Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: need paint respirator recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I'm painting my car (single stage paint and also using polyester primer/surfacer) and the respirator mask I'm using isn't quite cutting it. It could be the filters need changing, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade to something better.

Please note I wear glasses. I have facial hair, but I could shave if that's a better way to go.

I'm using one like this, with 3M 6001 organic vapor filters:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Large-Paint-...PA1-A/100195886

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks!
rvanderpyl
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Feb 7 2018, 06:59 PM) *

I'm painting my car (single stage paint and also using polyester primer/surfacer) and the respirator mask I'm using isn't quite cutting it. It could be the filters need changing, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade to something better.

Please note I wear glasses. I have facial hair, but I could shave if that's a better way to go.

I'm using one like this, with 3M 6001 organic vapor filters:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Large-Paint-...PA1-A/100195886

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks!

Find an industrial safety supply company and buy a full face mask. Car paint, even the so called environmentally safe stuff is a nightmare for your lungs, and if you aren’t using a full paint booth that pulls the fumes away you need protection for your eyes as well. Expect to spend a couple of hundred dollars for something that will do a good job.
Olympic 914
have used the 3M 6001 filters to paint single stage. used with a pre-filter and you DO have to change the filters often. if you can smell the paint the filter needs changed.
burton73
You may have a leak in contact with your face. There are instructions of proper mask fitting. I think you are doing this at home. The catalyzed paints can be super nasty. Some deadly. Even you single stages have hardeners.

Polyester use MEKP. What are you doing to remove the explosive fumes?

Bob B
FL000
If you are painting it in a garage I would use a forced air supply. I painted mine recently and used a hobbyair half mask that I was happy with. Didn’t smell any fumes - not a scent. About $400 but well worth the peace of mind.
ValcoOscar
I only use a binks millennium 3000 when I paint.

burton73
What are you going to do with your kids?

Small masks?

Take care of yourself!

Bob B w00t.gif
Andyrew
The harbor freight respirator as a single use has always worked for me. As soon as you use clear or SS through a resparator the filter clogs up completely.

Airflow is critical as has been mentioned. If painting in the garage open the back door and the garage door. Fan out the garage door with the large fans, as many as you can stack, seal them up, then open the garage door large enough to fit some super cheap AC filters.
Andyrew
This puppy.

https://m.harborfreight.com/p95-maintenance...arge-67727.html

Again, I use it as a single use. I keep one for priming that I reseal, then one new one every time I spray color.
eric914
I use a 3M full face mask with organic vapor cartridge. When you smell paint its time to change the cartridges.
914 RZ-1
In answer to some of the questions:

I've made a paint booth (an 8' x 8' x 8' plastic covered box made of 2x3's) in my garage with one 20" fan. Probably need to add at least one more. When I make it bigger to paint the whole car, I'm gonna have at least 4 fans.

I open the main door and the side door and keep the fan running on high long after I'm done, especially when spraying the polyester. I'll also keep the main door cracked open with the fan on to get rid of the fumes. The kids stay out of the garage. The fumes can come in the house, though, so I try to keep the fans running and the house door closed. I also try to spray before they get home or when they are not home.

I think my issue is caused by facial hair, old cartridges and a missing one-way flap in the mask. I think it fell off the last time I cleaned the mask.

I've used this mask before to practice paint a hood and it worked great. But, I had no facial hair and the cartridges were newer. I store the cartridges in a sealed plastic bag, but I suspect they still only last so long.

I think I will need to wear either a bandana or head sock and safety goggles that go over my glasses to keep paint absorption to a minimum. I also have a set of coveralls (my 6-year-old daughter calls it my "man suit!").

I'm doing this once and then my painting career is over.

I appreciate all the input. I hope others find this useful.
Phoenix-MN
Last time I painted a car I bought and used this.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/hobbyair.php

I don't plan on ever painting a car again so I guess it would be up for sale biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.