Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buy the engine and trans, get the car for free...$15,500 1975 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
rad23racer
I'm sorry I don't have any pictures at this point. If there is interest in the car, I will meet locals or take pictures for those of you that aren't close.

Last May, I bought this car needing a clutch and planned to fix the clutch, drive it for the summer, and probably move it on. When I got the engine and trans out, I discovered that the engine was worn out and needed a full rebuild. I took the engine to FAT in Orange and one thing led to another and I had around $13k into the engine rebuild. It's a 2056 with ported heads and basically everything they do to an engine short of more displacement. Once that was done, I took the trans to Rancho Trans in Fullerton and they did a quality rebuild but didn't go crazy. That was another $2500 or so.

While the engine and trans were out, I wanted to clean up the engine bay and once I got into the car, discovered that there was rust under the tank as well as under the seats and a repair in the rear trunk. The rust, along with some other body issues, have me stopped in my tracks. I'm decent at mechanical work but body work is not something I should be doing. Unfortunately, the quotes I am getting lead me to believe I'm going to be another $10k into this car before it's ready to put back together. I just don't know that I am ready to spend that much more money on this car.

If I could get what I have into the engine and transmission (have all documentation), I would include the chassis for free. There are new tires and powdercoated wheels on the car.

I have a trailer and will be happy to transport the car for you anywhere in SoCal (outside SoCal within reason...we can talk.)

Please feel free to give me a call at 760.684.9584 or email me at rad23racer@gmail.com.

The car is located in Norco, CA.

Thank you.
Rick
Tdskip
How bad is the rust? I'd be willing too help get it structurally sound...
rad23racer
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 12 2018, 05:57 AM) *

How bad is the rust? I'd be willing too help get it structurally sound...

I'd be interested in talking to you about getting the body done. My phone number is listed. I have the day off today if you would like to meet in Norco and see the car in person. I don't think it would be that bad for someone with bodywork experience. The person I got a quote from was doing concours level restoration and I just want a driver.
Tdskip
Will try to call later today BUT I'm not a fit and finish body guy and want to be super clear upfront.

I can help you make her structurally solid as (part of the community) but if exterior ugly is the issue she will still be ugly.
rad23racer
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 12 2018, 10:19 AM) *

Will try to call later today BUT I'm not a fit and finish body guy and want to be super clear upfront.

I can help you make her structurally solid as (part of the community) but if exterior ugly is the issue she will still be ugly.

Sounds perfect. I'm looking for structure. The pretty can wait until everything is working.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.