Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel sender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Biggles
Hi. My fuel sender has stopped working (there is power to it so it’s a mechanical fault).

Anyone taken one of these apart and if so how/any photos? It’s a 1970 car if that makes a difference?

Thanks

Chris
Beebo Kanelle
No need to dismantle. Soak it overnight in CLR (or your UK equivalent). It will remove the scale and allow the float to move freely.
Here, with the high humidity, I have two senders. One in the car; and, one on standby which has been cleaned with CLR.
worn
QUOTE(Biggles @ Feb 3 2018, 10:37 AM) *

Hi. My fuel sender has stopped working (there is power to it so it’s a mechanical fault).

Anyone taken one of these apart and if so how/any photos? It’s a 1970 car if that makes a difference?

Thanks

Chris

You will probably need to take it out of the car. Sometimes simply moving the float up and down will do the trick if you rub the contact along the windings. Plug the hole with a rag tightly so no fumes escape and once the gasoline.uhmm petrol, has dried up, you can hook up the wires and see if it works. There are also dismantling threads for this. Mine wasn't working when I bought the car, but by the time the float had moved up and down from the repeated fueling during the long trip home it started working. Common problem with corrosion over the years. Good luck.
mepstein
Someone did a write up a couple years ago on taking it apart. Pretty straightforward.
second wind
So.....what and where is the fuel sender? I thought I knew my car but obviously not. Thank you,
gg
mepstein
QUOTE(second wind @ Feb 3 2018, 04:02 PM) *

So.....what and where is the fuel sender? I thought I knew my car but obviously not. Thank you,
gg

Located in the fuel tank under the expansion tank. Reads the fuel level.
GeorgeRud
Once you unbolt it from and tank and lift it out, there is simply one nut on the bottom that has to be removed to allow you to disassemble the sender. You’ss See it’s simply a float with several thin wires that change resistance in the circuit as the float moves up and down. The other circuit activated the low fuel warning light when the float is at the bottom position.
second wind
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 3 2018, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(second wind @ Feb 3 2018, 04:02 PM) *

gg

Located in the fuel tank under the expansion tank. Reads the fuel level.

Thank you very much. Now I know why I can't picture it......have a nice weekend....
gg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.