Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 1/4 mile times
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tazz9924
In my recent 914 venture at Sacramento raceway, I managed a 14.2 @91 mph. This was achieved even through a boost tube popped off before the finish line and my tune was all screwed up. The tube popping off instantly killed the car (apparently Subaru ecu’s dont like losing their maf readings) it was alot of fun putting that back on in the dark without tools to get to the pits. I’m shooting for 13s next go! So what r some of your best 1/4 mile times?
KELTY360
I'll let you know when I get my 2018 calendar calibrated. lol-2.gif
SirAndy
Never done any official 1/4 mile runs, really not my thing, but i did time my 0-60 over several runs with an average of just under 4 seconds.
piratenanner.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 10 2018, 05:02 PM) *

I'll let you know when I get my 2018 calendar calibrated. lol-2.gif

laugh.gif
Cracker
That is a respectable time - pretty cool!

T
1stworks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8yvytRtShE

tazz9924
QUOTE(1stworks @ Feb 11 2018, 07:32 AM) *

13.24 is the new goal lol
1stworks

13.24 is the new goal lol

That's at 5300 ft above sea level driving.gif
Racer
Here are some OEM times:

http://www.p914.com/p914_acceleration.htm

I recall driving the back straight at Watkins glen and thinking.. time to flip the cassette wink.gif Stock = slow.. especially vs today's cars.. vs a 70's MGB or Sprite? very competitive smile.gif
Andyrew
Im looking to go low 11's @ 130+.

Im more interested in a high trap speed than a low ET. My backyard math tells me I should be able to do that.. Putting power down and not breaking the trani is going to be the big issue. That and bogging with a long first. First and sencond gear wont be much to write home about, but I should be able to put all the power down in 3rd on the strip.

Maybe someday I'll actually get to the track..
tomeric914
13.9 @ 100mph with a "stock" 3.0, elevation 710ft

That's with the stock 901 and not dumping the clutch off the line.
Jamie
I'm thinking it would be real scary to be drag racing with a stock 901 tranny, pattern going from 1st to 2nd under extreme pressure off the line! headbang.gif
Cracker
I believe that would be difficult to achieve without a significant investment in robust driveline components. For instance, Tilton engineers use a +40% clutch/pp formula for reliability and performance. My car would require a pack capable of 800 ft lbs; then there is the transaxle, cv's, axles, etc. Interested in knowing what you do! Remember, talking about something in advance of an achievement is hollow-bragging; afterwards = reporting of facts. biggrin.gif

T

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 12 2018, 12:43 AM) *

Justinp71
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Feb 10 2018, 03:52 PM) *

In my recent 914 venture at Sacramento raceway, I managed a 14.2 @91 mph. This was achieved even through a boost tube popped off before the finish line and my tune was all screwed up. The tube popping off instantly killed the car (apparently Subaru ecu’s dont like losing their maf readings) it was alot of fun putting that back on in the dark without tools to get to the pits. I’m shooting for 13s next go! So what r some of your best 1/4 mile times?

That't pretty quick. What trans/motor are you running? I'm still running the 901 trans, 1st gear I'd probably destroy it. 2nd gear launch is either a little soft or I have to use alot of clutch. I have a 915 trans I need to install...

I'm in the area, it would be cool to watch you go down the strip next time you go...
76-914
I don't want to blow out the CV's so w/o a hard launch or burning the tires my 0-60 is 4.5 seconds. BTW, how many of these reported times are official/accurate? confused24.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 12 2018, 08:27 AM) *

I believe that would be difficult to achieve without a significant investment in robust driveline components. For instance, Tilton engineers use a +40% clutch/pp formula for reliability and performance. My car would require a pack capable of 800 ft lbs; then there is the transaxle, cv's, axles, etc. Interested in knowing what you do! Remember, talking about something in advance of an achievement is hollow-bragging; afterwards = reporting of facts. biggrin.gif

T

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 12 2018, 12:43 AM) *

Just reporting my goals smile.gif

The good thing about a turbo is I can dial in the torque, I can keep the torque down where the impact will be higher and dial the HP up with the RPM since I have such a high redline (8250) and the turbo to push it. I already have such a slow onset of boost at 16psi, when I crank it up to 30+ the ramp rate will be much quicker and thus I'll need to control it more. With my nifty boost controller I can do just that.

