Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shout Out to Don at Dallas Custon Steering Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Fitton
Don has really got his "thick wrap" steering wheel covers dialed in to perfection. First picture is from a real factory race department supplied RS/GT wheel the last two pictures are Don's work. I supplied the wheel to Don 1 week turnaround total was $475. Very Happy!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
pray.gif wub.gif
Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.
mepstein
He's done 6 wheels for me. I'm always a happy customer.
I would have kept the original one. It's perfect.
Larmo63
I love mine. Not cheap and worth every penny.

Other ones I've seen aren't as nice IMHO.

driving-girl.gif
ValcoOscar
I'm a happy customer too....

I'll need another one soon
aharder
I'm looking forward to having mine done also.
mb911
Very nice work.. Someday I will be ready for one
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 7 2018, 08:40 AM) *

PM, sent.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Feb 7 2018, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 7 2018, 08:40 AM) *

PM, sent.

Explanation understood. beerchug.gif
Mueller
Too nice of a wheel, I'd have to wear white gloves while driving to ensure no dirt or damage!
pete000
Now that you don't need that factory wheel any more I will gladly take it off your hands !
stevend914
I can't wait to see mine...it's suppose to be delivered tomorrow
Larmo63
I actually did buy some really nice driving gloves and it's quite sporty on long drives to wear them.

driving-girl.gif
green914
Very nice! agree.gif
rktmn247
Looks great! That is what I'm going for also.
Mike Fitton
That is a repro hockey puck by the way, best one I have found came from Europe. I think it was $340 shipped the guy sells them on Ebay. It comes with all the backside hardware too!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Horn-Button-Push-P...W4AAOSwwE5WXDp-
Cairo94507
I have one waiting to go on my Six - can't wait to get it in my hands.
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 7 2018, 06:58 PM) *

I actually did buy some really nice driving gloves and it's quite sporty on long drives to wear them.

driving-girl.gif

poke.gif Next you'll be wanting to wear your high heels, too. lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Morrie
I have had one of his on my 912 for several years. Glove leather, double wrapped. Beautiful piece and very nice for driving especially compared to the plastic.
stevend914
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Feb 7 2018, 08:43 PM) *

Arrived yesterday:

Click to view attachment

Not the best picture taker - but now that the wheel is like new, what do I do about the horn button?
Mueller
How does the horn button attach?
gothspeed
Steering wheels look great! What does this service include? Powder coat? build up of degraded/missing material before leather wrap?
mepstein
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 9 2018, 10:43 AM) *

Steering wheels look great! What does this service include? Powder coat? build up of degraded/missing material before leather wrap?

Wheels have to be painted. The powdercoat oven would melt the plastic or rubber rim. If you want the right color, paint it yourself with black trim paint. Dallas can paint but a couple people who I trust have said it's not the right black. I've never sent a damaged wheel but I would just talk to Don first and get his feedback. You also want to write down what you want, include with the wheel and be very specific.
Thick grip
padded or no padding on spokes - Mike's are not padded, I style I prefer.
leather ends on spokes standard or cut sharp (RS style) like Mike's.
Stitching on spokes different than rim - normal or RS style - all the same stitch.
ect.
mepstein
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Feb 9 2018, 10:20 AM) *

Arrived yesterday:

Click to view attachment

Not the best picture taker - but now that the wheel is like new, what do I do about the horn button?

You can (carefully) pop the foam off by using your thumbs from the back of the metal frame. Then paint the metal. Then reinstall the foam with contact adhesive. Then clean the foam and apply some black shoe polish.

If you screw it up, PM me and I'll send you a painted frame and foam pad for the cost of shipping.
stevend914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 9 2018, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Feb 9 2018, 10:20 AM) *

Arrived yesterday:

Click to view attachment

You can (carefully) pop the foam off by using your thumbs from the back of the metal frame. Then paint the metal. Then reinstall the foam with contact adhesive. Then clean the foam and apply some black shoe polish.

If you screw it up, PM me and I'll send you a painted frame and foam pad for the cost of shipping.

Thanks, I'll give that a try this weekend.

Used a medium sized screwdriver and removed the foam from the metal frame. Foam looks pretty good, maybe a cleaning and it'll be fine.
stevend914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 9 2018, 09:41 AM) *

Hold the steering wheel and rotate the horn button counterclockwise, it'll be free at around 45 degrees.
mepstein
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Feb 9 2018, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 9 2018, 09:41 AM) *

Hold the steering wheel and rotate the horn button counterclockwise, it'll be free at around 45 degrees.

Twist on or off.
gothspeed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 9 2018, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 9 2018, 10:43 AM) *

Wheels have to be painted. The powdercoat oven would melt the plastic or rubber rim. If you want the right color, paint it yourself with black trim paint. Dallas can paint but a couple people who I trust have said it's not the right black. I've never sent a damaged wheel but I would just talk to Don first and get his feedback. You also want to write down what you want, include with the wheel and be very specific.
Thick grip
padded or no padding on spokes - Mike's are not padded, I style I prefer.
leather ends on spokes standard or cut sharp (RS style) like Mike's.
Stitching on spokes different than rim - normal or RS style - all the same stitch.
ect.

Thanks for the info. I would love to have a restored stock wheel with thicker grip and hockey puck. But for now I need to continue with the reassembly. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.