Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strut insert bum stops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Always Looking
I replaced the front inserts with Bilsteins - sweet. But I was reading the other post about bottoming out shocks and came up with this question. I removed the rubber bumpers from the inserts since the bilsteins are a much larger diameter and the bumper did not fit. Should I order/fab up a bumper replacement, or can I run without one? What's the risk? huh.gif

Also, the bilstein inserts did not thread all the way into the strut housing. There was 2-3 mm of thread still showing. The boge's that I removed also were not threaded all of the way in, so I figured that's the way they work. Right? unsure.gif

The rears will be going on next weekend. If there's anything in particular I should know, please inform me.
beerchug.gif
Cap'n Krusty
You need bump stops. It's OK if the stop fits tight on the shaft, but it's gotta be in there. There's a lot of stops out there that should fit. The Cap'n
Joe Ricard
agree.gif
Bump stops prevent you from bottoming out the shock piston in the shock body. I imagine you could damage a shock in a quick hurry. Specially if your car is as low as mine.
aircooledboy
Hell, I didn't even know my shocks had a bum? Why do I want to stop my shocks bum. Can't I just wipe it?

monkeydance.gif Ya, I know: "smart ass comment that adds nothing to discussion.". But if I quit doing that, I'll never get to 2000 posts.
Always Looking
smart ass

This is the way to get to 2000 - replying to smart asses.

Guess I'll have to order some stops and redo some work. What a pain. headbang.gif

datapace
I believe I remember Brad saying something about the Bils having internal bump stops (search the archives). The bilsteins shaft is so large (at least on my 911 front end), I couldn't imagine you could even find one to fit it.

If they are required, I've always seen them included with the shocks ... YMMV.

-bryan
Always Looking
Thanks for the tip. I tried searching this forum w/o luck. Google gave me this

http://www.brazeauracing.com/bumpstops.htm

Looks like bilsteins have internal stops. Thanks for the time saver. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.