Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshields & Dashboards
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael7810
Need to replace the windshield before Rt 66 and have a couple questions:

1- The old windshield came out pretty easy with an old guitar string. What's the best way to clean the old butyl from the channel? The old stuff in there is pretty sticky.

2- I removed the winshield trim in pretty good shape however I can't say it's 100% straight. I'll carefully reshape it the best I can and provided there are no big bends or kinks will it flatten out when I reinstall it?

3- Any other lessons learned on windshield installation appreciated

4- Is dash replacement much easier when the windshield is out? I have a new 914Rubber dash that someday will find it's way on my car but my list of stuff to do before Rt66 is long and I really don't want to tackle the dash at this time. I am going to replace the rubber trim on the inside of the windshield while the glass is out (duh!).

Thanks
aharder
I just finished replacing my dash and front dash pad and dash pad seal with the window out. It was not that difficult to do. There's a couple of good threads on replacing them. My trim was not straight but it went back in ok, had to be careful on some spots but overall I happy with it.

My butyl was stiff so it came up easily with a putty knife. I ended up painting the framing area cause I had a lot of exposed metal after I scraped it all off.
iankarr
Mineral spirits works well on the residual butyl. And lots (lots) of rags. Much easier to deal with the dash with the glass out. Pretty much the only way to properly install the dash-to-windshield rubber. If you remove the metal dash frame, installing the new top isn't a big deal at all.

Here's a link which also shows some pics of the install on my yellow car...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2415895
michael7810
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Feb 5 2018, 07:03 PM) *

Mineral spirits works well on the residual butyl. And lots (lots) of rags. Much easier to deal with the dash with the glass out. Pretty much the only way to properly install the dash-to-windshield rubber. If you remove the metal dash frame, installing the new top isn't a big deal at all.

Here's a link which also shows some pics of the install on my yellow car...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2415895

Thanks. I will definitely install a new windshield-to-window rubber with the glass out and probably the vinyl between dash and glass although the one that's in there is in great shape but I bought a new one just in case.

Looking like I'll hold off replacing the dash until later this year. I need to get the car ready AND remodel the master bath before Rt66. Debbie wanted the bath remodeled last year and I didn't get to it 'cause the damn 944 needed so much work. headbang.gif
914_teener
My wife's response when I told her I was putting a bigger motor in my car:

It has a running motor in it NOW doesn.t it?
76-914
Do the dash now. It isn't as difficult as others suggest. Especially if the windshield is out. You can do the windshield, trim and dash in a one day session.
DRPHIL914
i agree, do the dash now - if you have the windshield out, and you have the vinyl for and the dash to window seal, pull the old dash( it took me an hour) its not as bad as you think its going to be - take the ashtray out the lower dash pad and vents, follow the Video that Brad did on removal and installation at Okteenerfest a couple years ago. - I posted a thread on my dash removal and installation a few years back as well.

DRPHIL914
dash top removal, shows nut locations , etc

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...757&hl=dash

914rubber video

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=269610&hl=
iankarr
agree.gif

Removing the metal dash frame isn't a big deal. And much easier than leaving it in the car and struggling with those damn nuts behind the instrument cluster. It's pretty simple. Just have a friend help you as you remove the final screws so the dash doesn't drop suddenly and possibly pull / damage any wires. The hardest part (which is not really so hard) is getting a grip on the 4 nuts under the windshield (accessed through the frunk). You just have to feel around for them, then use a small 1/4 socket.

PM me if you need more info / encouragement....
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Feb 6 2018, 08:03 PM) *

agree.gif

Removing the metal dash frame isn't a big deal. And much easier than leaving it in the car and struggling with those damn nuts behind the instrument cluster. It's pretty simple. Just have a friend help you as you remove the final screws so the dash doesn't drop suddenly and possibly pull / damage any wires. The hardest part (which is not really so hard) is getting a grip on the 4 nuts under the windshield (accessed through the frunk). You just have to feel around for them, then use a small 1/4 socket.

PM me if you need more info / encouragement....

If you were going to replace the dash frame and dash top, would you leave the windshield in?

I noticed the videos used the side vents for access. My 1970 doesn't have those.
michael7810
OK, I watched a couple videos and now leaning towards replacing the dash top while the glass is out. My problem will be staying disciplined and not doing every while-you're-in-there clean up, paint, etc that I see except new dash front material which I already have. Thanks for the pics, videos and encouragement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.