Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WAY OT: Falcon Heavy. Beautiful launch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
Perfect separations And both side boosters just set down on the pads. Vertically. At the same time. Coolest thing I've seen in a long time. I put the sound on the stereo and cranked it up.
andrewb
Awesome engineering.
Awesome sight(s).
Awesome idea.
And topped off with an awesome sense of humour.
Nice one - well done.
(Gotta say - like American cars - I bet that rocket doesn't go round bends though biggrin.gif )
Andyrew
That was the coolest spectacle I've seen live. I'll have to rewatch it tonight on the TV with sound as I watched it during lunch.

Watching both boosters land within a short distance of each other at the same time was just way to cool. Chills!
Andyrew
Whats funny is I downloaded this android game the other day called SpaceFlight Simulator and have been playing with rockets and a launch just like this.
rhodyguy
Ot Ot. I always preferred the ginger.

There was a slight delay for the sound wave to get to the telecast location. I had it up kinda loud. Then all 3 cats shot out of the room like they were on fire.
jfort
my nephew is a launch engineer for SpaceEx. I am sure he is ecstatic right now!
rhodyguy
They had a split screen showing mission control in California in one of the replays. To say folks were jubilant is putting it mildly.
andrewb
There's live footage from the Tesla on youtube now - mindblowing images.
Any aliens who come across that in the future will be very very confused.
jeffdon
QUOTE(andrewb @ Feb 6 2018, 02:53 PM) *

There's live footage from the Tesla on youtube now

The parts with the earth in the background are stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKAHN6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKAHN6M
rhodyguy
Gotta love the display on the dash.
jeffdon
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 6 2018, 03:07 PM) *

Gotta love the display on the dash.

No doubt, there is a towel packed in that car somewhere.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 6 2018, 01:50 PM) *

They had a split screen showing mission control in California in one of the replays. To say folks were jubilant is putting it mildly.

Part of the thrill was listening to the crowd cheering. I don't think there was a person under the age of 40 in that crowd.
ThePaintedMan
The whole SpaceX experiment and Mr. Musk's vision gives me hope that my generation may get to experience something similar to what many of you did with the moon landing. I have been intrigued by space exploration since I was a little kid. So happy to see we as a society haven't completely lost our passion for pushing the boundaries of the unknown.
Olympic 914
this is Fantastic.. especially the live feed of the Tesla Roadster floating in space.
crash914
why do I think of the Stig and Rocket man? wonder if there is any air in those tires? way cool.
914_teener
Watched it at work with my ear buds on.

I laughed out loud when the display on the car came on.

Good work guys and gals.
914_teener
Center core didn.t make it evidently.
EdwardBlume
They should have used a 914....

Way cool! aktion035.gif
Chris914n6
Click to view attachment
bbrock
There's one thing that would have made this better:

IPB Image
jd74914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 6 2018, 06:46 PM) *

Part of the thrill was listening to the crowd cheering. I don't think there was a person under the age of 40 in that crowd.

agree.gif You might be surprised to see the cheers during a flyby for a new turbine engine too-the average age of an engineer at P&W is something like 30-32 right now.

Incredible achievement! The Merlin engines powering the Falcon Heavy really are something; it's amazing how much they can be throttled to allow landing. Throttling rockets is really a big deal because of their acoustic instabilities-something like this would never be possible with other rocket technology.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm a little disappointed he put a Tesla Roadster into space though. Other rocket "firsts" have put small satellites made by schools, etc. into orbit which I've always thought is a great idea to get the even younger generations excited (note: I'm saying this as a 30 year old engineer).

KELTY360
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 7 2018, 10:42 AM) *

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm a little disappointed he put a Tesla Roadster into space though. Other rocket "firsts" have put small satellites made by schools, etc. into orbit which I've always thought is a great idea to get the even younger generations excited (note: I'm saying this as a 30 year old engineer).

In an age of rampant self promotion, this is a yuuuge leap forward!

Best ad ever.
thieuster
imho, Musk deserves a spot on the list with Edison & Nicolai Tesla.

I| wouldn't be surprised to find out that a group of wizzkids is working on a 21st Century version of the Wardenclyffe Tower project. That would solve Musk's problems: recharging batteries 'on the go'.

For now he has shifted the balance of technology, marketing and communication for next 5 - 10 yrs. Next milestone will be his Dragon rocket and the one from the other space company: Blue Origin. Within 10 -15 years this era will be closed by Musk's BFR (figure out what that means...)

there's a lot about that on YT

mbseto
[My other car is in orbit.]
Andyrew
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 7 2018, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 6 2018, 06:46 PM) *

agree.gif You might be surprised to see the cheers during a flyby for a new turbine engine too-the average age of an engineer at P&W is something like 30-32 right now.

Incredible achievement! The Merlin engines powering the Falcon Heavy really are something; it's amazing how much they can be throttled to allow landing. Throttling rockets is really a big deal because of their acoustic instabilities-something like this would never be possible with other rocket technology.

In my group of friends (early 30's) the science culture is pushed up. I strongly attribute this to Bill Nye and the science push of the early 90's.

I havent seen anything like Bill in this generation and the closest we have is Neil but he serves the older community when the kids have already gotten into science. I think the largest push these days for kids in science is the parents themselves, they had such a fondness for learning when they were kids and they want to instill the value of intelligence and learning with their children.

I was really happy to see that the Magic School bus got a reboot, and I personally have watched half the episodes so far smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 7 2018, 12:40 PM) *
I havent seen anything like Bill in this generation and the closest we have is Neil but he serves the older community when the kids have already gotten into science.

Which is exactly why sending a Tesla that streams selfies from space is going to work with the millennials.

It's the sort of social media self promotion they can relate to ...
shades.gif
74ravenna
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 7 2018, 01:04 PM) *

There's one thing that would have made this better:

IPB Image

av-943.gif

It would've been great if they did the driver in the likeness of Steve Wright and put "The Club" on the steering wheel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.