Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removal of A/C
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chip
Looks like the first owner of my '73 1.7 installed an A/C. The unit fits in the front trunk under the spare tire. Hoses run to the cooler, along the right rocker panel, up into the engine compartment to a large (condenser), I don't know. It is connected by the v-belt. I want to remove the A/C. Must I take out this large condeser? It fits under the battery tray and looks like it's important. I am not a mechanic. Thanks to you.
TheCabinetmaker
It was installed at the dealership as an option. Removal of compressor requires removal of engine.
TheCabinetmaker
Btw, welcome Chip. We love car pics.
theer
I did the same on my '72... but it was a long time ago...

If it's belt driven in the engine compartment, it is the compressor. The condenser is in the front truck. The evaporator is in the air handler unit attached to the bottom of the dash inside the car.

Compressor, condenser, air handler, refrigerant lines can all be removed. If you are careful, someone here might even buy the complete setup from you (not me, sorry).

You'll be left with big square holes in the front trunk, which will need to be welded closed, as well as a few small (~1") holes where the a/c lines went through the firewall, etc., to connect all the components of the system.

Since these were dealer installed, it shouldn't be that difficult to un-install.

Good luck.

Edit: didn't realize motor has to come out to remove compressor. You can take the belt off to reduce drag until you are ready to remove.
malcolm2
Not being a mechanic could be a problem. But you should be able to find the connecting bolts and remove the compressor in the engine bay. I would think the engine could stay in. Not positive tho.

Problem is when the dealer put it in, they probably did a HACK job on your cooling tins. So the side tin and IIRC 1/2 the tin under the fan belt would also be hacked up.

Then the "radiator thing" (condensor) in the front trunk can be removed. You will then have a huge hole in the trunk. I got lucky and found a guy adding a V8 and had just cut his trunk out for his radiator. So I got his and welded it in. You can just use sheet metal.

It is not easy and to do it right, you need to weld up the holes plus the holes from the hoses.

IIRC under the Longitudinal cover the threshold brace may have been removed to get the hoses thru.

Good Luck. Folks on here will be able to help.
Costa05
Removed my AC system months ago. Avail in Phx Az if someone is interested. I pulled the engine because I had to anyway. Compressor weighs a lot so it will lighten you up quite a bit with it all removed.
malcolm2
hacked up front trunk. easy to remove the unit, but then you have a hole.
Click to view attachment

Repaired with welded in sheet metal
Click to view attachment

This could be a problem. Your oil cooler and compressor look like they share a bolt. Just the arrow on the right. I got this picture from another site.
Click to view attachment

The pulley for AC is behind the cooling fan, IIRC. You can just cut the belt off.

Click to view attachment
Ansbacher
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 5 2018, 05:25 PM) *

It was installed at the dealership as an option. Removal of compressor requires removal of engine.

I removed the entire A/C system out of my '74 years ago. A monkey could have done it. Removal of the engine??? Not at all. Car shed about 67 lbs after total removal.

Ansbacher
Larmo63
agree.gif

Remove all that junk, and gain horsepower (real and/or imagined)
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 5 2018, 06:36 PM) *

agree.gif

I got all that junk and don't need anymore horsepower. rolleyes.gif
Chris914n6
Post some pics, some of that doesn't sound right. Particularly the condenser under the engine grill, as the normal condenser is under the spare tire and the evaporator/blower unit is under the dash.

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 5 2018, 06:36 PM) *

One mans junk is another mans happy wife poke.gif
Larmo63
I actually AVOID having my high maintenance gf along. poke.gif
JamesM
If it were me I would just pull the engine as it would save time and effort in the long run. You are probably going to want to replace the passenger side engine tin with one that has not been cut up. Between all that is needed to do that and get to the pulley you might as well just have the whole thing on the ground in front of you.

I would guess that the A/C system has no charge at this point so you may be fine, but messing around with A/C systems could potentially ruin your life if you don't know what you are doing so be careful and be sure you know what you are doing before you do it.

If you wind up looking to to get rid of the A/C bits once you pull them let me know, i may be interested.
maf914
The primary areas cut up during installation of the dealer installed AC systems are the front trunk floor and the right side engine compartment. The front trunk floor is shown in the photos above. The engine compartment required cutting of front and side engine tin and also a portion of the engine compartment shelf in the area under the battery support, all to allow the big York compressor to be attached. The compressor mounting bracket was bolted to the cooling shroud (which is bolted to the front of the engine case). One of the bolt holes used was that previously used for the oil cooler support bracket (shown in the photo above) which left the end of the cooler unsupported, attached only at the base (not good).

These are the main areas that need to be replaced or patched when the system is removed. Then for a complete renovation, there are plenty of holes that were cut to allow AC hoses to be run from the compressor (engine compartment) to the condenser (front trunk) and evaporator (under dash unit) which should be patched.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
don't do it. The 914 is much more valuable and creature comfortable with the ac installed, and if you DO remove it, you leave behind a bunch of holes that would need to be expensively patched.

