Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/C hose removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
A while back we put in a replacement panel for the A/C in the front and now we're about to replace the right front fender on the car. Up against the body pillar are two hoses, one I know for sure was part of the A/C system so I already cut a large portion of it out.

The second hose is the one I'm wondering about. It goes up the fenderwell and then pops out just underneath the water bottle. I'm "reasonably" sure that this is part of the A/C as well but, I wanted to ask for some verification before I start removing something that I might not want to.

Here's the pillar / fenderwell shot with the fender removed:
Click to view attachment

And here's underneath the water bottle:
Click to view attachment

And if I'm correct, the lower rocker panel will need to be removed to get the entire length of the hoses out of the car.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. The compressor and the cooler / condenser have already been removed just these last two hoses remain.
MarkV
The hoses are probably old and somewhat brittle. you may have to remove the right side rocker cover. You could try cutting it under the rear fender and pulling it out from the front. I think I would try to find some plastic or rubber plugs to fill the holes. sawzall-smiley.gif
76-914
Go buy a $5 ratcheting PVC pipe cutter at Lowe's or Harbor Freight. Makes quick cuts. Remove the valance to access the hose. Cut out a few small pieces and your done. beerchug.gif
Chip
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Feb 6 2018, 05:19 PM) *

A while back we put in a replacement panel for the A/C in the front and now we're about to replace the right front fender on the car. Up against the body pillar are two hoses, one I know for sure was part of the A/C system so I already cut a large portion of it out.

The second hose is the one I'm wondering about. It goes up the fenderwell and then pops out just underneath the water bottle. I'm "reasonably" sure that this is part of the A/C as well but, I wanted to ask for some verification before I start removing something that I might not want to.

Here's the pillar / fenderwell shot with the fender removed:
Click to view attachment

And here's underneath the water bottle:
Click to view attachment

And if I'm correct, the lower rocker panel will need to be removed to get the entire length of the hoses out of the car.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. The compressor and the cooler /

condenser have already been removed just these last two hoses remain.

Yes, both hoses are A/C hoses. One of mine was larger and braided. The other was aluminum. The aluminum one was very corroded as it ran under the rocker panel, which you should remove to get the hose free. Both of these hoses attached to a canister-like can, which was attached to the back corner of the front bonnet. This can (it looks like a coil), is the cleaner. From the cleaner, smaller lines (2 ea. ) ran into the condenser. (The big radiator-looking thing that is under the spare tire. Mine also had a small wire running along with the hoses.
Please ask any other questions. I hope I have helped.

mmichalik
Thanks guys, this answers my questions.

I'll be cutting that out this afternoon!

Have a great day,

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.