Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 heads in a 76 2.0?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
beto
I bought a 76 2.0 two years ago. It only had 43k on it. When my mechanic accepted delivery he noted the surrounding metal was mostly gone and the heads were not 2.0??!! Why someone did that no clue. Cost probably. It is a non Weber dual carb set up. He installed 1.8 cooling tin. Dilemma the car runs and sounds great. It is as fast as my 73 2.0 FI. Should I start sourcing 2.0 heads before they are out of reach or just forget it? It's a matching engine. Thx
mepstein
There are now a couple sources for new 2.0 heads. Maybe pick up a pair and tuck them away for when you need the next rebuild.
Mueller
Did all '76 2.0 heads have the smog ports in them or only California models?

914Sixer
All 75-76 2.0L had smog ports
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 8 2018, 07:55 PM) *

There are now a couple sources for new 2.0 heads. Maybe pick up a pair and tuck them away for when you need the next rebuild.

Please list who these 2.0 litre head sources are for new product ...

current costs are ?
Mueller
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 9 2018, 04:26 PM) *

current costs are ?

AA Products is having brand new castings made, $250ish each I think.

The heads appear to be pretty desent however it is recommened that the hardware be replaced with better known quality parts.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 9 2018, 09:29 PM) *

current costs are ?

The heads appear to be pretty desent however it is recommened that the hardware be replaced with better known quality parts.

AA Products ?

any relation to Automobile Atlanta ?
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 9 2018, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 9 2018, 09:29 PM) *

current costs are ?

AA Products ?

any relation to Automobile Atlanta ?

No - Bill Wilson
914werke
...and the heads they are reproducing are not correct to the 75-76 smog equipped cars.
Not insurmountable but who wants to machine a NEW set of heads for smog ports that were generally accepted as bad idea
gothspeed
This is not the first time I have seen 1.8 heads on a 2.0 engine. As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with 1.8 heads. I took a set of 1.8 heads off a 2.0 engine not too long ago. They were mildly ported too, maybe they were replacing cracked 2.0 heads? or maybe the 1.8 heads are more robust? Anyone know why?
barefoot
When i got my 76 2L it had bus heads with the small 48cc chambers vs the 60cc chambers standard in 2L heads.
Not sure what chambers the 1.8 heads have, but you may have a nice compression boost.
Morrie
There was a point in time where Jake Raby had reported that the 1.8 heads were good candidates for HO motors IIRC from my 912E days. I know several 912E owners who looked into this. I don't think you are missing out.

As far as the AA heads, do a search on this forum. There are a couple good threads including a review by Len Hoffman. I believe he found the heads acceptable after cleaning them up and installing new hardware. Definitely a possible alternative. I am sure that Len could set them up for smog ports if you really need them.
beto
Hey everyone thx a million! It was bothering me but I think I'll let sleeping dogs lay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.