Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Very Interesting.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
914werke
HERE

idea.gif
mepstein
I'm on his email list. Nice build with lots of high end parts. Seller won't give a price, just takes offers.
My 914
Has anyone here looked at this project?
Jonathan Livesay
I would totally pay $1 for that.
roblav1
I'm on his list too.
burton73
So what do you think it is worth?

$35,000 -$40,000.
davehg
maybe add a bit for the 3.6. I would think he could ask $45k if complete and only paint and assembly is needed. Sort of depends on engine and tranny condition.

Paint will be $8k if the body work is mostly done right. A finished car would fetch $50k+ methinks

I’ll probably have $35-38k into my build by the time I finish. Mine had no steel flares, no chassis reinforcements, and instead of a 3.6 it had completely rebuilt from a split case 2.7 RS spec twin plug.
mepstein
He's got 20 into the engine, 10 into the trans, 5 for factory steel flairs, another 5 for the shop to weld them, 5 for wheels and tires. I would be surprised if he will take less than 60 but It's just a guess.
carr914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 7 2018, 06:37 AM) *

He's got 20 into the engine, 10 into the trans, 5 for factory steel flairs, another 5 for the shop to weld them, 5 for wheels and tires. I would be surprised if he will take less than 60 but It's just a guess.

Those Numbers are insane, especially for the Flares & install
mepstein
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 7 2018, 06:52 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 7 2018, 06:37 AM) *

Those Numbers are insane, especially for the Flares & install

Factory flares and a shop install in San Diego. I know we all search for deals but if you walk into a shop, it's retail. I bet I'm not far off the number.
roblav1
He bought the parts and had the work done years ago. My take is $10K engine, $7K transaxle, $1K flairs, $2K welding.
Add up the rest of parts and what looks like a pretty good chassis: $8K.
Adds up to roughly $28K.

There's at least $12K left in work between body, paint, assembly, oil cooler fitting and fabrication, and getting it to run right. Since he didn't have a front oil cooler on the thing when he ran it, I'll assume the engine overheated. In other words, it's high risk.

$28K as it sits.
Cairo94507
That is a hell of a project car with some very desirable parts and if it is all as stated, a pristine chassis. I agree with Mark's valuations on all but the flares. There, I am with TC. $1K steel flares and probably $3K for install. But this car should go for $45K to $50K as it sits, in pieces.
EdwardBlume
If you take an end value of $50K and subtract the cost of what's left, you're in the 20s. If you part it all out, 30s+

mepstein
The way I read the description they were factory flares but I could be wrong.

Let me know where you get 993 engines for $10k. I’ll take a couple.
A Wevo built trans is $10k.
Just bodywork, paint and assembly will be $20k. I’m talking shop prices, not DIY.
Buy a similar car built by PMS and you will spend $150K

You can drive a Porsche engine around the block without an oil cooler. 9 quarts of oil doesn’t get hot in a minute.
iwanta914-6
I've seen this all over facebook groups too. With "taking offers" it just wastes a lot of people's time. If you are someone that really truly wants it, then you'll have to throw your absolute best (highest) offer at him and hope he doesn't go down the list and tell everyone that he has a standing offer at X dollars and give them a chance to up their number. Essentially becoming an auction.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if it has never been assembled and running, between paint and mechanical and interior etc, I can easily see spending 25 thousand more on this car. It mounts up quickly.
The best way to buy one of these is a completed car after the owner gets tired of it. This one is basically a shell with a bunch of expensive parts. We did a 3.6 a couple of years ago and it cost the customer 90 thousand for all of the custom fabrication (including air conditioning) Great car but is it really worth the money? Maybe a slightly used GT3 instead!!
Mueller
Sad to see it being sold, hopefully it goes to a good home and gets completed.

I couldn't afford to complete the car correctly if all of that was free!

Did the motor need the 3.8 pistons and cylinders or was that just being done for a little extra fun?
mepstein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 7 2018, 01:28 PM) *

Did the motor need the 3.8 pistons and cylinders or was that just being done for a little extra fun?

It’s a common mod if you want some more hp.
Mueller
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 7 2018, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 7 2018, 01:28 PM) *

It’s a common mod if you want some more hp.

