Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 718 Cayman, anyone have one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
At the local P-car dealer and saw a new 718 Cayman in Sapphire Blue and now I can't get it out of my head. been looking at the Porsche configurator and searching the dealers stock.

Does anyone have one and what options did you get?

So far my must have options are the Sapphire Blue, PDK and Nav, leaning towards the Sport Chrono and PASM. maybe the PTV.

Still trying to convince the GF but I think I might be wearing her down. The PDK will be good because then she could drive it.

mepstein
I stop by the dealer all the time for parts. I mostly look at the early Porsche’s they display but the new ones do look pretty amazing.
walterolin
I ordered one bone stock from the factory last year. I did pay extra for the metallic gray, and the sales mgr threw in heated seats, otherwise no options.

It is a modern 914. 2.0 (yes you can turbo a 2.0) 4 cyl, MT, 18 inch wheels. A host of goodies.

300 HP, 20 lbs of boost, runs like a scalded rabbit.

And it attracts attention.

If you decide to factory order, takes about 90 days.
My 914
PDK, sport chrono and PASM are all excellent options that you will not regret having. If you can afford the S model, get it as the performance improvement is well with worth the extra $$. Having the GF able to drive it is key in the long run. Good luck!
gothspeed
ok for those who have ordered, lets see some pics!!! biggrin.gif
thelogo

modern 911 is the way to go before the 718.
even though

They are cool but why would you want modern pdk 914 and i personally perfer naturally aspirated to boost

When old 914s are air cooled
No pow steering, brakes ,race shift pattern
pedals that pivot from below , raw sports car

As op said "
Cant get that outta my head

Why didnt they recreate any of that

Carrera gt talk about heal toe
I guess that explains tbe tricky clutch manipulation
campbellcj
^^^ I'm with you. A few years ago (before the 718 and 991.2 series were out) I was shopping and briefly contemplated a new Cayman S or even a GT4, a Macan S or Turbo, but then I quickly realized I could get one of my lifetime 'dream cars' used but in pristine condition, with a factory warranty, for LESS money! Hence the CPO 911 Turbo won out and I have zero regrets whatsoever about making that move. It's one of the last Turbos with the historic Mezger engine and a manual transmission; 4 years later it's worth just about what I paid if not perhaps a bit more.
VegasRacer
Not a 718 (or 981) but I have owned a pair of 987.2 Caymans. First was an 09 S, then I upgraded to my current Cayman R. Both were purchased CPO with less than 8K miles and more than 20k below MSRP.

As far as options - If you get PDK, most will tell you that Sports Crono is a must have. It is also highly recommended with the 6MT.
PTV and LSD are nice, but you will never miss them if they are not on the car.
Automatic Climate Control works perfectly. I was always fiddling with the manual.
The base stereo is basic but works fine. The Bose is much better. (I almost never turn it on except for long road trips.)
Sports Exhaust is one of my favorite options. It might not be as enjoyable on a 718?
I am sure PASM would be pleasant to have. (Most would think my sport suspension is to harsh.)
A rear wiper is ugly and superfluous.
The bi-xenon headlights are awesome. They turn with the car and light up the road like a rally car.
Anybody would be happy with a base model. Nobody would ever regret stepping up for the S model.

I love having both a Classic 914 and a Modern 914. Each one makes me appreciate the other one even more. They are both so incredibly good at what they do.

Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
Most here can’t afford a new P car (that’s why we have 914s biggrin.gif )

I’ve driven the last 3 years worth of the model range due to a track day hookup from the factory dealer.
Go drive one yourself, don’t believe the press, these new turbo cars are amazing! Engines are very stout, I actually like the standard 991.2 Carter’s, the smaller turbo boost makes it feel almost NA. The 718 S feels about the same on power (had them back to back on the auto-x course) but feels more boosted.

