Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cooling shroud question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtndawg
I have a 1975 2.0 car that had parts added from other 914's, 911 and even VW van resources many years ago by other owners. It's occurred to me today that according to the part number this shroud might be from a bus. I took this engine out of the car along with the sheet metal and heat exchangers and everything seemed to fit. Here's the question... Can I use SSI 2.0L heat exchangers with this if I switch out the other heating connection components for early 1.7 or 2.0 parts? I don't heat exchangers yet so I can't check the fit. I hope to eventually get my hands of SSI HE's.
Tbrown4x4
I thought the plug for checking timing made it a 914 part. I can't check my shroud part # until tomorrow.
Tbrown4x4
That's the same part number on my 72-73 shroud. (Engine code EA)

I can't comment on the 75 heater parts.
mtndawg
Thanks for the comment, maybe I have an early shroud and not the 1975. I don't know if they're different.
jcd914
If there are differences (I doubt there are) it does not matter, they are interchangeable.

Jim
rhodyguy
NONE of the 75' gear except the heat valves will work on the backdate. Branch ducting, j tubes, maybe the elbows, muffler hanger bracket (heat exchanger specific), warm air guides.

Earlier version Warm air guides. You have to be careful. The driver's side is side-tail shift specific. Pass side is common.
JFG
Apologies for the hijack.

The two little flaps at the bottom of the shroud, why?

If i understand correctly with these shut more air would pass through the cooling tin thus improving head cooling etc?
mtndawg
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 9 2018, 12:13 PM) *

NONE of the 75' gear except the heat valves will work on the backdate. Branch ducting, j tubes, maybe the elbows, muffler hanger bracket (heat exchanger specific), warm air guides.

Earlier version Warm air guides. You have to be careful. The driver's side is side-tail shift specific. Pass side is common.

I'm planning to update the other parts if I eventually get my hands on the SSI's. I think I've got some of the parts in my misc stash.
rgolia
QUOTE(JFG @ Feb 9 2018, 03:54 PM) *

If i understand correctly with these shut more air would pass through the cooling tin thus improving head cooling etc?

But they only close when the engine is off or am I missing something. What are they for........someone has to know?
bbrock
QUOTE(rgolia @ Feb 9 2018, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(JFG @ Feb 9 2018, 03:54 PM) *

But they only close when the engine is off or am I missing something. What are they for........someone has to know?

I think they close when the heater blower is switched on to keep the hot air from blowing back into the cooling shroud.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.