Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 to 2.0 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bobco
Wondering what would be different for a 1.7 to 2.0 engine conversion .I have a 71 1.7 liter and would want to install a 2.0. Liter out of a 74? Thanks.
BeatNavy
We need more info. How much are you swapping? Is the 2.0 a complete engine with FI, engine tin, etc.? Are you keeping the tail-shift transmission?

I did this a few years ago, and most of the swapped parts were because I converted to side shift at the same time. My replacement engine had pretty much all the FI parts with it. Other than heat exchangers / exhaust, I don't think there's a ton of things that HAVE to be swapped, but again, it depends on what you are trying to do.
Olympic 914
Heat exchangers and exhaust will switch over to the 2.0, but you have to use the whole 1.7 system. HE's, muffler, and hanger.
Bobco
The 2.0 donor engine is complete with FI 8gnition and engine cooling tin.I have nice Stainless heat enchangers and exhaust and muffler on my 1.7
Bobco
Side shift for now will stay until there is more cash in the sock drawer.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Bobco @ Feb 4 2018, 09:59 AM) *

Side shift for now will stay until there is more cash in the sock drawer.

I'm assuming you mean tail shift. That's stock on the '71. Then you can use your existing engine mount bar and mounts and hardware.

Then, as Olympic 914 pointed out, if you use your complete existing exhaust system, you may not need much or anything. Trying to remember - are there some minor FI and/or ignition wiring harness differences?
Bobco
Yes tail shift.....engine mount bar and mounts are the same?
BeatNavy
There are three things that are different early to late (IIRC):

The bar itself. The early is solid, the later has the hole for the shift linkage.
The inboard mounts to case. The early are solid, the later use rubber "hockey pucks" to provide vibration dampening.
The outboard mounting hardware.

I BELIEVE you can use your existing solid mounts on a 2.0 case, but someone would have to confirm. I also think (again, someone would have to confirm) you could get the rubber "hockey puck" mounts and use those with your early bar. They are better for protecting the case.
Bobco
Thanks for the info....I am trying to collect everything I will need ahead of time..Reuse of existing parts and pieces would be great unless other parts would be a improvment.
GeorgeRud
If you keep the original tailshift transmission, can you simply use the original engine mount bar with the 2.0? I’d imagine the engine case didn’t change so the original mount could be used.
mihai914
Have a look at the Porsche parts manual which you can download for free.

I don't think you can start mixing early with late style mounting hardware. It may bolt up but you will have too much flex in the setup. The engine is either solidly fixed to the bar (tail shift) or the bar is solidly fixed to the body (side shift) but not both.
Dave_Darling
The early motor mounts should bolt to the 2.0 crankcase. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure. See if you can find pics of both type of mounts in the "Parts Vault" sub-forum.

If you've got the complete FI and FI wiring harnesses and engine harness, it should all bolt right up.

--DD
Bobco
I will have all the FI harness. Brain. And cooling tins. The engine was a running idling sorted just pulled.I didn't know if tailshift and engine bar and pieces would bolt up?
jcd914
The tailshift trans bolts directly to the 2.0L engine.
The early engine brackets and mount bar bolts to the 2.0L engine case and use your current early outer mounts.
You may have to pull the fan and fan housing to bolt on the engine to crossbar brackets.
The driver side bottom engine sheetmetal piece has to match the shift linkage so that will come from the 1.7 with tailshift.

If you have SSI HE on the 1.7 transfer them to the 2.0 including the muffler and the mount bracket.

Find plugs right in.

Have fun!
Jim
dr914@autoatlanta.com
nothing, the 2.0 would bolt right in and plug in if your car is still fuel injected. An easy switch

QUOTE(Bobco @ Feb 4 2018, 06:57 AM) *

Wondering what would be different for a 1.7 to 2.0 engine conversion .I have a 71 1.7 liter and would want to install a 2.0. Liter out of a 74? Thanks.
Bobco
Thanks guys....the World is a great source of people with tons of knowledge! !!
Dave_Darling
The engine tin under the engine--the very bottom piece--on the left side of the 2.0 motor will foul on the tailshift rear shift rod. Swap that one piece of tin over and it should be good to go.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.