Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best write-up for front wheel bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
Can someone let me know whats a good article on replacing the front wheel bearings? I've got it all apart - now for the re-build. Thanks
mepstein
reverse the steps.

laugh.gif
r_towle
Grease them up, then reverse what you did
simonjb
Thats funny... Im trying to understand the bearings. My bearings came apart when i pulled the rotor/hub off. So I am looking for a how-to on the new front bearings...thanks in advance
r_towle
Honestly, they will only fit one way, big one closest to the centerline of the car, in the back of the rotor, all greased up, slide rotor with inner bearing onto the shaft, then slide the smaller on on the shaft, then washer and nut.

They are tapered bearings, the small end of the bearing faces the inner of the rotor.
r_towle
Rubber dust and grease seal——-inner bearing—-rotor—-outer bearing—-slotted washer, funky Allen locked nut—-metal dust cover
mepstein
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qC56kj5Lkq0
simonjb
Thanks guys. I had a real hard time getting the old inner bearing off the spindle. Its stayed on and I had to use a cold chisel to get it off. I hope getting the new one back on won't be too hard.

I will seat the inner bearing inside the rotor (bearings in freezer and will heat the rotor) put the sealing washer on, and then fit the rotor onto the spindle.

Is there any trick or method to get the rotor to then seat all the way in on the spindle? Do you just push the rotor towards the center of the car?
JawjaPorsche
You shouldn’t have to freeze the bearing. They are not pressed on, they usually just slide on the spindle.

Make sure you have the correct bearings. We all have gotten the wrong part some time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.