QUOTE(Chip @ Feb 5 2018, 02:59 PM) *

Looks like the first owner of my '73 1.7 installed an A/C. The unit fits in the front trunk under the spare tire. Hoses run to the cooler, along the right rocker panel, up into the engine compartment to a large (condenser), I don't know. It is connected by the v-belt. I want to remove the A/C. Must I take out this large condeser? It fits under the battery tray and looks like it's important. I am not a mechanic. Thanks to you.
DRPHIL914
you could modify by using a new modern compressor that will not rob you of so much horsepower, and keep the system in place, - I live in SC and would love to have AC to drive the car in the summer months! 98 degress and 90% humidity is not fun in any car much less a 914 - if someone ever completes a modification using the front air box area as a way to use existing vents etc I will be first in line, - the new compressors are light weight, use way less hp and do a better job than the original ones. If I bought a car with AC already in I would not be tearing it out I would be updating and improving it.

Good luck, Phil
MarkV
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 6 2018, 09:06 AM) *

you could modify by using a new modern compressor that will not rob you of so much horsepower, and keep the system in place, - I live in SC and would love to have AC to drive the car in the summer months! 98 degress and 90% humidity is not fun in any car much less a 914 - if someone ever completes a modification using the front air box area as a way to use existing vents etc I will be first in line, - the new compressors are light weight, use way less hp and do a better job than the original ones. If I bought a car with AC already in I would not be tearing it out I would be updating and improving it.

Good luck, Phil

There is an engine tin that is modified where the belt passes through it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(MarkV @ Feb 6 2018, 02:02 PM) *

Good luck, Phil

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

sweet looking install would love to keep my ac and upgrade to the new r134
mepstein
QUOTE(MarkV @ Feb 6 2018, 04:02 PM) *

Good luck, Phil

Your front trnk is how the a/c should have been done but never was.
MarkV
I still haven't re-plumbed it and figured out a better evaporator solution.

I used the install manual template to cut the engine shelf. That was a mistake the Sanden takes up way less space. I ended up welding tabs to part of the engine shelf and reinstalling it with screws.

Click to view attachment
Chip
Thank you, thank you so much for the great help with my '73 A/C! My wife argued about leaving it in, but with the top off, it should be no big deal; we do have warm summers here, but I'm not going to miss the A/C.
I am new, and not sure about navigating this site yet, but I hope you all get this message, and thanks again to all your replies. I was really stuck for a day or two.

I have all the hoses removed from the A/C. The condenser (which removes heat from the interior) left two rectangle holes in the front. I will have those patched. The aluminum line from the condenser up front was rotted away at the jack access hole, as was the area around it, both sides. The other lines were also in bad shape. The under dash controls and vents are in good condition. It was hard for me to tell it was not a factory job. But, I think it was an aftermarket job, as the vents were plastic and not German quality. The compressor is a "York" model, and PLEASE, don't tell me I have to pull the engine to remove it!!!!! Yes, there were some holes left but I intend to plug those.
I would like to share the A/C with whoever is interested in it for a good price. As tight as these cars are, the unit fit very well. I am proceding with the compressor removal. Please don't dessert me, and thanks again!
maf914
Chip, Please post some photos of the AC components. The original dealer installed systems were either DPD or VPC, similar systems but with different front condensers in the trunk and different under dash evaporator/air handlers in the cockpit.
malcolm2
is your car Fuel Injected or Carbs? If Carbs it will be easier to remove the cooling tin on the AC side. If it is all hacked up, you will have to replace it with a good piece. I say "IF it is hacked up" But I am almost positive it will be. You might start there. Once you know for sure, you might put out a WTB in the classifieds and get you a piece of tin started towards you.

Now that I think about it, it was not just the tins that were hacked up. the panel under the battery tray was too. That horizontal piece holds a seal the keeps dirt from coming in from under the car. That will be a tuff one for you to replace. AA and Restoration Design has the replacement panels and a seal holding piece that goes there.

Click to view attachment

Take some pictures of the engine on that side.
pcar916
If you want to make it yourself, here are a few images of my AC hole and the piece I cobbled together to cover it. It took a couple of hours to make and then the time to paint it. Just some sheet metal, a piece of drill-stock, shears and a rivet gun. It's been in place since 1996... or thereabouts.

Good luck

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentattachmentid=6381
50]
rhodyguy
The sweep and curve of a driver's side shelve makes for a perfect replacement to fix the AC hack. Off of a parts car. No need to replace the whole piece. You make a template of the DS, flip it around and adjust to fit. I had to do this for my car when fixing the AC mess.
dcheek
I'll never forget when I ordered my car, the dealer asked if I wanted A/C. Thank God I asked to see a 914 with air. I was shocked to see the butcher job in the front trunk! I asked if the factory did that. They said it is a dealer installed item.

I embrace the sweat that flows on hot summer days rather than put up with stromberg.gif installation available through the dealer.

Dave
kgruen2
Had my A/C removed and all damage from installation repaired, except for the front where I had an external oil cooler installed with a custom box to seal off the frunk. My current A/C is roof off, windows down, and 80MPH. java script:emoticon(':)','smid_4')
TheCabinetmaker
I've had 2 cars with ac, including one I purchased new in 73. It never worked right, cost hp, and tons of mpg. Ripped them both out and repaired dealer damage. I live in one of the hottest, most humid areas of the U.S. I drive my car year round.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.