 Pistons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
szcesuil
My father-in-law is rebuilding the engine on a 1973 2.0. The repair manual mentions that the pistons should be domed. However, the actual pistons have more of a dwell at the top. If the pistons and crank shaft were replaced at some point, we aren't sure what would be the best way to move forward. Should we use the same type of pistons that are in there or go back to what the factory originally used? If we revert back to the factory domed pistons, would we also need to replace the crank shaft?

Thanks,
Paul
914Sixer
Only 1.7 pistons are domed. 2.0 USA have slight dish NOT be confused with VW bus piston which has a deep depression. Flat top Euro 2.0 are more commonly used for replacement. 5 hp better according to spec book.
mihai914
This is how 2.0 US spec pistons should look. As mentioned, they are dished.

welcome.png
TheCabinetmaker
I've dismantled engines of all sizes. Only once have I encountered domed pistons, and they were not stock. Between the 914S on your other thread, and domed pistons, you have a lot of misinformation. What repair manual said that?
szcesuil
QUOTE(mihai914 @ Jan 28 2018, 08:24 PM) *

This is how 2.0 US spec pistons should look. As mentioned, they are dished.

welcome.png

Thank you!
szcesuil
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jan 29 2018, 08:56 AM) *

I've dismantled engines of all sizes. Only once have I encountered domed pistons, and they were not stock. Between the 914S on your other thread, and domed pistons, you have a lot of misinformation. What repair manual said that?

He was using the Haynes Owner's Workshop Manual, Porsche 914, 4 cylinder 1969-1976. Page 11 says light alloy with steel inserts, domed crowns for fuel injection, flat crowns for carburetors. Mine is a 2.0 with fuel injection.
McMark
If you haven't bought pistons yet, and if you're not building this engine to a racing-rule-book, then get AAPistons 96mm pistons and cylinders. Drop in ready and will work the factory fuel injection.
MikeM
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 29 2018, 10:54 AM) *

If you haven't bought pistons yet, and if you're not building this engine to a racing-rule-book, then get AAPistons 96mm pistons and cylinders. Drop in ready and will work the factory fuel injection.

Mark...does your recomendation include the 96mm flat top set for 309.00 ?
Or are you suggesting a specific set from AA?
Thanks.
MikeM
Bump please...
Mueller
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 29 2018, 09:54 AM) *

Make sure to properly gap the piston rings smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.