Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Made Factory Console Gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I had a bunch of 52mm VDO old style gauges so I thought I would see how they would fit inside the stock 60mm gauge. Turns out they are drop in. You simply use the spacer rings from the two gauges and you have plug and play(new plastic ones won't work).. Sent them to North Hollywood for rings ($135). Used the later Volt so all the gauge faces are the same size, plus I liked the bright markings.
sithot
Slick.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(sithot @ Feb 11 2018, 02:02 PM) *

Slick.

agree.gif agree.gif

Looking good!
Dave_Darling
You may notice that the later voltage gauge is pretty heavily filtered, so it does not react nearly as strongly to things light the turn signal or brake lights...

--DD
gothspeed
Awesome! popcorn[1].gif

Does 914Sixer do this type of gauge/kit?

With silver dot too?
914Sixer
Sorry, I have never tackled one of those. Installing silver center is easy though. Destroy a combo fuel gauge and drill out the center post rivet. Pop base off and transfer hole location to three way gauge center. Rivet on post and glue cap.
Mikey914
Actually easier to just cut a new piece of 1/4" plywood to the new gauge sizes and recover. No extra rings required.
gothspeed
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 12 2018, 11:57 AM) *

Sorry, I have never tackled one of those. Installing silver center is easy though. Destroy a combo fuel gauge and drill out the center post rivet. Pop base off and transfer hole location to three way gauge center. Rivet on post and glue cap.

How about one like the one you sold except with oil pressure instead of temp?
914Sixer
Three way requires lots of cutting on the back and redrilling holes.
gothspeed
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 12 2018, 12:08 PM) *

Three way requires lots of cutting on the back and redrilling holes.

What about two way with Pressure instead of temp? like the one pictured above smile.gif
914Sixer
I pulled the trim rings because the needles were faded and the glass was clouded.

Three way conversion works best with later 75-76 that only has one hole cut in the bottom.
aturboman
Great idea and results...

I did something similar for a special build I'm working on.

Different requirements from your gauges but a common theme here, custom shrunken gauges biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.