Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to buy gearbox parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Creamsicle New Zealand
Hi All

I have a mechanic who is rebuilding a gear box for my 914. There are some new parts required and I don't know where to go to purchase them. Can some one please advise me who to go to?
The parts I require are for gear box # HA05024
The following is what's needed -
Complete gasket set including seals
Set of syncros (5)
Bearing set

Thanks for any help.
Steve
r_towle
Dealer, Carquip, Pelican.
All of them can get the parts.
shipping is your issue, and the dealer may be better off for you.

rich
r_towle
BTW,

I am heading down to Melbourne again in April.
any 914 guys nearby?

Rich
914_7T3
QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Jan 30 2018, 04:54 PM) *

Hi All

I have a mechanic who is rebuilding a gear box for my 914. There are some new parts required and I don't know where to go to purchase them. Can some one please advise me who to go to?
Set of syncros (5)
Bearing set

Thanks for any help.
Steve

If you would like to stay with Genuine Porsche, you can order them from the parts department of Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, Oregon. I purchased all of those items for my 901 Transmission from them within the last 6 weeks. You can search their website for pricing if you have the Porsche Part # or call and ask for Luke.

beerchug.gif
wndsrfr
Dr. Evil here on the World.....he can steer you to the best supply.
Dave_Darling
If you're in NZ, price out shipping first. Depending on how the dealer ships stuff, it may wind up being less expensive to go through them!!!

Have your mechanic look at the two large bearings in the intermediate plate. They fail after a while; it is common for the outer race on at least one of them to break up.

Those bearings are rather expensive.

Don't forget the paper shims between the intermediate plate and the main transmission housing. They're not gaskets, they are used to set the ring and pinion engagement depth! Make sure to measure the old ones and match the thickness with the new ones.

--DD
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 30 2018, 09:09 PM) *

--DD

Take your breath away pricey.
Creamsicle New Zealand
Thank you for the replies, I have contacted Dr Evil, hoping he can help.
Cheers Steve
Dr Evil
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 31 2018, 09:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 30 2018, 09:09 PM) *

--DD

Take your breath away pricey.

Last I checked it was $1300 for a set of the big six bearings; both pinion, both input shaft, and both differential bearings. I get and sell them at a substantial discount sometimes. Usually, I only get enough to keep some on hand to keep up with build demand. About time to make another order.

The Elring seal kits are "complete", but if your wrench is able to check/verify/adjust the pinion then you can order intermediate plate gaskets from Porsche in multiple thicknesses. The ones in the set are all 0.24-.25mm. You can buy specific ones to match your old one if you wish. However, close has been good enough if that is all you are left with. The kits have the seals you will need. Couldn't tell you the cost there, here they are anywhere from $30-40.

For bands, that is a varied price range, too. I can get new for same or slightly less than retail and may be able to save you some on shipping as we all know that parts dealers tend to run up the bill there. Its an option if it works for you.

porschetub
QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Jan 31 2018, 01:54 PM) *

Hi All

Set of syncros (5)
Bearing set

Thanks for any help.
Steve

Steve do you have a mechanic that has the jigs/tools to assemble the box after repair?,would you mind telling me who in NZ is doing it for you?.
TIA
porschetub
[quote name='Dave_Darling' date='Jan 31 2018, 06:09 PM' post='2573479']
If you're in NZ, price out shipping first. Depending on how the dealer ships stuff, it may wind up being less expensive to go through them!!!

Have your mechanic look at the two large bearings in the intermediate plate. They fail after a while; it is common for the outer race on at least one of them to break up.

agree.gif those bearing are expensive and I note there appears the prices are all over the place from insane to reasonable.
If the OP uses New Zealand Post Youshop in Oregon their shipping rates are fairly reasonable and seem to improve as the service has more customers use it,on items such as these due to cost it will incur a customs fee as we have a limit of $400nzd max,would expect the OP already knows that....I sure do sad.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The bearings are expensive but the rest of the parts are not, if you cannot get away with not replacing the bearings and are on a budget, there are many many intermediate plates on the shelf here with good bearings in them. We carefully rebuild these boxes every week having invested in the special tools years ago.
If the box is for you and are doing it yourself, you could even turn around the synchro bands and use the other side of them. Remember years ago, some cheap cheap mechanics around this town would do that with CUSTOMERS gearboxes!!!!!!! (they sure were taking a chance having to guarantee it, and THAT was when the syncos were only about 15 each!!

QUOTE(Creamsicle New Zealand @ Jan 30 2018, 05:54 PM) *

Hi All

Set of syncros (5)
Bearing set

Thanks for any help.
Steve
Dr Evil
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2018, 06:08 PM) *

If the box is for you and are doing it yourself, you could even turn around the synchro bands and use the other side of them. Remember years ago, some cheap cheap mechanics around this town would do that with CUSTOMERS gearboxes!!!!!!! (they sure were taking a chance having to guarantee it, and THAT was when the syncos were only about 15 each!!

rolleyes.gif Ya, I have been doing that when customers approved to save money for them without sacrificing utility or longevity. Your opinion on the practice holds no merit in reality based on my over 300 builds doing just that over the last 12 or so years. I have, however, had issues with new bands from various suppliers that were too stiff or too flimsy. Ill just keep doing what works.... rolleyes.gif
edwin
Worth contacting Albins gears in Australia. They have a large range of parts in stock and shipping might be alright given the proximity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.