Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't (attempt to) Buy From DAVID HENRY...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cracker
Any of the locals know a man (presumably a man) named David Henry in Sahuarita, AZ? He's selling 914/911 parts on the bay...

Tony/Cracker
SixerJ
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 5 2018, 07:12 PM) *

Any of the locals know a man (presumably a man) named David Henry in Sahuarita, AZ? He's selling 914/911 parts on the bay...

Tony/Cracker

I've bought quite a lot of parts from David last year and email back and forth every so often. Honest and old school 914 / Porsche owner & currently mid way through converting his -4 to a smash.gif -6

Not an active member here but hangs out on Pelican a bit. He had the -6 relay board up on eBay at the moment, guessing that's what has prompted the question

Jon
Cracker
Thanks Jon...I don't see a -6 relay board on the bay - can you share a link or # of what you speak of?

Tony
SixerJ
Tony looks like it has been sold https://m.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-6-Relay-...p;ul_noapp=true

Cracker
Ok. Here is the reason why I was inquiring...the other shoe dropped today. WARNING: Do not buy from this douche bag! Through ebay, the bag and I negotiated a Buy it Now price (last week). I paid up and over what I was expecting to and he was happy to accept. He then came back to me and asked that I insure the shipment - I complied and sent a second payment to cover the insurance. I have been waiting for the relay board and assorted items in the listing. LINK

On Monday, I receive an email from the dick...operate with this asshole at your own risk!

I was "giving him a chance to do the right thing...he refunded my payments this afternoon. I am therefore "outing" him as a result of unacceptable behavior!!!

Tony

"Hi Tony, I've decided the buy-it-now purchase of the relay board does not work for me.

I have two option to offer you:

The first is to both agree to cancel the order and I will relist the board as an auction at $585. It will be open to everyone and see what it is actually worth.

The second is for me to just cancel the order which I can do. I've had the board for a number of years and I will set it aside for a coupe more years and then relist it again.

Either way I will refund all the monies I have received from you.

Think about it a let me know which way I should go.

Thanks,
David"
dcheek
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 8 2018, 03:28 PM) *

Ok. Here is the reason why I was inquiring...the other shoe dropped today. WARNING: Do not buy from this douche bag! Through ebay, the bag and I negoitated a Buy it Now price (last week). I paid up and over what I was expecting to and he was happy to accept. He then came back to me and asked that I insure the shipment - I complied and sent a second payment to cover the insurance. I have been waiting for the relay board and assorted items in the listing. LINK

On Monday, I receive an email from the dick...operate with this asshole at your own risk!

I was "giving him a chance to do the right thing...he refunded my payments this afternoon. I am therefore "outing" him as a result of unacceptable behavior!!!

Tony

"Hi Tony, I've decided the buy-it-now purchase of the relay board does not work for me.

I have two option to offer you:

The first is to both agree to cancel the order and I will relist the board as an auction at $585. It will be open to everyone and see what it is actually worth.

The second is for me to just cancel the order which I can do. I've had the board for a number of years and I will set it aside for a coupe more years and then relist it again.

Either way I will refund all the monies I have received from you.

Think about it a let me know which way I should go.

Thanks,
David"

I guess that's the Ebay "Buy it now.....oh wait, I don't want to sell it now" option.

Dave
mepstein
I would report him to ebay and make sure you leave neg feedback.
Mueller
Yep, that is an a-hole move on his part for sure.

Basically he read or heard from an "expert" that he was selling it too cheap.

