Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting -6 engine cooler delete option
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...e-new-post.html

I personally like it and plan to run one on my car.. This gives me the filtration I desire and allows me to run 1 t stat and spal fans upfront.

Mueller
That is nice, good price as well.
raynekat
Basically the same setup as a 964/993.

I personally don't like it.
You're losing the closest and best source of cooling.
I actually have seen the opposite, folks putting on board coolers on the 964/993 engines in place of the 2nd factory filter.

Different strokes for different folks.
Justinp71
What I like about this is anything that goes in your oil tank will get filtered out first before going in your oil galley. I believe with the factory design if you drop a piece of dirt in your oil tank it circulates through your motor once before getting collected in the oil filter. I wouldn't install this now though because I would need a larger front oil cooler.
jcd914
What I like about this method is that it filters the oil before it goes to the engine bearings and such. The original system filters the oil just before it is returned to the tank which mean clean oil, unless something accidentally get into the oil tank.

I agree the close proximity of the cooler to the bearing and such is a good idea as well.
On Rons race car we ran an adapter there instead of the cooler and ran the oil through and external cooler and filter.

Some of the factory race cars ran filters there instead of the cooler.

Jim
mb911
For my 2.4 the front cooler will be plenty..
brant
Depends on redline.

Spend the majority of your time north of 7,000 right m and you can’t have too much cooling. I’m running 3 coolers and 235Fnow on my 2.0/6
Larmo63
With my cooler, flaps and front cooler, my gauge hardly ever budges. Ever.

I know Adam, he does know his shit on these cars.
Mueller
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 29 2018, 06:19 PM) *

With my cooler, flaps and front cooler, my gauge hardly ever budges. Ever.

I know Adam, he does know his shit on these cars.

We need to give him some grief for not showing us here directly, we had to hear about second hand smile.gif
mb911
He has a lovely -6 he built as well..
jd74914
I'm a little surprised he didn't have it sand cast and then finish machined given his engine case relationships. Nice piece for a great price IMHO; that's quite a bit of machining.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jan 29 2018, 08:25 PM) *

What I like about this is anything that goes in your oil tank will get filtered out first before going in your oil galley. I believe with the factory design if you drop a piece of dirt in your oil tank it circulates through your motor once before getting collected in the oil filter. I wouldn't install this now though because I would need a larger front oil cooler.

From that thread, here is confirmation of how the oil is circulated and where the danger parts are. Filtered coming back from cool, not from bottom of tank, so yes if you dropped crap in tank it would make it into engine. Catorce is the man, though, and I dig this product. It is a personal preference on cooling, though, as he mentions. Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.