Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting 70 914 6 build. Carbs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mtnbikenomad
I am trying to re-unite a family 1970 914 6 that has engine and tub and boxes of parts in 3 states. Carbs missing. Need advice on Carbs for bench motor. Can correct carbs to OEM later. I believe these are correct. Ebay item 332538448205
Am I better starting with a simpler setup and moving to these later?
malcolm2
I believe the USA cars were all Fuel Injected. So there would probably not be a true OEM carb set up.

Being a newbie on here, you do know that since the engines were FI, they came with a cam for the FI? Lots of folks replaced the FI with carbs. Some also put a cam suitable for the carbs, some folks did not change the cam.

I am sure you can get some comments on how a FI cam operates with Carbs.

I have seen lots of TIV engines running on a bench and folks use a single carb set-up. Try YouTube.
mepstein
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 1 2018, 10:03 AM) *

I believe the USA cars were all Fuel Injected. So there would probably not be a true OEM carb set up.

Being a newbie on here, you do know that since the engines were FI, they came with a cam for the FI? Lots of folks replaced the FI with carbs. Some also put a cam suitable for the carbs, some folks did not change the cam.

I have seen lots of TIV engines running on a bench and folks use a single carb set-up. Try YouTube.

He said six.
mb911
agree.gif

And I think my carbs that I have are original six. I haven't gotten the re build stage yet.
rudedude
I can send you pics of my /6 carbs that are on the shelf. Quickly looking at eBay they appear to be early webers with small venturies like /6 would have.
malcolm2
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 1 2018, 09:06 AM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 1 2018, 10:03 AM) *

He said six.

Oops.....
toolguy
the correct SIX carbs are IDTP with 27mm venturies
Mike Fitton
This should help.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...a-idt-idtp.html
Ferg
Where in Colorado are you? PM me. I know of some carbs that may be available.

brant
the best carbs to use for bench testing... would be the carbs you intend to keep on it long term. No sense building 2 sets, and all of the triple throat webers are pricey

an IDA or even IDS carb will absolutely work on the car
some people want to have the right model number or exact type of carb for period correct reasons, and that is the IDTP carb that is mentioned.... although any of those 3 types of triple webers will functionally work just fine once adjusted for jetting and motor size.

as Ferg said...
always good to see another Colorado teener, where about are you located?
gms
The carbs you referred to on eBay would scare me off, there is corrosion around the throttle plate which could cause plate seating issues. The damage will not just clean up, it probably damaged the throttle shaft bore as well as that of the main jet.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
echocanyons
I have an original 914/6 setup from manifolds to airbox.
I won’t be using these and it sounds like they will be good for your setup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.