FWIW the bosxsters sound just fine w/ sport exhaust, the press is full of it complaining about the noise, or maybe I don’t mind a flat 4 soundtrack wink.gif

Now the Cayman R or GT4, that’s a horse of a different color, they are straight up awesome
DRPHIL914
i was driving thru Jax Florida on my way to Orlando for a conference on friday afternoon- in my '97 986, and came along side a very nice new Boxster- a good bit wider than my original first year car- i hate sitting behind slow traffic especially trucks etc , i gave him a wave and nod, not so much as a blink from the driver- i left him in my rear view he got stuck behind a couple trucks- nice looking cars - i will eventually upgrade to a non ims boxster or cayman(2010 or newer) eventually- i guess - but for now i enjoy the heck put of this car when the 914 is not drivable or its too hot- AND I paid $7500 for a 38k mile car with hard top- i have A/c and air bags, no other junk- just got done doing full clutch / pressure plate/flywheel job and new hydraulic clutch - the p.o. should never ever drive a clutch lol she burned it up- did the IMS while there , its the LN Raby new dual row hybrid ceramic bearing with 75k mile warrenty - any way ther is a definite change in the shound of the new 4 turbo vs the /6 cars as you might expect- honestly having driven one of all of them i enjoy the 914 more than any on a tight twisty road like up at Okteenerfest and the 986 early cars are close- the newer they get the bigger they are the less od a pure driving experience you are going to get
IMHO
campbellcj
I've gotta say if Porsche ever builds something like a Cayman GT4 with the 991.2 GT3 engine and PDK, and hopefully "adds some lightness", I'd scrape together nickels like there's no tomorrow to try and get one. There have been rumours.

I am very intrigued by the forthcoming Mission E car as well. We have 6 gas vehicles in the family now, all older, with the most fuel-efficient one getting low 20's mpg. I'm a petrolhead and not really a tree-hugger but I do think a full-electric could be a real hoot. Most of my driving these days is within a 10-mile radius...I have to deliberately extend my work commute (on days when I don't walk there) just to get the car warmed-up.
Olympic 914
I am also in the Can't afford a new 911 camp but may be able to swing a new Cayman. I like the smaller size, don't need the back seat in a 911 (Ha-Ha) or the price tag.

Looking through the CPO used around the area and most of the base Cayman are barely optioned and usually with things I don't want, Or could care less about.

20" wheels ............ Western Pennsylvania, Pothole capital of the world.
Bose Stereo .......... Barely listen to the radio
Dual zone climate ... in a car this small, can you even have two zones?
14/ 18 way seats .... I adjust it once, and I'm good.
Porsche connect ..... No Apple phone...
Sport Exhaust ........ Lot of money for just noise.

Some of the used S models come with options I do like, such as the Sport Chrono with the PDK. and the NAV, but at that price I can get a base with most of the options I DO want. I would probably be OK with just the 300hp of the 2.0 base model instead of the 350hp 2.5L in the S

This wouldn't be a garage queen and would go on longer trips, the 914 is fun for blasting around on local back roads.

My dream option list would be as follows.

Sapphire Blue
PDK.
NAV.
Sport Chrono
PASM.
bi-Xenon headlights. PDLS
sport plus seats
Standard 18" wheels
PTV
and a couple other little things .

Probably would be keeping it a while so not worried about resale, or what the next guy might want.

The GFs main argument against is "Why do you need 6 vehicles?"
( 5 current vehicles > SVT Raptor DD, 914, and 3 Harleys - 2001 FLHTC Touring, 77FXE Super Glide Cruiser, and 48 rigid Chopper. Not counting her MB C300 )

Storage is also an issue, since the teener gets the shed and the 3 motorcycles currently reside in my half of the 2-car integral garage. I may be able to get rid of a seldom used large table saw, and some other seldom used lawn equipment. then shift a couple bikes to the shed with the teener and put the Cayman in the integral garage. Just thinking out loud here.

When the weather gets a bit better I will go back to the dealer to do some test drives. and let them talk a little.
RickS
Drove one on the track courtesy of PCNA and it was my favorite car of the day. Even though it is ‘just a bunch of noise’ the sport exhaust sound was intoxicating. It would be a must have on my list. You will love that car no matter how you option it. This is from an owner of 3 911s.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 11 2018, 07:19 AM) *

I've gotta say if Porsche ever builds something like a Cayman GT4 with the 991.2 GT3 engine and PDK, and hopefully "adds some lightness", I'd scrape together nickels like there's no tomorrow to try and get one. There have been rumours

Yes, get saving, the latest I’ve heard is the new one will get the 4.0 flat 6 biggrin.gif
I think they’ll sell like hot cakes if it really happens.

Too rich for my blood, hopefully I can feel bush my card and I’ll be good enough with them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.