Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back space # please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal44
Can someone chime in what the correct backspacing is on a factory 5.5 rim? I measure 4 7/8 or 4 5/8" (damn old eyes). I thought it was supposed to be 4.5".

Best
Tom_T
QUOTE(cal44 @ Feb 10 2018, 01:47 PM) *

Can someone chime in what the correct backspacing is on a factory 5.5 rim? I measure 4 7/8 or 4 5/8" (damn old eyes). I thought it was supposed to be 4.5".

Best

ET40 which is 40 mm, so just use a dual measurement tape measure or ruler to get mm's.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Dave_Darling
ET is the offset, which is measured from the center of the rim. Backspacing is measured from the inside-most lip of the rim.

Offset is typically more useful to suspension engineers, who are worrying about stuff like scrub radius. Backspacing is typically more important to us, who are trying to figure out if something fits in the wheel well.

A 5.5" wide wheel is generally about 6" total width. (The nominal width is across the inside where the tire fits; the lip for the tire is about 1/4" thick and there is a lip on each side.) That's about 150mm. Half of that is 75mm. That gets you the center of the rim. Add 40mm for the ET40, and you get 115mm. Which is about 4.5".

So a 5.5" wide ET40 rim will have something close to 4.5" backspacing.

These numbers are all very approximate, so somewhere between 4.5" and 5" of backspacing seems reasonable for a 5.5 ET40 rim.

--DD
cal44
[quote name='Dave_Darling' date='Feb 10 2018, 03:35 PM' post='2577570']
ET is the offset, which is measured from the center of the rim. Backspacing is measured from the inside-most lip of the rim.

Offset is typically more useful to suspension engineers, who are worrying about stuff like scrub radius. Backspacing is typically more important to us, who are trying to figure out if something fits in the wheel well.

A 5.5" wide wheel is generally about 6" total width. (The nominal width is across the inside where the tire fits; the lip for the tire is about 1/4" thick and there is a lip on each side.) That's about 150mm. Half of that is 75mm. That gets you the center of the rim. Add 40mm for the ET40, and you get 115mm. Which is about 4.5".

So a 5.5" wide ET40 rim will have something close to 4.5" backspacing.

These numbers are all very approximate, so somewhere between 4.5" and 5" of backspacing seems reasonable for a 5.5 ET40 rim.

--DD

Thank you.
Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.