Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Morph914
I am considering the purchase of a 911 s engine on this site to swap for my 1.7. However, I would like to get an idea of the work involved to make this happen. Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers,

John
thelogo
Just trying to be helpful

DONT Mean to be rude

But if your asking this question then you have no idea
And no business attempting this swap

Your in way over you head

Budgets for these swaps can run into the 15 to 20 k
Range and thats not including the motor .

Warning you are entering a slipppppery slope

So just makes more sense to get a car already
Converted to a /6

I did a big /4:and its a ton of fun for a lot less money
I spent 6800$ total including the motor .

Correct me if im wrong guys but with the/6

The money you'll be spending on wine and cheese alone
Is going to get exorbitant
Larmo63
Motor mount
Oil tank
Oil lines
Gas lines
Different clutch, etc
Headers/Heater boxes
Engine tin
911 Muffler

Probably a front oil cooler w/oil lines
thermostat, etc.

More..........

Not for the faint of heart, but a fulfilling project once you have it sussed out! driving-girl.gif
The sounds that a 911 engine makes and the power you will stab at will make you feel like your dick grew two sizes.
JOEPROPER
Hey John,. I didn't know much about what's involved until I did a bunch of research. I'm not in over my head, so I wouldn't listen to the above comment if I were you. Do a lot of reading here and decide for yourself if it's something you want to get involved in. Good luck with your research.
mepstein
4 to 6 swap has been done hundreds of times, is well documented and there are more conversion parts than ever to chose from. No, it's not cheap but makes an already fun car a total blast. It really can be done by anyone in your home garage. There are always 914 guys willing to help for a beer and a burger. It will probably take longer and cost more than you want but you will end up with a really fun car.
Mueller
https://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914-6_cons..._info_guide.htm

Luckily a few members here make a lot of reproduction items to help bring the cost down. Member MB911 is making some really nice stuff that could help.
mb911

There are tons of parts and lots of experience.. I am working on a complete kit to do this but not there yet. 914-6werkshop.com is my website under construction thanks to a member here who got tired of looking for all my parts (Mark)

Feel free to call and talk through it.
TheCabinetmaker
Ignore that bearer of bad tidings. If you have the cash and/or skills, then go for it. The rewards will far out way the trials.
wndsrfr
All of the above comments are true, every one of them.
I have both a big/4 and a 2.7/6. Both are really a lot of fun.
I'd say first to jump on that 911s engine asap--it's a deal, no affiliation. Just set it on the shelf while you gather knowledge, parts, funds etc. It will be an "investment" and you'll be able to recover the costs if you decide not to go /6.
Then build a 2270 or 2316 /4 to drop in place of the 1.7. Depending on your goals & what you enjoy doing....e.g. wrenching vs. driving or both, I'd advocate always having one to drive and one to build.
BTW, after "restoring" a stock 1.7 and loving driving it, I bought the 2316 already done for probably about 50 cents on the dollar. Likewise for the 2.7/6. I've enjoyed doing DE events in both cars, lots of them. After blowing the /4 engine (my fault) I sourced a case, all new internals w/forged pistons & new crank and put it together myself for less than $4k. Getting the /6 engine "refreshed" with a proper race build was north of $25k at a top line race shop. So I'd advise sorting out your financial cash flow and get to wrenching & driving!
IronHillRestorations
+1 on establishing a realistic budget.

For the past 25 yrs my mantra has been "I don't know anyone who has successfully done a 6 conversion that's said: I should've left it a 4"
IronHillRestorations
Funny how the guide on PP never says much about the engine wiring.

It's much easier to replace the wiring harness before the fan shroud goes on, and the engine goes in the car. You don't have to integrate the alternator wires into the engine harness, but it's cleaner installed that way. It's not required to have your battery cable and alternator B+ wire integrated, but it too is a much cleaner install.

Several guys have contacted me and said "I've got my 6 conversion almost done, engine all installed, now I just need a wiring harness. (record scratch)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I whole heartedly agree Perry. The two cars are of totally different demeanor, and while not putting down the six, the four is a car of complete joy, the six one of discontented unhappiness.
The key, is two have two 914s; a four and a six, and depending on ones mood drive that car that day!!
(I think anyone who has both cars will know the feeling I am trying to convey

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Feb 6 2018, 08:24 AM) *

+1 on establishing a realistic budget.

For the past 25 yrs my mantra has been "I don't know anyone who has successfully done a 6 conversion that's said: I should've left it a 4"

mepstein
A four is just a car patiently waiting for a six.
Coondog
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Feb 6 2018, 07:39 AM' post='2575671']
I whole heartedly agree Perry. The two cars are of totally different demeanor, and while not putting down the six, the four is a car of complete joy, the six one of discontented unhappiness

WTF.gif “discontented unhappiness” guess you better fire your mechanic.....oh wait I forgot you are the mechanic.
You are right they are two completely different cars.
Now my six conversion doesn’t get left behind when following other six’s and I don’t have to think about changing lanes or passing cars.... I just do it... You know it is a complete joy !!!
GeorgeRud
Go for it, but be realistic on your budget. Ben (mb911) has lot’s of great parts for the conversion, and AA has a nice booklet outlining the conversion. It also has wiring and oil tank fitting information. PMB can help with suspension, axle, and brake conversions, but that can be done later.

I have an original factory -6, and a ‘73 914 that I converted with a 2.7 911S Engine. They’re very different cars, but both are tremendous fun. The satisfaction of completing the conversion is priceless as well!
iwanta914-6
I know that the engine in consideration is from a 914world seller, but usually there's some concern when talking about the 2.7L engine isn't there? Buyer has hopefully done a lot of homework before jumping into this giant potential money pit.
gandalf_025
This isn’t an engine swap you are considering...
It is a total reconfiguration of the car and many of the systems
contained within.. Big money and much labor...
You really want to set up a timeline and budget...
Be prepared for both to go into overdrive quickly.

