Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips on removing rear rotors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
rear brakes off now. The 2 screws/bolts that secure the rotor uhhh wont budge. I dont want to strip the slot in the head. Any tips? my big screw driver aint cutting the mustard.
JWest
Impact screwdriver (you hit with a hammer). Works everytime for me.
tod914
Ok cool james - back off to sears again MDB2.gif
rhodyguy
penetrating fluid, squirt the back sides of them too. to break the rust bond i have a small steel chisel that i put in the screw head and wack it repeatedly. if one should turn out to break, go to the back side and see if you can grab it with vise grips and continue to turn it through. take your time, spray, tap. spray tap.

kevin
TheCabinetmaker
Impact screwdriver is the way to go but make sure your tips
are impact quality( hardened steel). cheap imports will break before the screws!!!!! Read the directions on how to use it.
Brad Roberts
I use cheap screwdrivers that have a provision for a 10mm wrench up near the handle. I push really hard and twist the 10mm wrench.

The other thing I do:

Hit them with a flat faced chisel before you even try to twist the screws.. or just hit them flat with a hammer. This helps "shake" them loose.

I honestly have never used a impact screwdriver on them.... but I know most people use them.

B
tod914
wow that impact screw driver was the ticket. couldnt believe how easy it was using that . thanks
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. which is why I dont use them... You dont normally actually need them.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.