No honor and not thing a real man would do. Bet he kicks his dog.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 8 2018, 04:39 PM) *

I would report him to ebay and make sure you leave neg feedback.

agree.gif I'm pretty confident that's a violation of ebay rules. I've only had one neg experience on ebay from a vendor that refused to even respond to my messages. The moment I dropped negative feedback on them, that changed and we reached an agreement.
NeunEinVier
Ebay can't force anyone to sell anything. The best you can do is refuse to accept his cancellation request (which means ebay will charge him the same fees as if he sold it) and leave negative feedback. Keep the feedback factual and short, like "Seller backed out of sale." If you say the wrong thing the seller can get the feedback removed in some circumstances.
Cracker
ON A POSITIVE NOTE: Friends are GREAT! GMS (Glenn) has sourced and bought a -6 Relay Board for me!!! smilie_pokal.gif

NOTE: I think he wants to be compensated, of course! biggrin.gif

Tony

David Henry...you're still an A-Hole!
IronHillRestorations
Years ago I won an auction for a inner rear wheel house from a noteworthy 914 shop in GA. It went cheap, and they wouldn't sell it to me, and subsequently threatened ME with negative feedback. No shortage of douche bags on eBay.
Steve
We have all sold parts for way less than there worth by accident. After you realize it, it is very tempting to come up with some lame excuse to not sell it at that price. If you have morals you will do the right thing,. Kind of like charity!! You will make someone very happy!!
Cracker
Steve: This was not sold "below price"....

T
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 8 2018, 04:35 PM) *

We have all sold parts for way less than there worth by accident. After you realize it, it is very tempting to come up with some lame excuse to not sell it at that price. If you have morals you will do the right thing,. Kind of like charity!! You will make someone very happy!!

Yup! Just recently sold a pretty nice outer door handle, driver quality, for $15. Had a very small bubble and a couple tiny flecks of pitting and light scratching. Found out in the process it was worth much more, but that is what I quoted, and that what it went for. Win some loose some. What goes around comes around. Have gotten some pretty good deals myself over the years and I agree you just have to do the right thing. Too bad for this guy that he backed out on the deal in such a public forum as EBay look at the price he is paying now!
white914.jpg
tygaboy
And then there's the whole Karma thing the seller (non-seller! headbang.gif ) has opened himself up to...
Steve
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 8 2018, 04:48 PM) *

Steve: This was not sold "below price"....

T

He thinks it’s worth more, so he screwed you. I would of sold it at the agreed price because that is the right thing to do.
Cracker
Ok everyone...too much negativity here. Have a great day!

Lets close this thread.

Tony
jmitro
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 8 2018, 08:38 PM) *

Ok everyone...too much negativity here. Have a great day!

Lets close this thread.

Tony

uh...a little too late for that, now that you've dragged the guys name in the mud
Cracker
I'll bite Jmitro. He choose this path...not me. I gave him four-days to "follow-through-with-his-commitment-and-told-him-the consequences-for-not-acting-like-a-decent-Porsche-community-member". He choose mud....

Geez, there is an "apologists" for nearly anything... bs.gif

Tony
bobheinonen
If Mr Henry is guilty of anything, it would appear to be indecision. About six years ago I bought a bunch of NOS -6 parts from him which he put up for sale because he had cancelled his conversion. All went smoothly. Bob Heinonen
Cracker
Your 8th post in 10-years comes within this thread...someone has been calling in back-up!!! lol-2.gif
Rob-O
I get that you’re angry, but bashing Bob isn’t going to get him to start contributing more... confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(bobheinonen @ Feb 8 2018, 10:12 PM) *

If Mr Henry is guilty of anything, it would appear to be indecision. About six years ago I bought a bunch of NOS -6 parts from him which he put up for sale because he had cancelled his conversion. All went smoothly. Bob Heinonen

If your definition of not honoring a commitment is calling it indecision, well then yea.
I could almost see it if he realized this was a part he needed for his car or had already promised it out to someone else. Mistakes happen. But for $75 or whatever, stromberg.gif

Yes, Glenn is one of the many good people on this site.
Even though he keeps dodging me at Hershey biggrin.gif
campbellcj
I'm also pretty sure ebay would take some action on this, possibly including a full ban. Buy it Now is a contract where he agreed to sell that item at that price, as well as to pay the resulting ebay fees....

