Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: My working, worn out side-shifter tranny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Since Dr. Evil won't run a clinic in the Seattle area any time soon, I'm thinking of buying an already rebuilt transmission and selling the one I'm using now. It is a side-shifter even though it is coming out of a 1970 914-4 2.4. I can drive around with it and shift if I match revs. Synchros are worn in all gears except third. It is suspected of leaking fluid, but hard to say for sure since I'm also leaking oil. It doesn't seem to have lost fluid in the short time I've had it.

If you're in the Seattle area you could try driving it yourself to get an idea.

I'm afraid I don't know what the price should be, but I'm open to suggestions. Let me know if I can provide additional information. (UPDATE: I see that one sold on Pelican for $350, so maybe that ball park?)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tbrown4x4
You can just send him your stack and he can go through it. Everything else is just nuts and bolts.

I'd pick it up myself, but I'm starting to go through my brakes.
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Feb 5 2018, 01:39 AM) *

You can just send him your stack and he can go through it. Everything else is just nuts and bolts.

I'd pick it up myself, but I'm starting to go through my brakes.

That would be my second choice (my first choice would be a local clinic). But the mechanic I'm working with in Duvall WA has a small shop and doesn't prefer to store an inop 914 during the turnaround.
Dr Evil
I replied to your PM about core rebuild price out the door.

The problem you face, that many of us have and do face, is that of time and taking up shop space. If you did pull the stack, you would be committed at that point to what ever time delay came up. It is possible that you would find the guts needing far more work, parts, cost than expected and that the whole case needs gone through. Without the ring and pinion being verified not messed up, at the least, its always a crap shoot with a core. I just sold a core that I rebuilt to Jim Hoyland for this very reason. He has a mechanic doing his work and needs the car taking up space as little as possible. With a core, you receive it and swap it in to the car in a few hours or less. Just food for though. You are investigating the right avenues, though.
An update on this: I've ordered a rebuilt transaxle from Dr. Evil. So this worn out side-shifter is definitely for sale now.
Jett
QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 6 2018, 07:47 PM) *

An update on this: I've ordered a rebuilt transaxle from Dr. Evil. So this worn out side-shifter is definitely for sale now.

Good deal!

Hey Dr. how can we persuade you to come back to Seattle? Ana and I really enjoyed the clinic and our two transmissions continue to work flawlessly... but we have a new project that needs your attention smile.gif

Cheers
sixnotfour
Are you sure it is the syncros,,,maybe clutch cable tube/adjustment ??
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 7 2018, 12:15 AM) *

Are you sure it is the syncros,,,maybe clutch cable tube/adjustment ??

I'm 90% sure it's the synchros because I do get the gear when I get the revs just right. Also third gear works normally.

I hope to sell this to someone who can try it in my car so they've got some idea what they're getting. This won't be possible a few weeks from now.
I still have this available, though it won't be out of the car for another few weeks. Most likely you'd need to pick it up from Duvall WA, but you could try it in my car before then.

Happy to accept help with my car in trade instead of money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.