Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear suspension questions.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
Hi all,

I'm in the process of taking apart the rear suspension to replace my wheel bearings and trailing arm bushings. After mush cursing and swearing tonight, I have one side almost done, but I've hit a couple of problems.

Are there any tips or secrets to getting the inner suspension ear nut off? It's really hard to get in there, and I've been having a tough time getting any leverage on the wrench.

Also, what sort of tool do y'all use to drive the hub out of the bearing? I'm assuming once I get the trailing arm off, this will be easier to do, but I'm unsure as to what I can use to drive it out.

As always, thanks for all the help!

scotty914
for the hub part put the nut on backwards and flush with the shaft and hit it with a BFH, as for the trailing arm nut confused24.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ May 31 2005, 08:43 PM)
Also, what sort of tool do y'all use to drive the hub out of the bearing?  I'm assuming once I get the trailing arm off, this will be easier to do, but I'm unsure as to what I can use to drive it out.

Here's the tool for getting it out:

Removal tool

Here's the tool for putting it back in:

Installation tool

Read this article for the process:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...conversion2.htm

Good luck!

--
Randy
Eric_Shea
Mike,

I use a 22mm Box End wrench to get the inner off. I've never had any access problems but maybe that's because the engine has always been out biggrin.gif Seriously, a 22mm box end should do it just fune.

I think Scott is describing the stub axle removal. A hub removal tool (as mentioned below) can really help if you have a stuck stub axle.

There's a number of ways to pull the hub once everything is out. You can rent a hub puller from your FLAPS. You can buy an expensive puller for a one or two time job or you can press it out with a "suitable drift" I used an old 911 rear torsion bar (the big end) as a suitable drift and a sledge hammer. I position the arm on my press close to the floor and about one whack is all it takes.

You can check the "Classics" threads for the process of pulling the hub back in. The pictures clearly show the tool used. It's a threaded rod with a 1 1/2" socket (the same size as the bearing). You slip that through the backside and with the original washer and a nut on the threaded rod you pull the hub into the bearing.

Now you see why I put those "Bolt-On" kits together for the 5-lug guys... this job can be a real pain.
mike_the_man
I read the threads on installing the hubs, so if I ever get that far, I should be ok. I guess I'll have to find a "suitable" tool for removing them. I should have something laying around the garage. Thanks guys.

John
I use my 20-Ton hydraulic press.

It makes it too easy. (besides, I need to use it for something)
John
Oops, forgot the pic.

Eric_Shea
Yeah, but you're "old" (see, you even forgot the pic) you need to use fancy power-assisted things like that. Next thing you know we'll see you rolling around the pits on a "Rascal Scooter" w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.