Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennshifter Adjustment Challenges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
On another thread I read so many glowing comments about the Rennshifter, had to get one. After about 15 adjustments it feels ok, BUTT (does this thread make my but look big?) when the car is stone cold (garage temp 45*) getting into 2nd now involves some grinding and 4th and 5th are unobtainium until i drive the cat stuck in 2nd and 3rd long enough to warm up the tranny and the everything shifts great. Everything snicks into place relatively well with no grinding.

I understand metal experiences thermal expansion so (thinking out loud) when things are cold the tolerances are too tight and if not 100% spot on in adjustment this is the result. The issue then is adjusting the shifter when it’s 30-40* outside before the tranny warms up enough OR I just don’t drive it until the temps reach 50 degrees in the mornings.

Will letting the car idle for a few minutes warm up the tranny too, or does it only gain heat through convection? Guess I could try idling for a few minutes to find out.

This adjustment thing is driving me mad.
mepstein
It should be a no brainer in all weather. Make sure nothing is rubbing in the tunnel.
Steve
The rennshift will not fix bad shift rod bushings or bad synchros in the trans. It’s just icing on the cake. Did you have these problems with the old shifter?
Steve
Is this still a tail shifter or updated to side shifter? Hopefully you started with a side shifter.
SirAndy
The Rennshifter adjusts just like the stock shifter, there's nothing different about the adjustment procedure.

Your problems aren't with the Rennshift ...
shades.gif
thieuster
Did you check the gearbox oil level? And are you sure that the type of oil is the correct one for the temps in your region?

The check the box side of the shifter - and what the others wrote.

M
naro914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 11 2018, 01:58 PM) *

The Rennshifter adjusts just like the stock shifter, there's nothing different about the adjustment procedure.

Your problems aren't with the Rennshift ...
shades.gif

I agree.
We have Rennshifts on both cars (and changed the 901 version to a 915 version on Papa Smurf...so have had 3) and needed very little adjustment and shift like gates. The issues you are experiencing are not shifter related, they are trans, fluids, or possibly clutch adjustment.
RickS
All shift rod bushings are like new. The one in the tunnel is bronze.

The car is a side shift.

Tranny fluid is topped off.

Did not experience this with the stock shifter other than a slight grinding going into second if I wasn’t careful to push the shift lever far enough to the right. If I didn’t concentrate on how to shift into second, then I would snick reverse.

Thinking the issue could be in the tranny since shifting has never been smooth into all gears. Balkiness seems to move around on the shift planes. One day getting into 2-3 is easy and 4th takes an extra shove. Another day getting to 4 is easy but 5 takes extra effort. Then balkiness might move to 2nd. It’s very odd how it moves around. Might be time to have it gone through.

Thanks to all who responded.
naro914
What your describing usually happens if either of the little set screws are even a tick loose. Or...if the bolts are loose on the trans mount that hold the trans to the chassis (ask me how I know!)
Or if the adjuster in the tunnel that connects the rods together is loose. Since it sounds inconsistent, something in the shifting is not secure.

If you can get it onto a lift, take off the boot at the rear console and have someone shift it as you watch and see if it hits each gear. Then grab move it into and out of gears yourself by moving the rod forward and back, and rotating the ball and cup in and out of the trans and into each gear. Many times you can feel where it’s loose and if it’s in the trans or in the linkage.

And finally, check your clutch. You may be right at the edge of engaging it or not, so it may or may not want to go into gear because it’s not completely engaged. Mine is pretty sensitive...just a few turns on the tightening nuts on the clutch cable is the difference between smooth and notchy shifting.

Good luck.
RickS
Thanks Naro, I will definitely look into the points mentioned. Good advice.
EdwardBlume
Have you smacked yourself in the forehead yet?

If not, adjust the bolts again. Get the car to line up with the 4th / 5th first. If you can’t do that, loosen the bolts ever so slightly, and put it in from the tranny. My first install with the early version and later the later, all went the same.

Otherwise, give up and let me know when you want to sell it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.