Sorry to hear this stuff happens in the p-car community sometimes. I've been very lucky having bought untold thousands of dollars in Porsche parts over 25+ years, and only encountering issues a small handful of times.
Chris914n6
FYI - Insurance is for the seller, not the buyer. Federal Mail Order laws require the seller to provide the goods as advertised. If it is damaged during shipping it will be blamed as poor packaging, unless it is blatant in which the shipper will cover up to stated value.
The seller must refund the full amount, after which he can try to collect from the shipper, or if it's deemed poor packing the seller is left with damaged goods and no money.
He should know better by now if he's been shipping stuff....
Cracker
I did what all but a few "apologists" suggested...

Click to view attachment

Chris...I guess he didn't know that - I paid the $12 as well. Lesson learned - thanks.

Click to view attachment

Blue6
Thank you Tony for outing him. It just so happened I was looking at the fog light switch he has listed. I'll steer clear as I believe he is guilty of more than indescision.
sixaddict
Suspect someone contacted seller and said I'll give you $$$$ and he bit...
Also past history is only an indicator. Of future performance ...peopl have gone "south" on us .
Chris914n6
Seems to be going around as I just got this. Cops would call this ransom bs.gif

Click to view attachment
jmitro
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 8 2018, 09:01 PM) *

Geez, there is an "apologists" for nearly anything... bs.gif

Tony

I'm not apologizing for anyone. What's bullshit is you posting your supposed injustice online and calling him all sorts of names. that's douchebag'ish.

oh wait, I forgot.....you're one of the good guys on this site. WTF.gif

it's too bad BS like this spoils a generally good forum like 914 world.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 9 2018, 02:36 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Calculating shipping is always tricky, because ebay now makes you state it before you can list an auction, but there are variables where you can end up eating shipping.
Case in point, we sold some carbs this week, the guy was in the US, technically, so he qualified for the $25 shipping. Well, guess what, he was in Puerto Rico, so shipping was $50. We ate the $25. Normally when this happens we ship the item and tell the customer shipping was more and could they please pay the difference, no one ever has but it's worth a try, right? This guy did something strange, he acknowledged that PR is pricey to ship to, and send us half of the additional $25 back, so we got $12.50 back. It was better then nothing.
Bottom line, you eat shipping when you have to, and insurance is for you, not the buyer. Until it hits his hands it's your part, and if he doesn't get it, he gets a refund.
sixaddict
That's why you say CONUS..........or lower 48. It covers your bootyshake.gif

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 10 2018, 06:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 9 2018, 02:36 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Calculating shipping is always tricky, because ebay now makes you state it before you can list an auction, but there are variables where you can end up eating shipping.
Case in point, we sold some carbs this week, the guy was in the US, technically, so he qualified for the $25 shipping. Well, guess what, he was in Puerto Rico, so shipping was $50. We ate the $25. Normally when this happens we ship the item and tell the customer shipping was more and could they please pay the difference, no one ever has but it's worth a try, right? This guy did something strange, he acknowledged that PR is pricey to ship to, and send us half of the additional $25 back, so we got $12.50 back. It was better then nothing.
Bottom line, you eat shipping when you have to, and insurance is for you, not the buyer. Until it hits his hands it's your part, and if he doesn't get it, he gets a refund.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Feb 10 2018, 07:00 AM) *

That's why you say CONUS..........or lower 48. It covers your bootyshake.gif

You can write that in but they can still check out, and then you're stuck either eating it or refunding their money, or doing like the other guy and asking for more money for shipping. EBAY has really moved away from being the seller's friend.
rhodyguy
At least you're not out the cash. For giggles use the search and "Onion" in titles. You need to use posts 365 days ago and older. That guy was on FIRE! In the midst of full blown undiagnosed Grave's disease.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 10 2018, 06:31 AM) *

There is still a calculated shipping cost. I've always done it that way because the East coast costs double. I just don't earn the discount, which I don't sell enough to get anyways, and I doubt it's good enough to eat the $25.

I thought USPS was flat rate... I've shipped to a base in the UK at local rates.

Ebay has gotten Nobody friendly.
Cracker
Since this now a "shipping tutorial" (LOL!)...I paid the shipping as listed below as well as the extra $12 for insurance, per his request. Seems a bit steep to me but I am not concerned over a few bucks...