Crazy, I was happy with the stock 3.6 in my old 964.
matthepcat
I dont think I would pay more than $20k for this...regardless of parts. The motor is no guarantee, so consider it a core. You can get a nice 914 for $20k.
roblav1
I bought a 45K mile 993 engine in 2014 for $10K. He bought his way before that when they were cheaper. My 993 engine didn't have your normal air cooled 911 engine oil cooler, and it took a lot of fabrication to make a decent duct system for the front oil cooler on my -6 build. I would not use the parts he bought for that purpose. My duct system had two small motorcycle electric fans to help cool when stationary. Those fans are light, cheap, and effective.

So I still stand by my max of $28K for his car.
mepstein
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Feb 7 2018, 08:13 PM) *

I bought a 45K mile 993 engine in 2014 for $10K. He bought his way before that when they were cheaper. My 993 engine didn't have your normal air cooled 911 engine oil cooler, and it took a lot of fabrication to make a decent duct system for the front oil cooler on my -6 build. I would not use the parts he bought for that purpose. My duct system had two small motorcycle electric fans to help cool when stationary. Those fans are light, cheap, and effective.

So I still stand by my max of $28K for his car.

Make an offer. See what happens.
roblav1
If someone buys my 18K mile 40th Anniversary 911, I will!
mepstein
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Feb 7 2018, 08:44 PM) *

If someone buys my 18K mile 40th Anniversary 911, I will!

Will you base the sale price on what you paid when you purchased?
roblav1
Sure...
sixaddict
Great way to end up way upside down in a car.
We are headbang.gif
eric9144
I'm in San Diego and was game to take a shot if it was a reasonable price--this was his email response dry.gif

"No asking price yet established. I’m suggesting interested parties divide the project into four groups and estimate each separately. (1) Engine & mods, (2) Chassis & mods, (3) Gear box with mods, and (4) “Goodies” (non-essential for a roadworthy car). Examples: 914-6 steering column, tools, manuals, heated rear window, etc, etc. Then tender an offer in light of your own estimates. I have $60K+ wrapped up on parts and labor. Don’t expect to get back all, but not giving away either.

Gordon"

Personally I don't want to play that game and told him his non-answer was answer enough and GLWTS sheeplove.gif
karlt
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Feb 7 2018, 08:55 PM) *

I dont think I would pay more than $20k for this...regardless of parts. The motor is no guarantee, so consider it a core. You can get a nice 914 for $20k.

Case in point: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-914-2-0-8/
mepstein
You guys do/don't realize that a core 993 engine sells for at least $10K. shades.gif

And by core, I mean needs a rebuild, not just dirty.

But I agree with the above. I'm not interested in "guess my selling price".
roblav1
I emailed him last night and broke up the values He's not responded yet. Given his email response above, I'm out.
cal44
I inquired. And after the returned response?

I wish him luck. Manners, as Kramer once stated, "is a foundation to a good society"
Mueller
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 8 2018, 12:26 PM) *

You guys do/don't realize that a core 993 engine sells for at least $10K. shades.gif

And by core, I mean needs a rebuild, not just dirty.

But I agree with the above. I'm not interested in "guess my selling price".

I could see someone that wants or has a Singer 911 buying this package just for the motor and selling the rest or installing a smaller /6 into.
eric9144
There's a pretty decent 3.2 on Ebay with a BIN of $42k, too bad for us CA guys it's a 76 model year... painted and driveable, I think the seller is screwy.gif

If he wants an auction, he should just put the whole package up on BAT with a reserve price in his range and let the internet decide.
Mueller
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Feb 8 2018, 03:50 PM) *

There's a pretty decent 3.2 on Ebay with a BIN of $42k, too bad for us CA guys it's a 76 model year... painted and driveable, I think the seller is screwy.gif

If he wants an auction, he should just put the whole package up on BAT with a reserve price in his range and let the internet decide.

A 3.2 is new enough that one could make that a smog legal conversion.
Mueller
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Feb 8 2018, 03:50 PM) *

A 3.2 is new enough that one could make that a smog legal conversion.
My 914
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Feb 8 2018, 03:28 PM) *

I emailed him last night and broke up the values He's not responded yet. Given his email response above, I'm out.

I think he's probably just a bottom line guy.
Montreal914
Add is gone...
Any update? popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 12 2018, 03:37 PM) *

Add is gone...
Any update? popcorn[1].gif

I got an email that it sold.
Michel
late to the party , seller was entertaining offers over 35 when I had correspondence

The component parts of this car assuming all was in order , made it a stellar purchase for someone in US or Europe . I could imagine it sold in the 40’s based on parts. I’d hoped it could have been bought in the 30’s

To bring a car like this to oz and finish it would have meant an easy 80-90 plus invested

Great buy for someone with capacity to finish
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.