My CV's should handle the torque just fine, The Trani wont take very many hard launches. The oversized clutch/pressureplate combo and stage 3 components were built for an engine with much more torque onset than mine is capable of creating and should be good for 450lbs+

Again, IM just benchracing as you mentioned. I see the 11's as the difficult part. The 130+ should be doable as I can baby the driveline components there.

Im sure I'll get out there and run a 3sec 60ft sad.gif

I need to get mine reliably on the road first.
Andyrew
BTW Tony I would love to see yours down the strip with a soft launch!
ChrisFoley
I can do a flying quarter mile in about 8 seconds.
76-914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 12 2018, 10:37 AM) *

Good point, Chris! Why are we talking acceleration times in a momentum machine? av-943.gif
Cracker
IF I am doing my math correctly...I am down to about 5.5 seconds.

Andyrew: My car is probably good for 14....

T

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 12 2018, 01:37 PM) *

Justinp71
My chevelle would do 12 seconds in the 1/4 with a 450hp motor. My 914 feels as fast or faster, but it would have a hard time getting out of the hole (launching) which would make the time suffer more than it should.

Drag racing is all about the first 60 feet.

Andyrew
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 12 2018, 11:34 AM) *

My chevelle would do 12 seconds in the 1/4 with a 450hp motor. My 914 feels as fast or faster, but it would have a hard time getting out of the hole (launching) which would make the time suffer more than it should.

Drag racing is all about the first 60 feet.

My Audi A4 quattro did a 13.5 @ 100mph but that was helped with a 1.8 60ft. That was one of the most interesting cars to launch I've ever driven. I did a full throttle sweep from idle timed at the light and dropped the clutch at 4500. Just enough so the engine didnt bog down, but spooled and it quickly revved to 6500, then the tires caught up and I shifted with full traction at 7200, about 1/8 of a second from the tires catching up.. Car had the same engine as whats in the 914 but with a medium size turbo making about 330hp and stock internals. I loved that car...

QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 12 2018, 11:21 AM) *

Andyrew: My car is probably good for 14....

T

lol-2.gif

Cracker
Seriously, probably about 12 or so but who the hell knows? confused24.gif

T
JmuRiz
All I know is my 60' time is about 10 years thus far...so mine isn't very quick biggrin.gif
BIGKAT_83
1stWorks 13.24 time would be a 12.4 or better time at sea level.

Watch this video of a friends old beat up Camaro. Be sure and watch it to the end you never know what will show up at the Friday night drags around home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXvdZAwnDwQ
1stworks
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Feb 12 2018, 03:29 PM) *

Watch this video of a friends old beat up Camaro. Be sure and watch it to the end you never know what will show up at the Friday night drags around home.

Good stuff in that video but probably pretty tough for a Porsche to go into the 9's

My setup has been pretty bomb proof.Spent crazy money on my cv's and custom shafts.
Funny thing I'm running open differential with 205 50 15 tires and a horrible launch but still do ok time.I'm not a drag racer never even on a drag strip b4 that run.
It's exhilarating to line up at the tree and let it loose in the right place.
Good times.

1stworks
IPB Image
1stworks
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 12 2018, 02:56 PM) *

Seriously, probably about 12 or so but who the hell knows? confused24.gif

T

Yeah right 12's lol....

