Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone ever install window wipe inside door?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william harris
Well, I'm knee deep into the door restoration. I've run into a piece that is proving almost impossible to install. Anyone ever done this damn thing? The wipe that goes next to the window, fits in the metal channel attached to the door with three screws. Help. This is a new part, and like every other piece of weather strip, it has a metal core, that guides the piece into the channel. It just won't slide it and I'm afraid I will screw it up trying to force it. confused24.gif
william harris
Another view of today's frustration. headbang.gif
aircooledboy
spray the heck out of the bead of the rubber part with spray silicone. hit the channel with a light coat. should then slide right in. Try to avoid spraying the squeege part as much as possible, as that is the part you will need to hold onto when you slide it in. beerchug.gif
tracks914
Another trick is to wet the rubber down with dish soap and a bit of water. It will slide right in too and is easy to clean off.
scotty b
Tongue and cheek placement is also very important, as are picking the appropriate "blue" werds to refer to the pieces by biggrin.gif
flesburg
Several years ago I replaced mine after I had the chassis and doors dipped in stripper.
I had a hard time getting the screws out and removing the aluminum strip from the inside of the top of the door. I ended up carefully prying up the lower edge of the aluminum that holds the strip of "wipe material" and then placing the new "wipe" in the channel and carefully reforming the aluminum around it. If you are careful and only bend the lower edge, when it is reinstalled, that edge does not show. Easy does it though. Try the rubber lubricant (although I do not think the "wipe" has a rubber backing on it) and soap ideas first.
SirAndy
QUOTE (william harris @ Jun 1 2005, 06:34 PM)
It just won't slide it and I'm afraid I will screw it up trying to force it. confused24.gif

well, if i recall corrct (it's been about 2 years since i did this to my doors) that stripe is held in place with the screws that you use to mount the chrome channel as well.

i don't think it slides in at all ...

or maybe i put in one edge and used a small flat blade screwdriver to press in the other edge ...

geeez, alzheimer is no fun ...
unsure.gif Andy
CptTripps
You do NOT want to screw the rubber into place. It'll scratch the window all up.

I used a felt I bought at Lowes. It was $6 for 6'. It's used for the bottom of furnature. I was AMAZED at how well it worked/looked. It's a tad thicker than the stock stuff, but mine was 30+yrs old and brittle, so I'm not sure that it wasn't that thick to begin with. It was the exact width, and I just pressed it in. Has an adhesive on the back too.

I'll take pics and locate the package if you are interested. The 4-5 '914' guys that have seen my car think it's OEM, and looks great.
SirAndy
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 1 2005, 10:21 PM)
You do NOT want to screw the rubber into place. It'll scratch the window all up.

he's not talking about the rubber piece ... dry.gif

he's talking about the felt-strip that goes on the inside. it has 3 holes for the sunken screws that hold it to the door. it's supposed to be screwed in ...

cool.gif Andy
McMark
I did a pair a couple of months ago. Used brute force to make them go in. Make sure your channels are straight and not pinched somewhere. Once I couldn't push any harder I used a screwdriver in one of the holes to help push it along. I wouldn't use silicone or lithium on this piece because you'll never get it cleaned out of the "fabric". Use soapy water, as suggested above.
ChrisFoley
William,
Thats the felt piece I was asking you about. I couldn't believe you slid it in without any trouble, lol.
I use glycerin (available at pharmacies) as a lubricant. It cleans up easily with water. No matter what you use it will be difficult to slip into the channel, the fit is very tight. You have to make sure the back surface doesn't tear as you slide the piece in.
Also, IIRC, pre-stressing the metal backbone helps. Push the entire length in from the back (just a little bit), against the corner of a workbench or something.
rhodyguy
those 3 screws rustweld quite nicely. Aeorkroil? glycerin works the best on seal replacement for sure. place liberal amounts on both the chanel and the rubber piece.

k
aircooledboy
If that is the felt part we are talking about, well, nevermind what I said. screwy.gif

If it is the rubber wiper squeege, then I'm telling you, spray silicone it what professionals use anytime they install a rubber part that needs to slide into place. I did it for a living for several years, and I swing by the shop to see my old buddies, and they still use it. Works like a charm, and glass cleaner will clean it up in a snap. confused24.gif
RON S.
I did mine several years ago on my 6r.

Felt had 3 screws holding it in,

Outer rubber I had to grease the channel to slide it in,

All in all,a MAJOR huh.gif P.I.T.A. job

Ron
william harris
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yeah, Chris this felt piece is a real PITA, now I see what you were talking about. I was meaning the felt pieces that go in the window channels - they were absolutely child's play. Hope the lube it up method works. Will post results tonight. beer.gif
Doug Leggins
Great question William! I've been thinking about this one a bit -it's scarin the hell out of me. blink.gif There doesn't seem to be an easy way.

The back of the felt strip is a patterned cloth type of material, not rubber. So it's not gonna slide easily. I have been thinking that slipping in the top and then slowly forcing in the bottom with a screwdriver might work.

If you find a good way of installing the piece, PLEASE share the technique.

william harris
Doug: I thought about the force it in approach, but the piece costs $50.00 bucks and the fabric covering is very fragile. Also the aluminum strip it goes into won't take too much force without bending and so, the slip it in approach is the way we will go today. Will post results.
william harris
Damn, getting close to 914 posts. lol2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.