T

Click to view attachment
914werke
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 10 2018, 07:12 AM) *

EBAY has really moved away from being the seller's friend.

agree.gif
Chris914n6
He probably discovered that the ebay & pp fees put his take under his minimum of $500, tried to make up for it, then said F it av-943.gif

It took me over a year to sell 2 19" wheels because my take was only half the transaction price, which was a fair price to neither party.

Who wants to help me launch a replacement for ebay motors? ar15.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 10 2018, 12:43 PM) *

agree.gif

A long time ago.
bbrock
I'll throw out a GOOD ebay story. A few months ago, I found a Hazet wrench to rebuild my toolkit at a reasonable price and ordered it. I soon got a message from the seller saying he couldn't find the wrench and was VERY apologetic. No big deal to me and I told him so, but that if he found it, I would be interested. We canceled the order and moved on. I waited about a week and then found another of the same wrench for a good price and bought it. A couple weeks later, the first seller messaged me to say he found the wrench and insisted on sending it to me for free. I tried to tell him it wasn't necessary, but he felt so bad, he insisted. Wouldn't even let me pay the postage. Wrench arrived and was in better condition than the one I bought. Bad part is, because no sale actually took place, there is no way to leave him positive feedback.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 10 2018, 09:43 AM) *

agree.gif

There was once a time when ebay really went to bat for sellers, paypal too. I remember in the old old days we were in the top 1% of Paypal, so when we had a problem we had out very own problem solver. Those days are long long gone.
Power Seller for over a decade, no one cares.
Sold millions on ebay, no one cares.

Oh well, it's still the best game in town, you just have to know if the shiznit flies it's going to hit you.
Porschef
agree.gif w Mark. EBay has long moved past it's original intention, offering private parties a way to get their best possible price via auction. When I joined in 1999, it was virtually picturelesss, relying mostly on description.

Seemed to peak in the mid 2k's to very early 2teens. Now, I rarely go there.

Other venues will serve better, eventually, hopefully. It's just that they have a solid international presence.

And yeah, it's all about the buyer. Like Mark said...
Cracker
Pretty damn ironic in this case...not in this case! slap.gif

T
hot_shoe914
I had a fellow on here sell me three 3 port fuel pumps for $20. When I received the package, I noticed he had paid $20.08 for shipping. I felt bad about this and promptly sent him another $20. He contacted me and told him I had mistakenly paid him twice and was concerned something might be wrong with my PayPal. I told him I saw what he had paid in postage and assured him the additional money was no mistake.

Shoe
beerchug.gif

Looks like you mistakenly sent me $20 via paypal today? I received the $20 payment for the fuel pumps on December 13, 2017. Please confirm everything is safe with your paypal account and I will send it back.

Thanks,
Ross
It was no mistake, I sent it intentionally. I saw that you paid more than $20 to ship the pumps and could not let you lose money. Keep the $20 and thanks for the pumps. Sorry it took me so long to send it.

Shoe
beerchug.gif

That is very kind. Thank You.
mepstein
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 11 2018, 03:46 PM) *

I had a fellow on here sell me three 3 port fuel pumps for $20. When I received the package, I noticed he had paid $20.08 for shipping. I felt bad about this and promptly sent him another $20. He contacted me and told him I had mistakenly paid him twice and was concerned something might be wrong with my PayPal. I told him I saw what he had paid in postage and assured him the additional money was no mistake.

Shoe
beerchug.gif

Looks like you mistakenly sent me $20 via paypal today? I received the $20 payment for the fuel pumps on December 13, 2017. Please confirm everything is safe with your paypal account and I will send it back.

Thanks,
Ross
It was no mistake, I sent it intentionally. I saw that you paid more than $20 to ship the pumps and could not let you lose money. Keep the $20 and thanks for the pumps. Sorry it took me so long to send it.

Shoe
beerchug.gif

That is very kind. Thank You.

I just sold some struts and underpriced shipping. Doesn't matter to me. This people on this site keeps giving me back WAY more than than I deserve.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.