Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worth installing new SS valves in my 1.8 heads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
These heads appear to be in great shape, I am replacing the springs with dual springs due to the bigger cam.

The current valves appear to be stock VW units which are heavy and have huge stem to valve head transition.

If a yes to new valves can slighty larger be installed with current seats?

Click to view attachment
McMark
Ditching the original sodium filled exhaust valves is always smart.

Call Dave Bonbright up in Sonoma. (707) 938-8122
He has done a bunch of head work for me and is very reasonable.
He can advise on whether 2.0 sized valves can be installed. I wouldn't go bigger than that.
bbrock
Dave has my 2.0 heads now based on McMark's recommendation. Haven't seen the results of course, but seems to be a great guy. I didn't even send the old valves based on all the advice here to replace with SS.

I've had two different 1.7L engines installed in a VW bus grenade when the original #3 exhaust valves broke. Blew holes clean through the cases. Total loss. I was easily convince not to take that chance with my 2.0L.
Dave_Darling
1.8 heads generally won't have sodium-filled valves.

I would be cautious about going with oversize valves unless you replace the seats.

Modern SS valves should be lighter than the OEM parts, and that's almost never a bad thing.

--DD
Mueller
Now I am depressed......

Talked to Dave, nice guy and some good advice.

$1050 , parts and labor. For some reason I was hoping for about 1/2 that price. I'm just going to put the heads back together, for just driving it around town I'll be fine.

Thanks.
bbrock
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 29 2018, 02:38 PM) *

Now I am depressed......

$1050 , parts and labor. For some reason I was hoping for about 1/2 that price. I'm just going to put the heads back together, for just driving it around town I'll be fine.

Thanks.

Did that quote include larger valves? I'm still waiting for a quote for basic refresh on my heads. That number scares me!
stugray
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 29 2018, 02:57 PM) *

Now I am depressed......

Thanks.

Did that quote include larger valves? I'm still waiting for a quote for basic refresh on my heads. That number scares me!

bbrock,

Contact: Painters Grinding in Denver. They have worked on my 2.0L heads.

http://www.paintersgrinding.com/

They did a valve job and dual springs install for a few hundred.
Mueller
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 29 2018, 01:57 PM) *

Now I am depressed......

Thanks.

Yes, new larger Manley valves at $22 a pop which require new larger seats. It just all adds up. For a few hundred more I could do the group buy of the brand new AA heads that are reworked by Len which isn't going to happen due to cost and lead time. He said 4 to 6 weeks as well, not sure for more stockish heads like yours.
bbrock
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 29 2018, 03:08 PM) *

Now I am depressed......

Thanks.

Yes, new larger Manley valves at $22 a pop which require new larger seats. It just all adds up. For a few hundred more I could do the group buy of the brand new AA heads that are reworked by Len which isn't going to happen due to cost and lead time. He said 4 to 6 weeks as well, not sure for more stockish heads like yours.

Thanks! We'll see what quote Dave comes back with. I also already had NOS OEM springs and guides so that should help with cost as well. I had the same thought about the HAM/AA GB when I saw that quote. Dave gave the impression mine shouldn't be bad, but I haven't heard a number yet. Sorry for the hijack.

stugray, thanks for the tip. Nice to have a plan B.
HAM Inc
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 29 2018, 03:08 PM) *

Now I am depressed......

Thanks.

The HAM GB locked 12/30/17 so not an option anyway.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 29 2018, 05:08 PM) *

Now I am depressed......

Thanks.

What, are you in a hurry now?
that is cool.
Have you considered buying the new castings 1.8 liter heads?
Those seem to cost less than reworking the old heads.

Rich
Dave_Darling
Maybe not that much less. You have to replace the guides and seats, as well as the valves and springs and keepers. The stuff they ship with is not really up to standard.

--DD
Mueller
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 30 2018, 04:57 PM) *

What, are you in a hurry now?
that is cool.
Have you considered buying the new castings 1.8 liter heads?
Those seem to cost less than reworking the old heads.

Rich

Not a huge hurry, just want to get it done in more timely manner than most of my projects that get dragged on for years smile.gif

As dirty as those valve are in the picture, they as well as the valve seats show very little wear or abuse and the rest of the heads are in great shape now that I fixed the broken studs and next will be to surface them, just a light dusting to fix the damage from blow by when the head gaskets failed in a few spots.

I'm still looking for direct fit SS valves, I want to say these are 41mm intake and 34mm exhaust.

The 2.0 valves I can find easier are 42mm & 36mm, if I go that route then new seats and guides, so far $280 in parts for valves, seats and guides and I found a shop local that can do the work in the mid $300 range.

I've spent a little time researching doing some or all the work myself, the valve seats have me nervous. We'll see, I just might end up cleaning the old valves and just throwing them with a little lap work.

edit, look what i found screwy.gif

http://new3acut.com/Instructions.html

I should have bought the Neway kit someone was selling in the classifieds last year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.