Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plate or Powder Coat?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_7T3
Picked up this replacement set of rear Caliper Covers/Dust Shields.

The finish appears to be yellow zinc plating, however the set on the car currently are black whether from paint or road debris, I'm not certain.

I am looking to restore them to the correct finish and would like to know if they should be re-plated or powder-coated in black. All input is appreciated.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mgphoto
I could be wrong but those should be for a 911 SC with vented rear rotors, they should fit 914 rears.
Sand blast, black satin power coat looks great.
mepstein
Powdercoat the shields. Plate the hardware.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Feb 3 2018, 02:57 PM) *

I could be wrong but those should be for a 911 SC with vented rear rotors, they should fit 914 rears.
Sand blast, black satin power coat looks great.

agree.gif
Elliot Cannon
I think I threw mine away years ago. biggrin.gif
914_7T3
Appreciate the info. I think I will refurb and resell or sell straight away as I'd really like the original 914 ones and not those off a 911. Let me know if anyone has got an extra correct set. Thanks.
aggiezig
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 3 2018, 03:05 PM) *

Powdercoat the shields. Plate the hardware.

+1
GeorgeRud
They do look pretty good when plated in a gold finish (cadmium like). My friend just did this to his 911.
raynekat
Technically I do they came yellow cad plated from the factory.
But that said, I do prefer the look of a nice satin black finish...powder coating being the most durable.
Blue6
Let me check my stash. You're looking for '73 I assume? There are early and late...
914_7T3
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Feb 4 2018, 11:38 AM) *

Let me check my stash. You're looking for '73 I assume? There are early and late...

Yes, '73, but a late car! Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.