Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheel conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thelogo
Anyone tell me what year and where to look for this wheel
And what issues should i expect when trying to install on the teener pray.gif

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/d/p...6453937885.html
PanelBilly
I have the same wheel on my car. It’s off center so it gives you more leg room when your steering straight and it gets tighter when you turn. Not a problem for me but I plan to lower the floor pan to give me extra head and leg room soon. Bolt right up with no adapter.
SirAndy
Looks big and heavy ...
idea.gif
Dave_Darling
We got a used one from an 86 Carrera. Put it in my wife's 911SC. We got it because that particular one had the extended hub, moving the wheel away from the dashboard a bit.

I would expect that you would need a different steering shaft with splines for the 911 wheel, and you'd need to drastically modify the plastic cladding on the steering column in order to fit the wheel at all.

--DD
burton73
I had the very same wheel on my 86 Carrera that needed the leather stitched. I never liked the look of that wheel and I bought a brand new one from a Turbo Carrera. No idea how to get it to work on non-911 or 914-6 steering column. Crest extra.

Bob B

Today Porsche 911 930 930S Sport Steering Wheel Genuine NEW
$895.00

Click to view attachment beerchug.gif beerchug.gif drooley.gif
brant
These wheels come in two different flavors

One is splined for a 944. The other for a 911

I no longer remember when the 914 splines changed
I thought the 914/6 had the same splines as a 911 but notlater 4’s

Like I said I dont remember

However the wheel still won’t be the correct depth to the housing

I run that wheel
Mine was a 944 part number
I bought a 944 steering shaft and had it cut off to the correct length and then had a machinist respline it for me
mepstein
Early 911, 914-6, early 914 all have the same splines and shaft. The later 914-4 ‘72 on, changed the shaft slightly. Still the same splines but sits a bit different due to a chamfer. I don’t remember when 911’s changed splines to the later wheels.
burton73
posted twice
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.