Dr Evil
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 5 2018, 09:20 PM) *

Motor mount
Oil tank
Oil lines
Gas lines
Different clutch, etc
Headers/Heater boxes
Engine tin
911 Muffler

Probably a front oil cooler w/oil lines
thermostat, etc.

More..........

Not for the faint of heart, but a fulfilling project once you have it sussed out! driving-girl.gif
The sounds that a 911 engine makes and the power you will stab at will make you feel like your dick grew two sizes.

I will add, breaks, 5 lug, wheels....then you may want better tires, oh flares?

A 2.7 can get away without an upfront cooler, depending on configuration. I have a 74 2.7 with CIS and SC cams that was a blast. I wrecked it and am slowly getting the replacement body done and together. Read up on the 2.7, various years had certain problems. I got mine for free from a friend so I tore it down to the crank and rebuilt it with enhancements that I deemed necessary. Consequently, there is a lot of info out there that is just opinion and expensive suggestions that are not necessarily gospel. Case in point, on Pelican is a very long thread that I was part of where we proved that not only can alusil cylinders be reconditioned, but that there is a process that is know for doing such and is cheap. Everyone would steer you towards a $3000 new set of nickasil...I reconditioned my alusil for $194. Lots of reading, verify everything, ask for proof. Unless you are rich, plan for a long process that will cost you plenty.
IronHillRestorations
IIRC if you put an early flywheel on a 2.4 or 2.7 the timing marks on the flywheel will be wrong. Ran into this many years ago
Steve
I ran a 2.7 in so cal. Was pretty easy to put new marks on the early flywheel. In the so cal heat I had to run a front oil cooler. Some people are into slow cars like a 356 or VW. If that’s you then stay with the 4 banger, otherwise a six is the only way to go if your a purist. Hopped up 4 banger will not yield the same power or resale value.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 5 2018, 07:17 PM) *

DONT Mean to be rude

Converted to a /6

cockblocker
thelogo
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Feb 6 2018, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Feb 5 2018, 07:17 PM) *

DONT Mean to be rude

Converted to a /6

cockblocker

Lie after lie has been told about me
But i beat the bastards and left em in a ditch.

"Ty cobb "
Justinp71
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 6 2018, 09:58 AM) *

I know that the engine in consideration is from a 914world seller, but usually there's some concern when talking about the 2.7L engine isn't there? Buyer has hopefully done a lot of homework before jumping into this giant potential money pit.

The 2.7L has the mag case. It was the largest of the mag case motors and in cali they came with a thermal reactor and 5 blade fan. This combo made for pulled head studs.

I did have a tired 2.7L and because the car is not driven a lot it lasted me about 7-8 years as a fun, but very leaky motor. When I wanted a new motor in 2008 I found it cheaper to start with a good 3.0L than rebuild the 2.7L. Not sure if that is still the case or not. If the 2.7L has timecerts installed in the threads it was probably rebuilt at some point.

But a good running flat six in these cars is pure joy... wub.gif

I would also consider a honda or subaru six (or four) these days as you can have the same hp, for far less money. But the motor is the main cost, so if the 911 2.7L is at a good price it would be something to consider. Plus it will have more value with a Porsche motor.
Morph914
This is what I love about 914 World! Thank you all for taking the time to chime in. I will take all of your info and advice, do some research, and make a decision. I just figured while I have my car almost completely disassembled, that it would be a good time to embark on such an adventure.

Cheers,
John
thelogo
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Feb 6 2018, 05:25 PM) *

This is what I love about 914 World! Thank you all for taking the time to chime in. I will take all of your info and advice, do some research, and make a decision. I just figured while I have my car almost completely disassembled, that it would be a good time to embark on such an adventure.

Cheers,
John

You didnt mention your in the middle or beginning
Of a restoration
That means your in a position to have more options
And your already " in there" so to speak

And id think once you drop out the 1.7
Your not exactly excited about putting it back in .

So yeah more power would be worthwhile

Some guys "need a six"
but a big 4 webber, headers , premium gas
Will make it happen too
Justinp71
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 5 2018, 07:32 PM) *

https://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914-6_cons..._info_guide.htm

Luckily a few members here make a lot of reproduction items to help bring the cost down. Member MB911 is making some really nice stuff that could help.

This is a good article. Pelicanparts is a really good resource for anything 911, I use it all the time. There a lot of guys that post on there that really know what they are doing too. It helped me build my 3.2l.
JmuRiz
With a used 911 engine, the key is to get an accurate leak-down test before you buy. That will tell you a lot. I got a previously rebuilt 2.7 from a friend, but he sold it at core price because he hadn't torn it down/checked or rebuilt it himself. Did the leak-down test myself and found the #s were bad.

Very glad I got it for $2k (complete engine from engine mounts, tins, flywheel, CIS system etc) because as my engine building friend started tearing it down, he could tell that even though it was rebuilt with case-savers it wasn't rebuilt totally correct and caused issues like a wobbly main bearing and a tight valve guide that caused a lot of damage. It's getting done right this time ($$$, even though we're re-coating the cyls as they were in good shape). It 'should' make 220hp and last a long time as long as I keep up on maintenance. Fingers crossed it does, because I won't want to take this wallet hit again!!!

Like everyone else said, it's a slippery slope and I hope it's worth it biggrin.gif
You'll need to make sure your brakes and suspension are in good order, along with the other bits, like a tach conversion, oil lines etc.
I'm excited to see/hear about mb911's plans for more products, as his current offerings are a great help to the conversion and stock /6 914 community. People like him, naro914, Rich Johnson, 914 rubber and many others are really keeping these cars alive!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.