My 5.3 junkyard motor runs that,you Sir have 7l with Fatty's rubber.
I'd love to see your car in person its beautiful.
Justinp71
QUOTE(1stworks @ Feb 12 2018, 04:54 PM) *

Good stuff in that video but probably pretty tough for a Porsche to go into the 9's

My setup has been pretty bomb proof.Spent crazy money on my cv's and custom shafts.
Funny thing I'm running open differential with 205 50 15 tires and a horrible launch but still do ok time.I'm not a drag racer never even on a drag strip b4 that run.
Good times.

Pretty good time. What motor/trans combo are you running?

Drag racing can be fun, not too bad on the pocket book too which is nice (I mean costs on race day). Its a lot of fun with muscle cars, because its one of the few places you can legally get on it and burn rubber!

1stworks
IPB Image
1stworks
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 12 2018, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(1stworks @ Feb 12 2018, 04:54 PM) *

Good times.

Pretty good time. What motor/trans combo are you running?

Drag racing can be fun, not too bad on the pocket book too which is nice (I mean costs on race day). Its a lot of fun with muscle cars, because its one of the few places you can legally get on it and burn rubber!

2004 5.3l LS 2004 boxster S 6 speed.
Renagade gear.
mskala
I don't take the car to the drag strip, but I did measure 0-60 at 6.6 seconds. My -6
has a 2.3L at around 9.4:1 compression. (I took out the spare tire to save weight smile.gif

tazz9924
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 12 2018, 09:03 AM) *

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Feb 10 2018, 03:52 PM) *

That't pretty quick. What trans/motor are you running? I'm still running the 901 trans, 1st gear I'd probably destroy it. 2nd gear launch is either a little soft or I have to use alot of clutch. I have a 915 trans I need to install...

I'm in the area, it would be cool to watch you go down the strip next time you go...

Subaru wrx engine, Subaru Legacy tranny, and ill try and let u know, my drag racing schedule is random based apon my levels of fear that my car will break at the time!
GeorgeRud
Many years ago, when the PCA Parade was based in Cincinati, they had an event at a local drag strip. I seem to remember that someone with a modified -6 got into the 12s, but it’s been too many years to remember.
Cracker
Thank you...it ain't that nice really - it is a loosely-legalized race car with good manners. The challenge in making a "Porsche" - a normal one any way - do well in drags is it is obviously a fish out of water. Take the typical 9-second car to Road Atlanta or Barber - yeah right, ain't happening! Vice versa for a Porsche road-race car on the strip. One approach does not check all the performance boxes - something has to give.

Tony

QUOTE(1stworks @ Feb 12 2018, 08:08 PM) *

I'd love to see your car in person its beautiful.
Justinp71
QUOTE(1stworks @ Feb 12 2018, 05:11 PM) *

IPB Image

Probably surprised the cr@p out of that challenger... I bet your car could do a lot better than a 13.2. Every tenth of a second on the first 60feet = 2 tenths at the end. More practice would probably lead to better launching which would give you better times.
1stworks
Probably surprised the cr@p out of that challenger... I bet your car could do a lot better than a 13.2. Every tenth of a second on the first 60feet = 2 tenths at the end. More practice would probably lead to better launching which would give you better times.
[/quote]

I surprise a lot of people with how quick my 914 is especially in the mountains.

The car has fully built chassis and suspension so it handles really well too.
The 6 speed cable shift hydro clutch is so sweet,probably my favorite part of swap.

There such cool cars.

IPB Image
Justinp71

[/quote]

I surprise a lot of people with how quick my 914 is especially in the mountains.

The 6 speed cable shift hydro clutch is so sweet,probably my favorite part of swap.

There such cool cars.

[/quote]

What did you do for chassis upgrades (Curious)? Engman and GT kit?
1stworks
[quote name='Justinp71' date='Feb 16 2018, 11:34 AM' post='2579767']
[/quote]

There such cool cars.

[/quote]

What did you do for chassis upgrades (Curious)? Engman and GT kit?
[/quote]

Full chassis stiffening kit.longs and through out rear of car.Boxed trailing arms.
1/2 roll cage with down bars.

You can jack up car anywhere and it lifts the hole side of car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.