Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One step forward, two steps back...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOEPROPER
So I got my '75 2056 back from the machine shop and began dressing it up. I tested and cleaned some fuel injectors and found that I have 4 good ones. piratenanner.gif

As I got to fitting the cooling tins, I found that the cylinder heads are on backward. CHT sensor is supposed to go on the 3-4 side... headbang.gif I think I've seen this problem on here somewhere but can't find it now. The immediate concern is the wire location for,the CHT sensor. I'm thinking the only correct way to fix is to take everything back apart and switch cylinder head sides.

If I had ample time to work on this, I wouldn't be so frustrated. mad.gif hissyfit.gif
Dave_Darling
You can also cut a hole in the left-side cylinder tin and fab a wire with connectors on the end that will let you plug the HCT into the correct plug of the FI wiring harness.

That's less optimal, but it evidently does still work.

You might also be able to drill and tap the correct size hole in the now right-side head.

--DD
Mikey914
#3 is the hot one so, best off it, but some imput is better than no imput.
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 29 2018, 07:23 PM) *

You can also cut a hole in the left-side cylinder tin and fab a wire with connectors on the end that will let you plug the HCT into the correct plug of the FI wiring harness.

That's less optimal, but it evidently does still work.

You might also be able to drill and tap the correct size hole in the now right-side head.

--DD

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at the 3-4 cylinder head and see if i can drill and tap it. I guess if I mess it up, I can look into that HAM cylinder GB that's floating around here.
theer
That's a bummer. Agree with Mark, though: #3 is the hot one.

Are the heads really identical except for the CHT threaded hole? I never looked that closely... intakes? exhaust ports?

Anyway, by the time you drill & tap you can have switched the heads. It's not that hard, especially on a new build and if you still have with the engine out and the tin off.

There you go: free advice - it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

Good luck.

Mikey914
QUOTE(theer @ Jan 30 2018, 06:24 AM) *

That's a bummer. Agree with Mark, though: #3 is the hot one.

Are the heads really identical except for the CHT threaded hole? I never looked that closely... intakes? exhaust ports?

Anyway, by the time you drill & tap you can have switched the heads. It's not that hard, especially on a new build and if you still have with the engine out and the tin off.

There you go: free advice - it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

Good luck.

Other than the probe threading I believe so.
ChrisFoley
IMO its not worth trying to drill/tap the other head. Cut a hole for the wire in the other tin and extend the wire.
Which head it goes on makes no difference to the FI brain as it's only a warm up enrichment device. Once it's above a certain temp it has no more influence on the fuel mixture.
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 30 2018, 02:02 PM) *

IMO its not worth trying to drill/tap the other head. Cut a hole for the wire in the other tin and extend the wire.
Which head it goes on makes no difference to the FI brain as it's only a warm up enrichment device. Once it's above a certain temp it has no more influence on the fuel mixture.

That's what I did. I don't have a 10mm x 1.0 tap anyway...
malcolm2
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 30 2018, 01:02 PM) *

I was thinking warm up only too. So it is not the end of the world, just not perfect.

HAM reworked my 1.8 heads and He forgot I was using FI and closed up my hole. blink.gif So I had the same issue, but caught it before installation. So I did the drill and tap thing on #3. I think I got the drill and tap from the same place. The tap is limited so the hole really needs to be the correct size.

r_towle
I would just pull the heads and swap them.

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.