Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High Amp Alternator upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I found McMark's thread on nice upgrade from a few years back.

It was not a step by step, I don't remember seeing much how-to or the final results on that thread.

But my Alt died this weekend, so I thought I would research making an upgrade. Is there a nice step by step out there somewhere?

Clark
malcolm2
I found a very old thread. I do remember Pete doing this. It was started a year before I had my car ready to drive, so I guess I did not put it in my memory bank.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1745884

Looks like it has been a year since the thread has had any buyers. And he has not been online for a month.

Anyone want to comment on how his rig works? I have PM'd and emailed him to see if he is still actively making these.

No wonder I could not find the thread yesterday. Pete used the MEMBER VENDOR page..... maybe like he was supposed to. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif But now it is lost.
Mikey914
From what I've heard they worked well. If you upgrade to heated seats or anything else that takes some juice it's a no brainer.
DRPHIL914
have you figured out what you are going to do with this? did you go with a set up like Mcmarks or the 160amp one?
malcolm2
At my urging, McMark started another Alternator thread and I have been adding to it. He just wanted to let us know what he did.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=324239&hl=

He also talked about getting the 1979 VW bus 70 amp alternator. I liked that idea, hoping it would bolt right up. So I bought one and started researching.

Samba has some very good stuff too. But VW only put this alt on as a special camper option, so there aren't many. 912 uses the same ALT. But again, very few were made.

It does bolt right up, but there are lots of little things that might be needed and I have found thanks to samba.... air intake elbow to fit the fan housing and the ALT, New wire harness with protection from the heat, a fan on the pulley, cooling tin and plastic ring changes.

There are a few vendors that have the 160amp Mechman unit, but they are discontinued too.

When my 70 amp ALT arrived the shaft had poked thru the box and damaged something inside. The replacement is on backorder 'til April.
DRPHIL914
thanks for the info- I now see all the threads relating to this- I pulled mine as I was cleaning and refreshing the motor and tin- my alternator is a 50 amp, not 55 so its an earlier one someone must have put on it, so my new tin piece I got from Bruce Stone does not fit. my charging was fine, I don't run fancy stuff but might go with the HID or LED head lights, not sure which one - I may just put this one back in for now and use the old ring with the plastic ring - just the boot I bought is too small fro the shroud opening as I stated in the other thread too. so I am not sure which way to go there. its crazy how many of these are now discontinued.

malcolm2
I think it was Ratwell that said the internal parts get discontinued first. The 70amp one was no longer available new after 1999.
914Sixer
Sellers on Ebay have stock alternators that have been upgraded. Cost is in the $250 range.
malcolm2
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 26 2018, 01:59 PM) *

Sellers on Ebay have stock alternators that have been upgraded. Cost is in the $250 range.

True. They will make you one at 400 or more amps if you want. The one I got from CARID cost $68, IIRC with a $30 core charge. and I knew it was original equipment on a TIV engine.

With the wire harness coming out of the rear and the unit being mounted where it almost touches the 350 *F cylinder head and has very specific mounting brackets I did not want to be cutting and drilling a $250 alternator and then hope I could make it fit and not melt the harness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.