Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-plating II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
About a week ago i decided to give the plating shop in Indy the chance to correct their mistake of poorly replating my 914 parts. Drove to Indy yesterday afternoon and picked up my re-replated parts. The "yellow" zinc dichromate parts look good biggrin.gif . Not as good as I expected. I was told by the owner that they would go above and beyond to correct their mistake and get the parts to look great. They didn't! Still a couple of flaws that shouldn't be there, but stuff that I can work with and then they will look great on the car. He did a poor job again on the replating of the silver parts. So he took a scotch brite pad to them to polish them up. Well that left scratches in the finish headbang.gif The guy proved to me in several ways that he is just basically a dumbass. I'll need to put a little time into the silver parts, I'll get them to look better before I put them on the car.

All in all a fairly shitty first plating experience! But...I'll have the parts looking great before they are installed.

By chance any of you need plating work done in Indianapolis, stay away from Metal Finishing Co.! The owner, Damian Mc Dowell, is pretty much full of shit and is not at all opposed to lying face to face. This guy talked a fantastic talk but doesn't deliver what he promises. And while I'm at it -his prices are too high!

Here is some pics. The zinc di-chromate parts really do look pretty good. Only a couple of flaws that many folks wouldn't care about. But I am damn picky!
Doug Leggins
another
Doug Leggins
last one
CptTripps
I was just wondering last night "I wonder how Doug is making out with the re-plating?"

That looks TONS better than before. Damn nice in my book...

I'm REAL glad you are on the road to putting that mess behind you.

neo914-6
just for reference, what did that batch set you back?
CptTripps
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 2 2005, 01:54 PM)

*I* sure wasn't going to be the one to ask that!
Pnambic
Dang it Doug, ya shoulda told me you were up here.
I got something for ya. dry.gif smile.gif

Call me next time you're up here.
Eric_Shea
Looks a lot better Doug.

If you have another batch, throw them in a $7.70 Priority box. I go once a week and I can get a killer price. Plus their clear (silver) looks almost like chrome. You can send a bunch with your calipers!! w00t.gif

Coming to Indy next month... that's another thread.
Lou W
CptTripps Posted on Jun 2 2005, 12:04 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 2 2005, 01:54 PM)

*I* sure wasn't going to be the one to ask that!  
Neo914 Posted on Jun 2 2005, 11:54 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great question, I'm getting my parts together for the same reason, what should I expect to pay?

Your car is an inspiration. smilie_pokal.gif
Doug Leggins
Great question, I'm getting my parts together for the same reason, what should I expect to pay?

Not such a great question for me - LOL

DON"T PAY WHAT I PAID! I Paid too much in $$ and aggrivation!!!

I asked the board about pricing when i put my batch together. The expected cost for the batch that I had done was about $80 - $200. That's a large range and I still missed it!

This is tough laugh.gif I paid $258.

I knew that this was a high price, but I was talked into believing that I would have parts that were absolutely fantastic when they were done. Well...what a piece of work that Damian is.
Allan
What are those comb looking pieces?
Andyrew
For the seat latch...

Tooth in the seat rail alows the seat to lean forward and back when it sits in one of the comb teeth...

Allan
AHA, thanks...
Doug Leggins
Dang it Doug, ya shoulda told me you were up here.

I thought about calling you but I have your cell phone number in the center console of my truck and it won't let me in. My console likes to screw with me - It goes through periods when it won't open no matter what i try. Then a few days later it will open right up. confused24.gif It's a 2001 Chevy Silverado. Anyone else with this problem?

If you have another batch, throw them in a $7.70 Priority box. I go once a week and I can get a killer price. Plus their clear (silver) looks almost like chrome. You can send a bunch with your calipers!!  

Coming to Indy next month... that's another thread.

Thanks Eric! I'll likely send you some parts - maybe even the silver ones that you see in the pic biggrin.gif As for the calipers, I'm still battling them and I think that I'm winning. Time will tell.

Let me know when your going to be in indy. maybe a group of us can get together. And I'm only about an hour south, maybe you'll have time to visit nashville and check out the project.

What are those comb looking pieces?

Those are brakets that allow you to select the seat tilt adjusment using the lever on the side of the seat. They mount to the crossmember on the floor that is right under the front of the seats.
Lou W
Doug,
Thanks for the info on the price, I don't think thats all that bad, I doubt you could replace those parts new for that. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.