Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Install New OEM style back pad improved of course
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Actually a GB but thought I'd change it up for your entertainment.
A little about the pad -

1st Off this is unlike any that are on the market and the closest to the OEM that is available.

We started with the felt like the OEM. It was then treated with a water repellant. Backing was applied to one side, and a sheet of rubber to the other. It can be glued like OEM. My preference as this car never came with a back pad is to use Velcro to attach the pad and allow for easy removal. Mine will be removed when Cary helps to patch the holes from the previous 5 point seat belt install I removed. It can be take out to inspect for debris and reinstalled using the same Velcro.

More about the pad -
It weighed 68 oz. with the back pad installed. Yes it looks like the OEM but weighs MUCH less (@180 oz.).

The Velcro will be available at $4 a ft. (easily done with 2') It is industrial strength rated at 10b / 160 oz., so should be plenty strong enough for this application.

As part of the GB we will include 1' of the metal tab cover that is used to hold down the main wiring harness (as I undid mine to move it out of the way -forward- on the install)

We will also offer a $10 discount for either relay board cover should you want to change it out. I did as my OCD wouldn't let me put it back. I noticed the plastic was thinner and it was very difficult to clean and make it look good.

So check out my install and notes and let me know if you want the code for the "GA"

It helps to start with a clean surface to apply the Velcro to. As my was pretty clean so I opted to apply the Velcro to the pad. You may wish to do the opposite as you would only have to clean the attachment points on the firewall.

I started out applying the Velcro to the pad like this. Note the rectangles where I added material after to make sure the top stays tucked up tight against the firewall.
Mikey914
I removed the engine deck lid as I also need to attach an early rain tray to it. The relay board cover was also removed to facilitate getting the pad easily into position.

I removed the backing from the Velcro on the lower section, centered the back pad and pushed onto the bare metal. I then went to the center to apply the sections that hold it. The good news is that once applied you and separate the Velcro to reposition it if necessary.
Mikey914
Part of the positioning is to allow the edges to fit nicely under the metal at the pillars. This is where I removed the side Velcro backing and pushed against the fire wall.
Mikey914
Even though it was in pretty good condition I just couldn't put the old one back in.

Mikey914
Crappy phone camera. I'll get better pics tomorrow.
rgolia
I’m in for a pad with Velcro. Engine is out so it’s now or never.
Mblizzard
It is frightening to see how much of my money Mark gets! But he makes great stuff so I am in with Velcro as well!
rmdinmd
am in for 1
Mikey914
I will also be including the retainers that are used in the later models (the plastic stud cap on the firewall). Mine didn't have the studs, so not needed here, but for those of you that do.
simonjb
I am in
Mikey914
Got the retainers and can include no extra cost. will put the listing together and send codes out Monday. The 1st ones will be ready to ship then as we are working through the weekend.
THX All
eric914
im in for one.
ranger
Check out mine at RIX914parts@aol.com a little different.
black73
914 Firewall Heat/Sound Reduction Mat
Mikey914
Definitely different and more expensive.
If you want something that looks OEM with tge benifits of water resistance, I got you covered. Codes going out in a few hours.
Mark
Mikey914
PMs sent to all so far
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.